Best quality starter that lasts for 1991 HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my family bought a 1991 Toyota's land cruiser hdj81 4.2 TD ( right-hand drive) and after a month or two the starter quit and we bought a new one on eBay.ca for about 400 dollars CAD. 6-8 months later its in our garage clicking and not cranking and we found ou the starter went bad and we need a new one. we got ours rebuilt but the thing is we put the starter in and it pops out and spins but it sounds like it doesn't reache the fly wheel so I think the guy who rebuilt it didn't do it right so we're just gonna buy a new starter. were not sure which starter to buy because we don't it to break 6 months down the road!! does anyone have a link or something for a really good quality 24-volt starter !! by the way I live in Canada so I don't know if some sites will ship to Canada.

thanks we need a answer ASAP

Not sure which one you bought off eBay, I bought a Bosch 12V starter from eBay to eliminate the 12-24v switching solenoid as they are expensive and prone to failure anyway. I can't speak for it's longevity as I've only been running it (trouble free) for a year, but build quality seemed good.

Genuine Starter Motor Fits Toyota Landcruiser 4.2L Diesel 1HZ 1HD-FT 1HD-FE 1HDT | eBay

The add doesn't state it, but I enquired and this is the 12v 2.5 kw version, I would contact them before ordering and confirm nothing has changed. Are you certain you received a 24v starter and not a 12v? I only ask because there aren't many on eBay and the add doesn't specify.

Edit: in Canada as well.

So yesterday I emailed the company and they said it's not the right one and the one they said was right is for a Toyota bus and the bracket part is on a different angle. Is your cruiser a 24 volt or 12 volt. I don't know if the starter would work because 24 volts is really powerful and might brake something, when we pulled out our starter we took a look inside and gears were broken

My suggestion was to buy a 12v starter and remove the 12-24v solenoid. The only thing on your hdj81 that is 24v is the starter, everything else is 12v.

I'm trying to do some research but how do I connect all the wires?? I know there is 4 main wires going to this converter thing ( is it the one on the right side when looking in front of the truck?) do I connect plus to plus and minus to minus and I have some little wires on one main converter do I just hook it up with the main connector just like it was ? i hope you can understand me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom