Bad U Joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Thunder Horse link=board=2;threadid=5010;start=msg39374#msg39374 date=1063121035]
Opened up a whole new can of worms now...
Doug, you are correct. The U Joints looked ok. What I did find however is a front drive shaft that rotates with about 180 degrees of play. That seems a bit excessive. Not being very technical myself, I had it looked at by a shop and they didn't want anything to do with it. All they do is replace them and ballparked about $3k. Any ideas? Is there another fix for something like this?

[/quote]

Is this with center diff locked or not? You will have a lot of play with the center diff unlocked. Squirt some grease in the zerks and get on with your life :flipoff2:. Your rig is fine.

[quote author=Thunder Horse link=board=2;threadid=5010;start=msg39374#msg39374 date=1063121035]
Opened up a whole new can of worms now...
Doug, you are correct. The U Joints looked ok. What I did find however is a front drive shaft that rotates with about 180 degrees of play. That seems a bit excessive. Not being very technical myself, I had it looked at by a shop and they didn't want anything to do with it. All they do is replace them and ballparked about $3k. Any ideas? Is there another fix for something like this?

WTF? 3k for what a driveline? they are $600 new I think, take 20min to out one in. Someone is trying to take you for a ride.

John

[/quote]

C-man,

Think about it for a sec, 180 degrees of front driveshaft rotation with the front wheels on the ground...........That's quite a bit of ring gear backlash, no?
According to the FSM front backlash should be 0.13-0.18 MM. Where is the other 179 degrees going?

Dan.

Someone didn't install front hubs when you weren't looking did they? :D

If you don't have hubs up there and you have 180 degrees...you have some BIG issues my friend.

Best of Luck.

It is also possible that one or both front drive flanges are shot........

If my bass akwards math is correct 180 degrees of driveshaft rotation would equal about 43.9 degrees of axle rotation (assuming 4.1 gears). I think that a still holding but about to fail pair of drive flanges might allow that much movement.

Factory locking Diffs. Pretty much a stock rig. Now I'm getting concerned...

[quote author=Thunder Horse link=board=2;threadid=5010;start=msg39451#msg39451 date=1063134333]
Factory locking Diffs. Pretty much a stock rig. Now I'm getting concerned...
[/quote]

hold on a second......92's did have factory locking diffs! it has a center diff lock not front and rear.

I'll dive under my 92 latter.....

John

Thunderhorse,
John meant to say that 92's did not have factory locking diffs; only the center diff lock that all 80's have.
-B-

Thunder,

Before we all get too excited here, let's clarify before moving on. Are you saying you can actually turn the front driveshaft an entire half revolution of play? I think that's what you're saying, just want to be sure. Not a quarter revolution, but a full HALF revolution.

Also, I'd like you to lock your center differential - ensuring that it is in fact locked - then stop the car on level ground and see how much you can rotate the front driveshaft. You might consider using a piece of chalk to mark the shaft so you get more precise figures.

If you're already dirty and in the mood, the next step will be to remove both front wheels one at at time, pop off the little grease caps on the hubs (the original "hub caps" BTW) and look at the splined end of your axle. It fits into matching slots right there. With the other wheel on the ground, have someone turn the front shaft - see a bunch of axle movement or slack? This would be a cheap source of slack, so worth looking at. Also, there should be gobs o' grease in these splines - are yours dry (common mechanic mistake)?

IdahoDoug

Idaho,
I had a chance at lunch today to go out and lock the center differential. Once locked, I didn't hear the "clunk" that I am so familiar with. It seemed to help. I couldn't get under it and check out the play (yes, 1/2 revolution normally) but will check it out tonight. Does the fact that it doesn't seem to be as bad when locked make any difference?

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=5010;start=msg39655#msg39655 date=1063166222]
Thunderhorse,
John meant to say that 92's did not have factory locking diffs; only the center diff lock that all 80's have.
-B-

[/quote]

D'oh! yes 91-2 DO NOT have front rear diff locks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom