BFG OnTrail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
BFG has a new offroad oriented navigation app. I was interviewed a few times for this and was the reason we were able to get a set of tires to raffle in 2019. For anyone interested, it is supposed to compete with Gaia and OnX, and have offroad community based interaction.

I already have a few thoughts from the few days I have played with it, but let me know yours as I have a followup with BFG later for feedback.

For anyone wanting to give it a try, the link below give you some promotional discounts.

How much does it cost for the membership? Seems like they're integrating discounts with tire purchases, which is neat if you're looking to buy tires.

I know someone who worked on the mapping aspect. Looks like a great app.
Drives a monster YJ?

How much does it cost for the membership? Seems like they're integrating discounts with tire purchases, which is neat if you're looking to buy tires.
$35. The tire discount is good through that link. If you just download the app and register like I did it doesn't apply 😐

Drives a monster YJ?

$35. The tire discount is good through that link. If you just download the app and register like I did it doesn't apply 😐
Scrambler
6E942FFB-832A-441D-B117-FA74D5DB2EBD.jpeg

How do you get the tire discount? I went through the link and signed up but haven’t received an email or anything…. I’ll be buying tires this weekend and wanted to get the rebate! I have been trying to contact support with no success!

Been hearing a fair bit about this new app. If Cartotracks is in it then I'm encouraged. His other products are extremely useful. Windrock is missing out bigtime here. Their app and related map is atrocious.

How do you get the tire discount? I went through the link and signed up but haven’t received an email or anything…. I’ll be buying tires this weekend and wanted to get the rebate! I have been trying to contact support with no success!
This is what is on the bottom of the linked page. I don’t know beyond that.
1624368974330.png

They said that I could purchase the tires and after the 15 day trial period, I could become a paying subscriber and I would receive the rebate code!

The one thing I'm not happy about is some of the trails they have on it in our area. We do such a good job of not posting up these spots due to the fact they are already under pressure to being shut down. If they want to put these on the app that's fine but when the traffic doubles and these couple trails get closed I'm going to expect them to step up to the plate and help get the trail reopened.

The one thing I'm not happy about is some of the trails they have on it in our area. We do such a good job of not posting up these spots due to the fact they are already under pressure to being shut down. If they want to put these on the app that's fine but when the traffic doubles and these couple trails get closed I'm going to expect them to step up to the plate and help get the trail reopened.
A double edged sword. It could bring more positive support to an area to keep it from getting shut down from the already present irresponsible pressure. They do have "missions" in the app, which are short training aids, that have some tread lightly information mixed in. Unfortunately, I am too cynical and agree with you on the dangers.

When I did their focus group, BB was specifically cited by me as a concern for social input mapping. No, I didn't tell them where, but expressed my concerns about geotagging and land pressure that was already becoming an issue from other platforms. I was surprised to see that they have it specifically mapped already and wonder what their source was to ID it.

Well, I just discovered one deal breaker for me. No tablet support at all - it's specifically for phone screens only. And it only interfaces in portrait mode, so you cannot rotate your screen while using it to get a wider view. It appears as if this was intentional by the app designers and they might roll out tablet usage later. So until then, I'll save my $35.

Here's how it loads on my iPad mini
OnTrail-TabletView.png

Random review and response from developer:
OnTrail-Review.jpg

Last edited:
It does give you the option to "fill screen" but you lose resolution in the process. It just seems like a really big oversight on the developer side - I mean every competitor in this genre of apps has a full size tablet option and landscape mode. For me, when we are traveling in adventure mode, the tablet is exclusively for navigation mounted just above my center console. Then my phone is on a mag mount for easy access when I want to jump out and snap a pic.

The argument for portrait mode is only valid if you use POV navigation mode, versus North always up mode. I tend to use N always up mode to keep my brain on track with the sun's position - I know that's not always the popular mode, its just the way my brain works. It drives me nuts when printed park maps are not oriented N up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom