Beer, Blisters and Blood - Breathing Life Back Into 1991 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The name has a little story. I bought it early December. I saw it along side the road for sale as we were driving back from Christmas tree cutting. My 2 yr old who was obsessed with Santa saw it and said Santa truck...red. I laughed and thought finding it was a bit of a Christmas miracle. When I told my brother the story he said you should name it the Slay. So that will probably stick.

Finnish the gas tank refurbish. LC started right up. The gas guage was not working before. Now it is. No leaks! All in all it was too much work. Next time I am getting a new one!!!

Tomorrow I am going in for a new header back exhaust. We will see how that goes.

20210129_202359.jpg

I took it to MexMufflers. It is a local place that has great reviews. After inspection the guy brought me out and asked me if I really wanted a new stainless steel exhaust. He said in broken English. Your truck no good. Too much money for truck like this. I said good point. Let's make it. Standard exhaust from headers back. He said still too much money with a slight smile. I said $1k is worth it to get it going again. He then said he heard a engine knock. Hmmm. I thought I heard it too but hopped it was the exhaust. Ill know in about 3 hours when they are done! I hope it is the bottom end if it is anything!!

Ohhh. The tech also showed me a fairly decent oil leak. It was from a pin hole rust leak on the side of my oil pan. Looks like that is added to the list.

Good to hear. They seemed good. My buddy took his shop truck there and they did a good job.

If someone ever said 'your truck no good' a little part inside me would die.

Keep on it! Happy to see you bringing her back.

Mexmuffler did an excellent job. I am so pleased.
The bad news is the knock is so noticeable. I am hoping it is a main bearing!!!

Thread '1991 3fe rod knock, valve tap, rod connector? How screwed am I?' 1991 3fe rod knock, valve tap, rod connector? How screwed am I? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1991-3fe-rod-knock-valve-tap-rod-connector-how-screwed-am-i.1241067/

Well I am going to pull the motor tomorrow. The plan is to do a compression test with the motor out. If I have good compression I'll do a budget rebuild (everything but the pistons).

If compression is low then I am going to continue the quest for a 3FE that I can drive to pick up.

7 hours and I think I am only half way there. There are hoses that go to hoses that go to hard line that go to hoses. Most bolts are seized. Grinding, drilling and tapping is becoming standard. The good is the broken bolts are all on the front grill and radiator brackets.

I am pretty beat though and pretty damn nervous about how many plugs and hoses I have disconnected. I took pics but it is such a mess.

Looks like I'll need a radiator and AC radiator.

I am hoping to get this thing out on Sunday.

20210219_233024.jpg

20210219_232954.jpg

20210219_212751.jpg

20210219_233042.jpg

3 more hours today and everything is separated except the bell housing. I can't think of any way to get to the top 2 bolts. I think the transmission needs to come down. I am not too happy about that as the cross brace bolts are very seized on. Oh well. Must be done!

20210222_070759.jpg

20210222_070752.jpg

I dropped the tranny support brace and the motor down about 3 inches and found the top bolt very easly. The other top bolt was missing. That is strange. My son chipped my wife's tooth while she was putting away his toys. I had to stop to assess the damage. There are only two bolts left on the bell housing and then the motor will be out. Feeling a sense of personal pride as the most I have done in motor work is rebuild a 78 Honda 400. This forum continues to be invaluable!

So far out of six days planned on two separate occasions of uninterrupted time to work on the LC I have been able to net a total of 10 hrs of wrenching time. It is like having a hot wife that I can't touch. At least I get to look at my ruby princess every morning and night. By brain knows to keep family the priority.

20210228_160640.jpg

20210228_160650.jpg

I was able to get the motor out and onto a stand. It went pretty easy. Torque converter slid right out no binding.

I pulled the valve cover off and found more thick sludge.

It is hard to tell if there is any damage with all the crud. I am going to spend some time cleaning.

Still debating my options. Wish a 3fe could fall in my lap that is a half days drive away!

20210228_214849.jpg

20210228_214821.jpg

20210228_214818.jpg

20210228_195022.jpg

20210228_194508.jpg

Can I get some advise on next steps?

Looks like burnt valves. Is there any way to save them through inspection or am I looking at new valves.

I think they are burnt due to the truck being run with only one o2 sensor and effectively no exhaust.

Head gasket looked good so I don't think that was it.

20210313_093123.jpg

20210313_093126.jpg

20210313_093130.jpg

Second question. How does this cylinder wall look? It feels very smooth to the touch with no gouges. Would I expect to find more damage on the piston from rubbing. I would think so.

Can I just hone this or are we talking bore job?

20210313_093301.jpg

20210313_093255.jpg

20210313_093250.jpg

20210313_093246.jpg

I would take a really long and close look at your frame, especially the front. I have worked on 3-4 old trucks that were used as plow trucks some as low as 15,000 original miles. They lived hard lives with busted and mangled frames, trashed steering, wasted suspension and more.

Cheers

For those cylinder bores, the scoring does not look horrible. I would pick up a bore gauge to determine if the bore is worn beyond tolerance. That will determine if it is worth honing or boring. In order to achieve a proper honing, you will be disassembling the bottom end as well and you will be removing bearings, you will be removing the pistons and most likely replacing the rings. It does not appear to have a ring groove at the top edge and you cannot catch a fingernail on it. That would be good for basic wear.

I do not see how you know those valves are burned without disassembling them. A burned valve is evident upon disassembly and the etching that occurs. Carbon buildup on the valves does not indicate burning of a valve.

Make sure that whatever you disassemble, make sure to keep it in order and know exactly which part comes from where and in what order.

I would suggest a parts washer to clean up that valve train.

As much gunk is inside that engine, it needs a thorough cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom