Best 31.5-32" tires for stock FJ62 wheels

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
Trying to keep highway/daily driving good while also getting the best tire for offroad. Don't want to go to 33s as I may also have lots of distance traveling. Anyone have recommendations based upon what they've used? There's so much out there it boggles the mind.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed a post but didn't find anything in my searches.

Probably a 235/85/16 (31.7 inch) tyre of a reputable firm, e.g. TOYO M55 would do the job right.

If you prefer a Mud (and budget) tyre, you may consider something like the NANKANG Mudstar N889 (Taiwan, not the P.R.C.) same size:

PS. In both cases you do preserve the original look too!

215-85-16.jpg

Nankang Mudstar Radial MT N889.jpg

Last edited:

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
Probably a 235/85/16 (31.7 inch) tyre of a reputable firm, e.g. TOYO M55 would do the job right.

If you prefer a Mud (and budget) tyre, you may consider something like the NANKANG Mudstar N889 (Taiwan, not the P.R.C.) same size:

PS. In both cases you do preserve the original look too!

View attachment 2985527

View attachment 2985546
Thanks for the advice. Definitely not getting a mud tire. All terrain will do well as I will be doing a lot of on road driving as well and no mudding or rock crawling (yet ;) )

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
BFG AT-31x10.5R15.
Is there a specific reason you prefer those? Is that the same as the BFGoodrich 69948 All-Terrain T/A KO2 31x10.50R15/C 109S Tire?
Seems like there are a few variations or people are calling the same thing by different names. Appreciate your time.

Devils Paw 80

SILVER Star
I believe those are the same, yes. These tires last a long time, work well on all surfaces and aren't noisy. They also aren't so much bigger than stock that you notice much of a performance loss. I ran them for many years on my FJ62 with original wheels for awhile before switching the tires to a slightly wider 15" wheel.

I also had them on a 1985 4Runner a few decades ago.

DUTCHDJ1

SILVER Star
May I pick your brain some more? So you're still on 15" but went with a wider one? What led to that decision? Not doubting at all, just trying to learn. Thanks for your time.

Devils Paw 80

SILVER Star
Good question. In hindsight, it was a mistake. With a wider tire it’s arguably better to have a wider rim, though not quite necessary with this combo we’re discussing. Mine were getting a bit rusty so I bought some flashy old school white wagon wheels, 15x8.

Stock cruiser wheels are always the best choice IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom