Bad conclusion to a great weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup driver abuse for sure. That was bad wheel bearings. But he continued to drive with them. Must of made a hell of a noise!!

Shut up. You were not there and he is in a bad enough way as it is.

geez must i repeat myself, no noise, i had no stereo and stock michelins i would have heard something.

Arsenal, were you in any water over the weekend? Perhaps a misplaced seal allowed water/grit into the bearings? I seized a set of bearings on a Dana axle one time, and aside from a slight lurch/squeal when they seized and then began spinning on the spindles, there were no audible indicators.

I really feel for you man. Good luck.

Ary

ary, i went through a couple of puddles, nothing to stay submerged in, possible, i was talking to genericfj80 and he asked if i used mobil1 grease, well, i did, has me thinking now....thanks everyone for your input. :beer:

landtank said:
Hey guys, maybe the lucky bastid was getting a Beaner and it was worth it!!!

LOL :grinpimp:

I used Mobil 1 on my bearings and have had no issues in the near 30k miles since.

I would definately inspect the other side to check for any signs of problems. Perhaps you will find something amiss on that side.

Oh oh, I have an idea. Did you remember to install the thrust washer? It goes between the outer bearing and the first spindle nut. I *ALMOST* missed mine 'cause they stuck to the old wheel bearings when I pulled them. If you missed them the spinning bearing on that side would eventually spin the nut down increasing the preload and in turn overheating the bearings and the rest of the assembly. Something else to think about. Would explain why they didn't do it immediately after reassembly. Additionally this wouldn't happen on the driver's side because the bearing would be attempting to loosen the first nut, but the lock washer and second nut would prevent that from happening. Hmmm, I like this theory :D

Ary

landtank said:
The parts needed on that one side might easily exceed a used axle. Buy the axle and sell off what you don't need as spares or good parts. You'll be way ahead of it.

Arsenal -

Today a neighbor told me about an 80 series rollover that just arrived at a local junkyard. I have no idea of the year etc and won't have a chance to check it out until later in the week. If you want to give them a call yourself and see if they can ship here's a link to their info. If you need local help to coordinate let me know.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py...us&msa=7040&slt=38.626480&sln=-90.198647&cs=4

Sorry about your luck man. All of you guys telling him it's his fault and 'driver abuse' aren't helping his problem one bit. Hope you get it all back together soon at a reasonable cost like maybe buying a good axle and selling other stuff off.

Oh man, that sucks. I can't say i wouldn't have done the same thing too though.

Sorry for the meltdown. Kinda puts me on edge.

Friend of mine had something similar happen in an old straight axle Ranger.

Wheel came flying off at about 40mph and he almost bought the ranch into the side of a Quickstop.

Count yourself lucky you did not purchase a ranch yourself.

landtank said:
Hey guys, maybe the lucky bastid was getting a Beaner and it was worth it!!!

Hmmm, axle meltdown for driveline tune up...sounds like a fair trade to me.

Driver abuse... is that kind of like rolling the ole '80?? Good luck on your rebuild Arsenal.

That definetly was from neglect. Parts just don't melt down all of a sudden. That took a while to happen. I don't care what people say there are always warning signs. It just does not creep up on you.

Oh I don't consider rolling an 80 driver abuse, I consider it driver USE!!!

Wrench
See you on the trail....he he

Any time a vehicle rolls it is the result of some sort of error or negligent operation or stupidity on the part of the operator (in the case of a single vehicle roll-over) unless there is a documented mechanical failure severe enough to cause the vehicle to roll.

Wrench said:
That definetly was from neglect. Parts just don't melt down all of a sudden. That took a while to happen. I don't care what people say there are always warning signs. It just does not creep up on you.

Oh I don't consider rolling an 80 driver abuse, I consider it driver USE!!!

Wrench
See you on the trail....he he

Not true, I melted a set of wheel bearings on my 63 Mercury because the grease cap fell off and wedged itself between the wheel and hubcap(no noise)

The only symptom in 50-100 miles of driving(not sure when it fell off), was a slight burning smell which I blamed on a known, slightly sticky but not problematic front wheel cylinder. I also blamed the W/C for the slight pull in the last couple of miles. Result was not as drastic, but I needed a new spindle and hub assembly. When I did the push pull test at 12 o'clock, I got 7 inches of play:whoops:. This is a quiet car, with a smooth running inline 6 and highway tires,(obviously) No stereo at the time, so that wasn't an issue. Also, I've been a wrench for a little bit and I knew what to look for, that wheel cylinder was waiting on payday.....come to think of it, I don't think I ever replaced that....... oh well.

Dan

Arsenal said:
p.s anyone have a spare birf, spindle, hub assymbly for sale?

I have a birf and spindle in a resaonable state (from a used '93 - leftovers from a e-locker retrofit). No hub. I'm mostly trying to empty my garage and have no idea of the prices. If you decide that shipping from Massachusetts will not kill you, and are interested, please use lots of lubricant :) - to ease the transaction, that is. I would like to point out, though, that a new spindle from cruiserdan is the approved way to go about things.

cruiserdan said:
Any time a vehicle rolls it is the result of some sort of error or negligent operation or stupidity on the part of the operator (in the case of a single vehicle roll-over) unless there is a documented mechanical failure severe enough to cause the vehicle to roll.

None of those was my case.

Wrench said:
None of those was my case.

I know whose rig gets the voodoo needle now :grinpimp:

No needle required...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom