"Best" 4 or 6 cyl for swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Wondering if there is a "best" engine to use for a swap into a Toyota Stout pick up. I only need 2wd. I'd be looking for something that was dead simple to get wired up and running right... no electronics, would like fuel injection but not necessary. manual transmission if i can get the shifter in the right place....
2wd Toyota pick up to start?
Mark

I ran a 3RZ and it was great. Probably more wiring that you are looking for though. Nowadays I have gone carb. I like the 20r the best but a 22r isn't bad. I also ran the 20r/22r hybrid and it was fun but I don't think it has anything on my current cammed up 20r.

2rz came in the 2wd Tacos and are cheap!

22re is a well known and documented solution.

1.9tdi from VW is a good fit, also well documented. Also very little wiring involved.

Last edited:
i would go for a 22-re and swap in a 20r head. youll get fuel injection and its a simple engine to work on and you can also add on a turbo if you want as there was a 22-rte which was a turbo version of the 22-re from the factory

You can't put a 20r head on with 22re EFI. The intake side is totally different so the manifold won't match up. 20r is round intake ports and 22r/re is square.

I had a 215 Buick aluminum V8 in an '80 pickup once. That was interesting and simple.

Odd as it sounds, can source later, larger displacement versions of the Olds 215 from Rovers of most sorts. I think they go up to about 275 cubes in basically the same block.

Otherwise do what everyone else is doing, go LSx.

Spoil-sport!

OK then, a Toyota 5V-EU would be too cool!

20r, 22r, 2rz have been suggested. i don't have a lean at this point. More research into physical size, ease of wiring and availability/price would be next.... but at this point I have not secured the patient truck.
(looking for help to put eyes on it in Walla Walla WA...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom