Auxiliary lighting installation question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I am about as bad as it gets when it comes to wiring and I'm getting ready to add a new bumper with a light bar and a couple of driving lights. The light bar came with a wiring harness and I will have to add one for the driving lights. I was looking at the slee headlight conversion harness that allows for the two driving lights to be added in pretty easy. I want to use the Toyota Aux switches or the Toyota style switches Slee sells to keep it clean and use the blanks by the Mirror control switch. My following questions are these:

Can I add the Toyota Aux light switch to that setup? And if so, what is the best way to tie it in?

For the light bar, can I add the Toyota switch to the harness that came with it to replace the janky push button switch your supposed to just stick to the dash?

I know these are dumb when questions when you guys are replacing whole engines, just looking for a little help so I don't burn the truck down!!

I bet Christo could help you.
I'd call 'em & see what all they could set you up with.

As for the light bar, they used to sell some sealed relays (been awhile) for $8-10 ea, that & a switch, a few teminals & wire you'll be hooked up.

As I am about as bad as it gets when it comes to wiring and I'm getting ready to add a new bumper with a light bar and a couple of driving lights. The light bar came with a wiring harness and I will have to add one for the driving lights. I was looking at the slee headlight conversion harness that allows for the two driving lights to be added in pretty easy. I want to use the Toyota Aux switches or the Toyota style switches Slee sells to keep it clean and use the blanks by the Mirror control switch. My following questions are these:

Can I add the Toyota Aux light switch to that setup? And if so, what is the best way to tie it in?

For the light bar, can I add the Toyota switch to the harness that came with it to replace the janky push button switch your supposed to just stick to the dash?

I know these are dumb when questions when you guys are replacing whole engines, just looking for a little help so I don't burn the truck down!!

Keep it simple - Using a factory Toyota illuminated switch (00550-35976) you will not need a relay and it will fit the factory dash or console coin slots.

Keep it simple - Using a factory Toyota illuminated switch (00550-35976) you will not need a relay and it will fit the factory dash or console coin slots.

How would you not need a relay? Just curious as i've never wired up lights without a relay/non OEM switch or messed with my OEM light wiring. Do they have internal relays/ 4 posts?

How would you not need a relay? Just curious as i've never wired up lights without a relay/non OEM switch or messed with my OEM light wiring. Do they have internal relays/ 4 posts?

Purpose of most relays is to switch a higher amperage load with low amperage control. The factory Toyota switch is rated for 21amp or 250watts @ 12volts. If your switching load is less than your switch rating a relay is not needed. If one uses a relay on a low amperage circuit all you are doing is increasing failure chances due to more controls and connections.

They will have to have a relay. They are just Rigid driving lights and a zero dark bar. The zero dark came with the complete harness and I was going to use the Slee setup for the D2's. I just didn't know about the Toyota OEM switches but I may be better off just using the Slee style switches as they will fit the OEM blanks and look close enough.

That sounds great as those switches cost less. Is there a harness or something you would use to power the switch and light heads as well as the deutsch style connectors on the lights?

Purpose of most relays is to switch a higher amperage load with low amperage control. The factory Toyota switch is rated for 21amp or 250watts @ 12volts. If your switching load is less than your switch rating a relay is not needed. If one uses a relay on a low amperage circuit all you are doing is increasing failure chances due to more controls and connections.
Sweet. I didnt know those were rated that high. I've always used relays in other applications on cars as a precaution with s***ty toggles.

@Tallyho74 I'd say go with an OEM switch then if you can get one. Like @LandCruiserPhil said, one less possible failure point.

Sweet. I didnt know those were rated that high. I've always used relays in other applications on cars as a precaution with s***ty toggles.

@Tallyho74 I'd say go with an OEM switch then if you can get one. Like @LandCruiserPhil said, one less possible failure point.

I stock the factory Toyota switches

Love those switches. 00550-35976

837768CA-2A47-4956-AB62-5868CF156C35_zps3oig0v0k.jpg

Last edited:
I need to find a way to print white letters on a black background. Not sure if label makers have black tape as an option?

I need to find a way to print white letters on a black background. Not sure if label makers have black tape as an option?

I use a P-touch machine for relabeling. The camera picks up the label much more than your eye will once installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom