Barn doors or flip down tailgate for 76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a new to me 1976 FJ 40 and I will be going with the old shool soft top. Just wondering if it is easier to go with the small barn doors or the flip down tailgate. Looks like SOR has the barn doors in stock and I was able to source hardware and hinges.

$_57 (8).JPG
$_57 (16).JPG
$_57 (19).JPG

Nice truck ! Welcome to the madness.

Small doors are easier to get,

:cheers:

You can find barn doors in the classified section here on mud all the time for good prices - much better than SOR.
Put a for wanted ad up in classifieds too
Tailgates are cool but hard to come by. Real steel makes a nice one that looks OEM - a bit pricey but the quality it top notch

Black or tan. As to drill or not to drill. I could go with the CCOT bolt in tailgate or the real steel one. I kinda like having a functional tailgate.

You're going drill holes in that truck for barn doors??? I couldn't bring myself to do that.

What color soft top?
I have to agree. That's too nice to start drilling into.

tailgate is good for cargo and a table not to good for people .if your going to haul passengers the barn doors may be a better choice

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing, going from ambulance doors to a soft top truck. I was able to get some old barn doors off ebay but I really don't want to drill more holes in my tub. I wonder if there's any way to fab up hinges that will fit the old holes?

Wow you got some nice toys man, welcome to the forum.

I bought a set of rusted amby doors, cut them in half, and installed a tailgate. I can run my soft top or hard top, still using the tailgate for either one. This is a 1977.

I love a tailgate for camping. It is a great place to prepare food, mix drinks, sit down, etc.
0B50709B-F911-4B19-8D75-90719DEDD712.png

For passengers getting in and out the barn doors are soooo much easier

My old heap had a tailgate and climbing over and on to get into the back is a pita let along try to close it from inside

The barn doors you can get in and out and close and lock it when u are in

Designed my soft top for ease of entry and exit as well

213DCBD4-67E0-4319-B684-02FFD9C37D8C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom