Before- June Ramble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping you guys could give me some insight before going to the June Ramble. Keep in mind my 97 is pretty much stock and I am mindful of a budget.

1) What 3 things would you suggest I do before going.
My Answer: Sliders, Tires and front bumper

2) Mechanically what should I go over pryor to going ?
My answer: I can go home to my Dad's Mechanic shop in Tuscaloosa - so i am looking for suggestions.

My brother is going with me and snores like a buzz saw so.... no worries for critters and nice to have mechanic along. Maybe we can convince him that he need not get married in October.

Sliders, tires and lift. You will eventually do the bumper but I'd spend the money on the lift instead of the bumper at this time.

Ok so how can i tell what i have now with lift. I know i have an ole man suspension kit from Urbamn Outfitters years ago and was done in 09.

I was going to ask the same question. Would 31" tires be sufficient? I don't plan on going on any of the crazier trails but just enough to have some fun.

Didn't know you had a lift already. You don't know how much lift? Holla at Chris (wct49) and he can hook you up with some tires. 285's is what you need.

Your truck is to nice to not put sliders on it first. I need to sell some tires but you need sliders.
I wouldn't take that truck on trails rated over a #1 without them.

If you need additional lift before you can afford a new kit you could always use Mr. Gasket pucks for the time being.

Also, buy some descent recovery gear, first aid kit and a fire putter outer.

Sliders will save your arse. First day out in mine they caught a huge tree and saved me who knows how much money. I tightened last bolt about 3 hours before this happened.

door ding

You can see in the pic where the mud is scraped off the slider. If not for the slider it would have been way more expensive.

Bama -

I would take care of the following before you go:

1. Full PM (see post # 7) and flush your coolant, differentials, and an oil change.
  2. Tires - I would go with 285/75/16s - either BFG ATs or BFG MT's (KM2).
  3. Recovery Gear - Snatch Strap, Tow Strap, Shackles (you can hook these to your vehicle or someone elses.
  4. CB Radio - get a Uniden 520 and stick it in the ashtray location.
  5. Sliders - MetalTech

If you do the above you should be good to go. I would also recommend getting some all weather mats for the trip. The last thing you want is some nasty stuff in your interior.

I have a 97 FZJ80...if you want to talk or chat about anything, please let me know. I have literally researched almost everything you can do to an 80 and I may be able to save you some time and energy on certain things.

Cheers.

- Mark

Last edited:
I was going to ask the same question. Would 31" tires be sufficient? I don't plan on going on any of the crazier trails but just enough to have some fun.

David Price bought his 100 up with stock tires in October and got lots of riding done. You will be fine.

David Price bought his 100 up with stock tires in October and got lots of riding done. You will be fine.

Thanks. By then I will have my lift and sliders on for added protection anyway :cheers:

Bama -

I would take care of the following before you go:

1. Full PM (see post # 7) and flush your coolant, differentials, and an oil change.
  2. Tires - I would go with 285/75/16s - either BFG ATs or BFG MT's (KM2).
  3. Recovery Gear - Snatch Strap, Tow Strap, Shackles (you can hook these to your vehicle or someone elses.
  4. CB Radio - get a Uniden 620 and stick it in the ashtray location.
  5. Sliders - MetalTech
If you do the above you should be good to go. I would also recommend getting some all weather mats for the trip. The last thing you want is some nasty stuff in your interior.

I have a 97 FZJ80...if you want to talk or chat about anything, please let me know. I have literally researched almost everything you can do to an 80 and I may be able to save you some time and energy on certain things.

Cheers.

- Mark
Does it have to uniden 620 or just cb radio for us to chat,,,,

Any CB will work but the Uniden 620 will fit in the ash tray location perfectly.

FWIW,

I took my stock height '97 80-series on the same #4 trail that Lenny broke his drive shaft on (in the Zuki) Bomar and Clutchee can verify. All I had was lockers and 33" Nitto TerraGrapplers. I used my running boards as sliders. I just had to jump up and down on them a few times to get the doors to shut afterwards.

I agree with Mark (fjfar80) on what is the minimu to do with your 80. Either way you guys will have a blast, even if you showed up in a Yugo .

Southff4 -

You will love the sliders...one thing I would recommend is sticking some grip tape (the kind you put on stairs) on them. Tubing can be a little slippery when wet and the grip tape solves that issue nicely.

Cheers.

- Mark

Thanks for the idea, I am lookin foward to meeting U guys. I also ordered this today: OKoffroad.com Recovery Gear - Recovery Kit
anybody use this before? Best price kit I could find and Nice to deal with... I guess I will see if it is Junk or not.

Looks pretty complete. I just purchased a snatch strap, tree saver, synthetic rope, and a winch anchor for those times I have nothing close to winch off of.

Already have a few recovery straps laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom