1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Terminal

Discussion in 'Winching and Recovery' started by PVCruiser, Feb 21, 2007.

1. PVCruiser

PVCruiser

Hi Guys-

I am running a second battery with aux fuse block. I have a 4 gauge going to the battery on the positive side and leaving the positive side another 4 gauge wire going to the fuse block (130 amp block).

My questions is (don't laugh):

How does one join (2) 4 gauge wires at a battery terminal in a clean manner?

I've seen the "Bling" options on ebay for audio systems on ebay:rolleyes:

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Seth

2. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. PVCruiser

PVCruiser

So.... I 've spent some time searching and came back with nothing. If you have any links, please let me know. Thanks Seth

4. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36775 post #2 has some good pics. Also, does this help out?
    military-terminal-clamp.jpg

5. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

This post shows a pic of my setup with "military style" battery clamps.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1318565&postcount=15

You can get these clamps at stella maris too, but they are called "marine" and/or MilSpec:

https://www.stellmar.com/content/electromech/BatteryTerminals/html/3534_35.php

Also shown in the picture in the first link is a power distribution post that I also got from Stella Maris. This allowed me to move all the auxillary wires off the battery and to a remote location, giving a cleaner set up at the battery.

https://www.stellmar.com/content/electromech/PDP/PowerDistributionPosts.php

I've had good success with the product from Stella Maris. The parts have a low unit cost, but they have a minimum $15 order...

I'm not sure what fuse box you are using, but can you connect the two cables at the fuse box. Terminate each in a ring terminal then bolt the two rings back-to-back to the fuse box.

6. Godwin

Godwin Resident Herpetologist SILVER Star

7. PVCruiser

PVCruiser

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful...

Del City Wire is a great company for parts, but their tech is a bit iffy. I was headed down the road y'all have suggested only to be disuaded by the Del City Tech.

Thanks. I now know I was headed down the correct road.:beer:

8. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    I was looking for the size of the studs and whatnot on mil-spec terminals, and found that this site has a full description http://www.ecvcinc.com

here is a gif w/ the dimensions. It appears that the stud is 3/8" and that the bolt to tighten the clamp is 5/16" Thought this might be good info for someone else.

Oh, and for the trivia-fans out there, the antimony content of the lead of the body of the terminal must be between 4% and 7.5%. Who knew? :)

[​IMG]

SmoothLC likes this.
  9. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper

I have a pair of SCOSCHE UBT1 battery terminals. Similar to these: http://www.scosche.com/efx.aspx?CategoryID=52&ItemID=PDBTMI
    The ones I have will take two 4 gage and two 8 gage wires. I found them at Walmart in the auto audio section and I don't think I paid much more then $10 each.

I have a bunch of High quality 4 gage that I plan to build my own cables out of. I Will also have a set of big plugs at each end to hook jumper cables too or swap winch from end to end.

I am actually going to run each battery to a Power switch that will allow me to choose what battery is primary or gang them for extra power for winching. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/91533/10001/297/207/9

I will have a 80 amp isolator so that as soon as the engine starts both batteries will be on charge. All accessories including a 12v fridge will be running off Battery #2 to isolate the start battery to make sure I can't possibly kill it when camping. I am thinking of only hooking the start circuit and starter to that battery so even a open door with the dome light on will not effect the batter that starts the truck.

10. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    had an interesting conversation with the auto electrician yesterday regarding my mil-spec terminals. He was adamant that they were crap. Complete crap.

His reasoning: they are lead! Good for fishing! Bad for battery.

I smiled and nodded and told him I'd get right on it. He told me where to go to get "metal" terminals and I smiled and nodded. But after a little while (he really doesn't like lead terminals!) it got me to questioning it a little. After all, we know that tinned copper is the way to go on cable ends. Does that mean lead is bad?

Then I got to thinking some more and figured that the battery posts are mostly lead anyway, so it can't be too bad.

Just thought I'd share

11. photogod

photogod

Here is what I have installed
    DSC_0002B.JPG

Young Bull likes this.
  12. mobi-arc

mobi-arc

I've not seen that before. What's it called and where do you buy those multi-gang plastic doohickies?

13. photogod

photogod

14. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    Is there really much of a difference between the lead and the tinned copper terminals?

15. photogod

photogod

I have no idea. I was just responding to the above post. Seems like it has been working since the battery was invented with no changes. I see no reason to do any different.