BJ42 1982 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mud community from Manchester, UK. Just joined the forum and hope I will be able to contribute as well as benefit from the wisdom of so many contributors here.

I am in the process of buying a BJ42, year model 1982, LHD, 3.5 l Diesel vehicle. Wanted to know if anyone can please point me in the right direction. I the BJ42 the same as the BJ40 or the FJ40? My concern is only related to parts which I will be buying in the near future from companies in the US since the UK is very light on producing spares for these vehicles.

Any direction or guidance will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to Mud. If you post in the diesel/24 volt part of the forum you will get in contact with those more knowledgeable than here. Diesel Tech / 24 volts

Just looking at them the differences between the FJ and the BJ bodies is minimal, but there are some big differences in the drive train. Find out exactly what motor (serial number is important), transmission, you have as different motors need different variations of transmissions, etc.

By the way, pics will help as a visual aid in identification, and in our addiction.

Don

BJ42 : bJ 40 is a smaller displacement motor with a 4 speed tranny. The BJ42 up to 1982 are 4 speeds and standard steering.
1983 -1984 models are 5 speed and power steering, they are rare and sought after ! Noticeable by the silver dash cover.
US. did not receive diesel landcruisers, any there will be imports or transplants.
Yes posting in the diesel section is your best search for info.
There are many that have body filler in them or aftermarket bodies such as aluminum ( Aqualuu ) fibreglass and steel replacement parts.
What ever you do '' don't rush'' with your decision to purchase until you are well informed about the vehicle and can spot a deal in a heart beat !
What to look for : rear spring mounting plate tend to rust out, check the frame also ! where the body bolts to the frame under the driver and passenger seat - tends to deteriorate. rear corner frame also. Get a good magnet to check for body filler.
Checking the milage and compression very important.
1980 up to 1984 bj models had the gas tank under the body where the previous models had a small gas tank under the passenger seat.
Parts : diesel parts can be found in the US. and also there are some Canadian companies like Wholesale Offroad Parts and Accessories - LANDCRUISER PARTS | 4wheel Auto , extremebends.com
Your best help will be to connect with people in your country , they will steer you write just like this web site !

Cheers
JMac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom