Back Up Camera Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a back up camera for my FJ-40. Anyone care to let me know what make/brand you would recommend? Anything in particular I should make sure the camera has? Wireless? Clip on the mirror type?

Advice is appreciated.

Unless you plan on watching movies on the screen, just get a cheap one from Amazon. They are easy to install and all are made from the same basic components unless you go super high end. The bigger the display screen, the better.

I bought mine for my Ambo from Costco. It's a vital part of a larger vehicle and I didn't want to try to save a buck.

For a 40, which doesn't really need one, I'd buy a wired one from Ebay or Amazon. 7" color display with multi inputs, and 2-3 cheapish cameras so it's not a big deal if they get smashed. I'd mount one on the back and 1 or two under the rig to help with spotting over tough obstacles. Night vision cameras sure come in handy, but the price point is likely higher.

Unless you plan on watching movies on the screen, just get a cheap one from Amazon. They are easy to install and all are made from the same basic components unless you go super high end. The bigger the display screen, the better.
Thank you for the input, guys. Although I don't have a desire for cameras other than one for back up safety (I backed into my own pickup), I do want one that will be reliable and give me a good view to the rear. I have no idea if cheap ones will offer the same reliability as a higher end camera or not.

Anyone care to recommend a specific brand or model that you have used personally?

Thanks again!

They're making some amazing cameras that are just plain tiny. Look at one that's in a cheap drone like the palm-sized Hubsan H107 series. Little camera the size of my thumbnail that's available with either 480p or 720p in color and could probably be combined with a license plate screw for mounting.

Wait...I think I DID see a rearview setup being sold somewhere that did combine with a license plate screw. Ebay probably.

Well OK, so it should be waterproof, have a wide view, work with the sorts of CCD software, connections, and screens that make for an expensive camera like so: Amazon.com : Esky EC170-06 World Smallest HD Color CCD Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle Rearview Camera(0.86*0.65*0.50 inch) : Vehicle Video Products : Car Electronics

If you lean back far enough, you could probably see over the rear of a 40 from the driver's seat. Maybe take a yoga class instead of buying a back up camera??

There are some wireless cameras that can broadcast to your phone. If just for backup you could save the $ on a monitor as well as the clutter of a permenant installation.

Tadi brothers sells some options.

P

You didn't mention what you need it for. If it's for every time you back up to look out for obstacles or kids playing then of course a permanent install makes sense. If you only need it to back up to a trailer hitch when alone (like me) then a portable magnetic rechargeable unit might do ya. I stick the magnetic camera on my tail gate (pick up truck) have the monitor on my lap, and put the ball to the hitch in one shot. Then I pull it off and put it away till the next time. Being portable it can be used on multiple vehicles and have often found it useful for other non-vehicle uses too. I got the "Swift Hitch" unit quite a few years ago and it's still going strong but if I had to replace it I'd be looking for todays tech like lithium ion batt and blue tooth to my iphone maybe. Might even have to put a magnet on a cheap blue tooth camera. That's if this "Swift Hitch" ever gives out on me.

If your interested in having a GPS as well... Garmin makes a wireless camera that displays on your GPS screen when you go into reverse. I have part# if needed. Super slick.

I've been installing backup cameras on all my cars. There's no comparison between what you can see through a camera vs. looking out the rear window. I can't even see small cars out the back of my 40, and if it's loaded with camping gear I can't see anything. With small kids around it's very comforting to be able to see the ground immediately behind your car.

I'd recommend getting a larger screen if possible. 4" or even 6" display is really nice for the field of view. Wireless works ok for the short distances, it was reliable enough but once in a while the image would flicker and bother me. It's not that hard to run wires and the image seems to be clearer, but also could be because the wired cameras I had were newer. I think most of them are all VGA or better now, and is probably the minimum resolution to get if you go with a larger screen. I mostly just use the cheap cameras, they all seem to work the same. I just purchased the esky linked above, and have also had a few of the ones that mount to the license plate. The only problems I've had were the license plate ones with IR led's burned out on me a few times. They aren't meant for continuous usage, and I was using it as a rear seat camera for a backwards facing car seat. Other than that I had one of the small flush mounted cameras lens started fogging up on me after about a year. Still worked ok, but was hard to out when the sun was directly at your back. For a backup cameras I don't think the IR led are really necessary since the reverse lights provide enough near field light to see. I plan on mounting three of them as bikersmurf suggested to let me see front, rear, and under the car. Most of them trigger off the reverse lights, but you could also wire a switch to manually control it which is nice sometimes.

Last edited:
Here is my 7 inch TFT LCD monitor which clips to the rear vision mirror with 18LED backup camera which cost $120AU.
I use mine for reversing to boat and/or trailer, saves me getting out twice:)

113_zpsnw98jdi5.jpg

Look around for a kit that has CCD image sensor as it IMO gives better quality picture, mine is hard wired in also.

CCD vs. CMOS Image Sensor:
The two types of image sensors that are available for rear view (backup) camera systems are the CCD("charge coupled device") and CMOS ("complementary metal oxide semiconductor"). The type of image sensor that your rear view camera system uses will be the most important factor in determining picture quality.
Besides the overall resolution, a camera that utilizes a CCD image sensor will provide significantly better images under very low and very bright lighting conditions.

cheers
HJ45

I have a large display and night vision camera from a few years back that was used on my Taco for hooking up my trailer or getting out of tight spots . Came from Tadi brothers , never had an issue other than for some reason the audio feed never did work . In comparison , the new ones are so small they can be difficult to work with and provide a much better detailed picture quality . I also recommend a CCTV type as they much cleaner in signal and image quality . The technology and expense is changing daily - I spent like $75 and now that's considered the very high end of the market and quality levels .
In comparison - new cameras are the size of a quarter - mine is the size of the spare tire bumper/latch ....

I plan to use that older monitor in an overhead console if I can get time to build it - probably just upgrade to a less-intrusive license plate camera for what they cost now . Just make sure if you buy either the monitor or camera itself has automatic dimming - it's worth having .

Sarge

Thanks to one and all for your valuable input. I'm sure posts 6 & 7 were "done in fun"..... so I thank you for a good laugh. I'm not much on electronics, so I need to rely upon the advice of others for a product that will provide the safety back-up viewing I need. Ducktapeguy..... you described my need very well when you said you can't see a small car behind you especially when loaded with camping gear. Same for kids; same for stumps and rocks.

The camera/monitor search begins!! Large screen; permanent mount; CCTV type (not sure what that means right now); night vision; CCD image sensor; auto-dimming; 170 Deg. viewing (if possible)

Thanks for helping......

Just because you have a backup camera does NOT mean you won't hit something large behind you. :(

How do I know this? This morning I backed my 2013 Altima into a wooden picnic table that I had placed in front of the garage door to soda blast some harness connectors Sunday. When I leave the house it is dark, so I did not see that I had left it in front of the door. Got in the car, put her in reverse, checked the camera to see if the dog was behind the car (large WHITE dog), no big white blob behind me... so give her gas :steer: and WHAM! :doh:.... I feel so old sometimes... Maybe I should paint the table white....

... Maybe I should paint the table white....

get rid of the table... nobody will ever know... but us :)

If i had a dollar for every time my wife backed into the garbage cans Id be rich... cans are next to the neighbors property line now lol

i have contemplated one for her... and am interested in what solution you @atazman come up with ... post up what you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom