Birfield assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

star is right. cage is right. i suspect the cage or star is a little worn as I can use a screwdriver and spin the star inside the cage so that your "little" side of star faces the tapered side of cage. (the "big" side of star should face the tapered side of cage and both the "big" side of star and the tapered side of cage should face out of the birfield cup when assembled)

i worked on this for 2 hours and every thing was lubed

I got my finger stuck in mine once or twice over the years because I didn't use a screwdriver :). Once time I seriously thought I would need to call someone to help me get my finger out...hehe.

Be careful! :)

funny you should mention that as I took a good pinch last night. I don't know what else to do save give up on this birf.

Part of the problem is that when I put the inner axle shaft into the star splines (while whole assembly is in cup and 1 ball is in place) and try to rotate the star so as to open the hole opposite the 1 ball; in this situation the cage tends to not rotate up and out of the way with the star. thus I cant get the 4 ball into its hole oposite the 1 ball. I believe the cage and star arn't cooperating. or perhaps the cup and cage dont get along. or perhaps Im a moron

Dusty,
I struggled with this when trying to follow the drawings in the FSM. They are not the drawings of an 80 birfield. Look at Raven's picture carefully and be sure you have the assembly correct. It WILL assembly WRONG. BTDT, but it won't feel right until you have it assembled correctly.

The only other possibility is that the you are using the wrong parts. (star, balls, cage, tulip.)

-B-

Now I am starting to wonder if mine was assembled wrong...about a month and a half ago? No wheeling since then, but as i posted a while back, when i accelerate straight ahead there is a "walk" to the front end for a few seconds..does anyone know if the Haynes, or other manual I have has the right pics? not with me right now....

Ok make sure I have this correct. Thinner tapered edge of cage goes up, and the "big side" of the star goes up as you assemble the birf, so this would end up being the inboard side. Here's a pic the pics...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414366197.226279.jpg
tapered side up
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414366241.941902.jpg
tapered side down
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414366282.471934.jpg
"big side"up
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414366348.470373.jpg
combined with tapered side up and "big side up"

Is this right??

Anyone??? Hoping to put this back together tonight if possible. Just want to make sure it is right so I don't have to tear down again.

Also - ? on grease recommendation. Birf uses moly - ok got it. What about bearings for rebuild. Read that the moly may be too slippery for rollers on bearings - Would you use something like Mobil 1 grease for the bearings (trunion, wheel, etc). Thanks for the recs. Hoping to get this all buttoned up.

Hopefully these pics will help someone else know what it should look like. I had a hard time seeing the other pics well enough to discern correct orientation.

Old thread brought back! Yes what you have done looks correct to me. Mobil 1 grease should be fine. Hard to keep those grease types separate no doubt after you tires have been spinning a few miles if ya ask me anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom