Axle Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I recently purchased a 2001 Lexus LX 470. The CV boots are leaky. I’m looking into cvj axles. They seem like the best option for affordability and quality. Im wanting to replace the control arms as well. Does anyone have any resources for both these repairs? videos or part numbers, gaskets or seals that would be beneficial to replace while I have the wheels off? Any info would be greatly appreciated🙏

Use OEM control arms. Those come with bearings. Aftermarket control arms may last few months. It is highly advised to replace the outer flange (that meets the splines on outboard CV joint to wheel) at the same time you install new CV axles.

Enter the vin here partsouq.com and search the parts diagram for parts numbers. Partsouq.com is a very reliable autoparthothat sells OEM as well as aftermarket parts from Dubai UAE. Compare their prices and shipping charges. I've done about 20+ businesses with them and all exceed my expectations.

Just replace the boots and repack with grease if they aren't making noise.

You can buy OEM control arms which have bushings and ball joints installed.

McGeorge and Sparks Toyota consistently have the cheapest prices for me. Enter make model year, and rock and roll.

I’m looking into cvj axles. They seem like the best option for affordability and quality.
In this case, looks are deceiving. The CVJs are not worth the cost. Most have worn outer splines.

Just replace the boots and repack with grease if they aren't making noise.

You can buy OEM control arms which have bushings and ball joints installed.

McGeorge and Sparks Toyota consistently have the cheapest prices for me. Enter make model year, and rock and roll.
Thank you all for the replies!

Would you say it’s easier to repack with grease and glue on new boots then it is to replace the axle? I’m a beginner/novice when it comes to working on cars. I’ve been learning a ton since my purchase hah.

The only noise I’ve noticed is a slight squeaky noise while driving. I’m assuming squeaky noise could be multiple issues though...

Would you say it’s easier to repack with grease and glue on new boots then it is to replace the axle? I’m a beginner/novice when it comes to working on cars. I’ve been learning a ton since my purchase hah.

The only noise I’ve noticed is a slight squeaky noise while driving. I’m assuming squeaky noise could be multiple issues though...
I wouldn't glue on new boots. That's asking for trouble. Changing the axles out isn't that bad, but it's probably more on the advanced side for a novice. You would need a jack and jack stands and a few specialty tools. There are some videos on Youtube that walk you through the whole process. You might want to start there to see if you think you can tackle the job.

If you have a slight squeak when driving, you probably want to figure out what that is before the axle service. You may be pulling off the squeaky culprit while doing the axle job, so it's a perfect time to do it a lot of other services. Consider addressing your brakes and wheel bearings at the same time.

When is it squeaking? When driving fast or slow? When braking or not?

I wouldn't glue on new boots. That's asking for trouble. Changing the axles out isn't that bad, but it's probably more on the advanced side for a novice. You would need a jack and jack stands and a few specialty tools. There are some videos on Youtube that walk you through the whole process. You might want to start there to see if you think you can tackle the job.

If you have a slight squeak when driving, you probably want to figure out what that is before the axle service. You may be pulling off the squeaky culprit while doing the axle job, so it's a perfect time to do it a lot of other services. Consider addressing your brakes and wheel bearings at the same time.

When is it squeaking? When driving fast or slow? When braking or not?
Thanks for the reply, I have a mechanic friend that would be able to help me through the process as well. It’s squeaky when driving slow..around 20mph, never when braking.

I would say with youtube, time, and a few trips to the store for tools you may need, anyone can do most things on 100s - CV's are pretty straight forward. The clean, repack, reboot is no more difficult than anything else associated with the job of getting the CV's out and back in - just messy. You'll just add another skill to the repertoire and save some $ in the process while spending a few more hours working.

Squeaking could be a lot of things, but throw it on jack stands and do the push/pull tests and get out a pry bar and check the lower ball joints. Check sway bar bushings and anything else that moves that has rubber on it. If its squeaking while rotating, check things that make noise while rotating; brakes and bearings are the main culprits there.

You'll probably want to do a bearing cleaning, inspection, and repacking while you've got things apart to get at the CV's. You can look up those tutorials on here, quite a few good ones. It will take a couple of hours your first time through but moves a lot faster afterwards. You can get a full bearing service kit from cruiser outfitters with everything you need to do the job. Depending on mileage and condition the bearings may be in good shape. Mine had been repacked at 30-50k intervals and still look new at over 200k.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I have a mechanic friend that would be able to help me through the process as well. It’s squeaky when driving slow..around 20mph, never when braking.
If the squeak is consistent when driving slow, but if it goes away when braking, it's probably the brakes. The pads might be shot. They have wear tabs that are supposed to squeal to alert you that the pads are running out of material. The pad thickness is easy to inspect if you take the wheels off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom