Builds Big Green Buffalo Build Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great! Do you work for Toyota/Lexus as a mechanic? High quality stuff you're doing.

Random question I know, but what type of black paint are you using? Anything special?

Is there a reason why you went with the factory style clamp vs a constant torque clamp like "BREEZE"? I think the breeze constant torque clamps are a little bulky on small hoses like the PHH.

40432350873_09582a1472_b.jpg

Why did you need to take the motor out and go through it? It looked perfect internally before you started.

Haha it all started with the oil pump cover, then it needed a radiator, ordered a big aluminum rad, wasnt gonna be here for 3 weeks, then the “lets do the head gasket for maintence” kicked in, then someine said “pull the engine so you can do the rear main too.” So i did, then it was check bearings while youre in there, then its replace them while you have it apart......... oh and the rad showed up in 3 days....

I went from $2.14 to $4k real quick..

At least ill never have to work on it again, hopefully..

speaking of aluminum radiator..

Untitled by bill bill, on Flickr

it does not fit very well, so its not installed yet, just sitting there right now..

power steering is all hooked up

i started on the rear heater bypass stuff. the observant amongst you probably saw that i removed the pipes for the rear heater, while the trans was out.

this s*** radiator had to be spaced up to fit and now i have to figure out how to lower it again just enough to close the hood...

BUT THE TRUCK RUNS!!!! fresh heart for this buffalo!

and dont forget to check out my highly engineered temporary exhaust setup...

had to have new keys for it..

installed a hat rack

this was the last time the engine looked that clean... also, i just put an engine in that 100 series..

i broke the engine in slowly and carefully. i have a little over 500 miles on it now. ive changed the oil 5 times, the first time was after about 5-7 minutes of run time, then after a 5 mile drive, then 65ish miles, then 300ish then again at about 480. i cut all those filters open and inspected for metal and debris, the first filter had a few flakes but nothing im worried about, probably leftovers from machining and honing and/or from the 288k previous miles and worn rod bearings. i keep finding black stuff in the filters that i can only assume is old sludge and carbon, ill continue cutting filters until they look nice and clean. it runs amazing!!! i ran some injector cleaner through it, filled it up with premium, and set base timing at 8 degrees. it moves pretty decently for a pile of steel.

the buffalo has been off road a few times already, thats basically going to be its life. we did tray mountian, for all of georgia area dudes.. that was its real shake down run, first long trip, first time taking on a trail, first time in low gear(not that i needed it), lots of firsts. we were having so much fun that we dont have any pictures of that day..

but, i sure do have have some picture of the second time off road..

so i work for lexus, hennessy lexus, hennessy is a family name, the hennessys own 10 dealerships, one of them is a land rover, they also own a very large farm, and on that farm there was a land rover proving ground course and bingo was its name-o. they were kind enough to allow a few of us to camp and wheel for a few days, so we did.

we camped on the back lake, fished on the front lake, shot guns at the range, and wheeled the course. what a weekend!

by bill bill, on Flickr

by bill bill, on Flickr

look for the red steel in the back... 250 yds

VIDEO vvvvv

i pulled the drivers door off for some much needed maintenance. the previous owner replaced the hinges and didnt do a very good job. so i clamped a piece of steel to the door side of the hinges and made sure they moved freely and fully aligned, i tightened them properly to the body, drilled out the broken bolt in the door and cut new threads and chased the threads on the other 3 holes. i reinstalled the door and what do you know, it closes smoothly now. i pulled the fender out a bit, i still need a new one, its cracked and beyond reasonable repair, but it looks better for now.. i also installed a new door check and lubed up all the window stuff. AND i cleaned all the green snow cone stuff from the window switch.. these were the only pictures i have of any of that work.

added some 2" spacers i had left over from a pals old 4runner lift kit. it leveled the truck nicely and cost me nothing, except for the $98 in new shocks i was forced to buy because the old ones snapped when i attempted to remove the bottom nuts..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom