BBCNN Run: CHANGED!!! WHITE, MONITOR MOUNTAINS OR DEATH VALLEY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
10-2-08: DUE TO RAINY AND COLD WEATHER IN NORTHERN NEVADA THIS TRIP DESTINATION HAS BEEN CHANGED TO THE WHITE, MONITOR MOUNTAIN RANGE AREA OR DEATH VALLEY.

Quaking Aspens should be at or near their peak fall color. This will be a great family style run and this is a very scenic area!

Date: Friday October 3 through Sunday October 5th, 2008.

Leave Time: Meet Time: 7:45AM; LEAVE TIME: 8:00AM Friday October 3rd.

10-2-08: Leave Time Location: STARBUCKS COFFEE, DAMONTE RANCH ROAD (SOUTH END OF THE WALMART COMPLEX)

Trail Difficulty: Mostly Class I & II with a little Class III.

Additional Equipment Needed: This is a 'two-nighter'. And this this is a primitive type camp area: You must bring all fuel, food, gas, water (creek/lake water is typically available but must be purified before drinking), PTT type toilet (no toilet facility exists here), etc. to be self-sufficient.

Snow can happen this time of year although it would be somewhat unusual. However temps, at night, will probably be near freezing: Bring appropriate sleeping gear and clothing for a wide range of temps from cold to hot!

Duration of Run: 3-days, 2-nights.

Communication: CB Channel 3, HAM/2M 146.460 simplex (I will be leading this run and will be on 2M exclusively).

Tread Lightly! As always drinking of alcoholic beverages will not be tolerated anytime vehicles are being driven. Have as much fun in camp as you like...but safety on the trail/road is our main priority.

BBCNN

Last edited:
Dan-Thanks for leading this and posting up. I'm in, likely with dog. Interested in the hike, but the fishing is complicated since I'd need a non-resident fishing license. Looking forward to it.

Dan-Thanks for leading this and posting up. I'm in, likely with dog. Interested in the hike, but the fishing is complicated since I'd need a non-resident fishing license. Looking forward to it.

Great! I had an earlier report this summer that the water level at Knott Creek was down considerably. So it might not be optimum anyway. Although I have not been to Blue Lake personally I understand its a wonderful lake to fish and it is not drained by ranchers for summer irrigation. But you gotta haul all gear in by foot.

Trail: We will be exploring the general Pine Forest mountain range in Northern Nevada. We will set a base camp at Knott Creek Reservoir which lies approximately 35-miles South of Denio. .........................
NOTE: The only location to obtain gasoline is Denio, Nevada approximately 75-mile roundtrip from Knott Creek Reservoir. We will fill up here before heading towards KCR on Friday. SOMETIMES THEY ONLY TAKE CASH! BE CASH PREPARED!

They only take cash. But they did have an ATM machine inside.

We are looking forward to this one. Can't wait.

Jack

Great! I had an earlier report this summer that the water level at Knott Creek was down considerably. So it might not be optimum anyway. Although I have not been to Blue Lake personally I understand its a wonderful lake to fish and it is not drained by ranchers for summer irrigation. But you gotta haul all gear in by foot.

Blue Lake is fantastic. As always you just never know when it comes to fish but we did better up there than we did on the lower lakes.

I think we Nevadans have all paid our fair share for CA out of state tags, give a little love back will ya????:flipoff2:

Knott Crick

Is that opening day for Chukar and Mule Deer? If so you may have plenty of company.

For those that haven't been to Denio, it is not a good place to rely on having fuel. When they are open, which is usually during hunting season, the often run out. Such is the case with many of Nevada's smaller gas joints. But the burgers are to die for! They also have a game freezer if you find you need one in the future.

Is the lower road into Knott Creek open?

Is that opening day for Chukar and Mule Deer? If so you may have plenty of company.

For those that haven't been to Denio, it is not a good place to rely on having fuel. When they are open, which is usually during hunting season, the often run out. Such is the case with many of Nevada's smaller gas joints. But the burgers are to die for! They also have a game freezer if you find you need one in the future.

Is the lower road into Knott Creek open?

Chukar is the 11th. Mule deer opens up again on 10/5. Every year is different at Denio Junction regarding gasoline. For the past 3-years, at this time of year, they have been open for business and have had plenty of gasoline. But each year is unique up there ;).

They usually keep the lower road closed during mud months. The road/gate has always been open when I've been there in October in years past...

I'll make a call the week before we leave and provide an update regarding the availability of gasoline at Denio Junction.

Looking forward to this trip and meeting the BBCNN group. Will be coming with my wife Lata and my 2.5 yr old daughter Isha.

Put me down for a definite maybe. Work just got crazy with some layoffs, and my job just moved to Truckee. Glad I still have a job.

Put me down for a definite maybe. Work just got crazy with some layoffs, and my job just moved to Truckee. Glad I still have a job.

Keith: Roundtripping to Truckee everyday now?!

I would like to go on this run, I will be running solo.
Looking for an empty seat on this one , ( will help with fuel )

ken

Ken-I have a seat if you want it, but...

I may have my FJ60 which is slo...

I will have my dog-springer spaniel, well behaved back seat rider.

My feelings won't be hurt if you don't want it, but it's your if you want to go.

Mucho Thanks for the offer.
Sending pm

ken
Ken-I have a seat if you want it, but...

I may have my FJ60 which is slo...

I will have my dog-springer spaniel, well behaved back seat rider.

My feelings won't be hurt if you don't want it, but it's your if you want to go.

I think we may be in for this one.
With any luck I can avoid breaking a differential. :rolleyes:

You know of all of the "things" that you could be good at...breaking diffs is not one that you should strive for greatness at.:grinpimp:

Hopefully you have satisfied the diff karma and you will have no more in your future.

Jack

But..this could be your forte'. Just bring extra tools and parts and no big deal.:D

You know of all of the "things" that you could be good at...breaking diffs is not one that you should strive for greatness at.:grinpimp:

Hopefully you have satisfied the diff karma and you will have no more in your future.

Jack

But..this could be your forte'. Just bring extra tools and parts and no big deal.:D

So far the score is one UZJ100 front diff and one FJ40 rear diff.
I've never broken the diff in an 80 or a 60.
Either of you guys want to loan me your rig? :lol:

Keith: Roundtripping to Truckee everyday now?!

Pretty much. I commute to Tahoe City everyday, so I'm adding a handful of miles to the commute. Going to through both towns for the duration. Put 300 miles on the FJC since last Sunday when I tanked up in Reno. I'll be tanking up in Reno again on Sunday when I'm down for rib fest. I can get about 356 miles out of 16.5 to 17.5 gallons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom