Bj42 - RHD Power steering options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
Have had a look around the forum for power steering options for a 1981 RHD bj42. Have seen loads of options for our but not RHD.
Would a factory setup from a bj42 with power steering just "bolt on" or would there be some more required?
Thanks in advance

1960's-70's Chevy Pickups have their steering gear box mounted outside the left frame rail (in the wheel well), I'm thinking this might work nicely on the inside of the right hand frame rail ?????

EZ electric power steering, they make a setup for the 40 left or right hand drive looked at it when my BJ41 was on the water but then didnt need it when as a complete suprise it arrived with OEM PS. It was also in a recent thread on mud as well looks pretty good and no power drain from belts and pulleys.

I do see some ps gearboxes on eBay every so often for RHD

There is also @Racer65 electric ps conversion
Are the oem boxes just a direct bolt on?
I know I'd need the pump etc but will they just bolt directly on or is there more work involved?

It seems like I've read that you have to swap out or modify your steering column as well, but someone who has done it or knows more than me can jump in now. There are a ton of threads on this. I can't find the link to a good one I saved. If I do I will post it.

It all just bolts in but you will need to have an additional pulley for the crank as well as a shorter steering shaft. Or you can shorten the shaft that you have.

You could also source a RHD 60 series box and do the same conversion as a LHD truck. Its much more work but it eliminates the relay rod giving more clearance for larger tires without reducing your turning radius.
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom