Auxbeam AR-800 8 Gang Switch Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx200inAR

TLCA# 29584
SILVER Star
Threads
Been doing this install over past couple weeks. Finally got around to doing the interior part.

Relay module:
Made a bracket out of stacked pieces of aluminum angle to lower and space out the supplied Auxbeam bracket out into the open space. Mounted the breaker under a bolt that is holding the bracket for those electrical connectors. I did the usual, cut the nipple off the main firewall grommet and ran the connector through taped to a hanger. (Also ran a 8x22 gauge cable through for any switching needs I might have in the future.

IMG_7010.jpeg

Interior Install:

I like the switch panel in the sunglasses holder idea. There is a thread here with plans to 3D print a panel to fit in the switch module in that cubby. But also the cubby I use the most is the sunglass cubby, so I don’t want to lose it. Therefore I decided to attach it to the coin cubby to the left of the steering wheel in an LX.

IMG_6998.jpeg

IMG_7001.jpeg

I disassembled the cubby completely to get an idea of how it worked and also reattach the spring that had become unclocked to a tab making my cubby door not open by itself anymore (Something I broke last year sometime). The painted front cover of the cubby is removable and there is enough room behind it that I only ran my bolts through the cover from the back and then snapped it back in place onto the cubby. The way it attaches to the cubby, I’m not too worried this will cause issues in the future.

The hardest part was figuring out where to run the cable. You need a pretty good size hole to get the 4 prong connector through. After studying the cubby I found a way to run the cable where I could drill one 3/8” hole in the rear outside the cubby so that my wire doesn’t actually run through the cubby at all. I used a dremel to notch the front planel of the cubby so that it can still swing back to open. The only thing I couldn’t do was run the plastic cover for the wire connection through the hole to screw down the connection from the relay unit. The connection is pretty solid and I don’t think it’s necessary where you don’t care about water tightness. Just sliding the connectors together makes a pretty solid connection.

I used the tilting bracket from the box and located it lower down on the cubby so it would be pulled back under the dash more. I was worried about my knee bouncing off it, but so far seems okey. I’m on the taller side and there is plenty of room sitting in the driver's seat. (It doesn’t look straight in that second picture, but that’s a camera illusion). Waiting on it to get dark to see how the lighting works.
IMG_7005.jpeg
IMG_7008.jpeg

This is the Bluetooth version that has an App. Full color/brightness control as well as a couple different modes for each switch and switch grouping. Hopefully I dont regret not splurging on a SwitchPros, as the app is a bit janky. Ive tested connecting it to the Android app on my Grom Vline 2 but that’s fairly useless because you need portrait mode to customize the buttons and backlight and even with using an app to force the Grom into portrait mode to make the changes, the scaling is all off and I couldn’t really work with it. If you could do the customization settings somehow, then the Grom would work great, but as it stands, I’ll have to use my iPhone , or use the Grom with no button labels.

IMG_7012.png
IMG_7013.png

Last edited:
I have started the install of the Auxbeam 8 switch panel by removing and modifying the Glasses case Insert and using this space to hide the unit when not needed. I still need to route the cable down the headliner and down the front left door post and then into the engine compartment. Now I need to go to Lexus Collision or any collision center and pay for them to route the cable down past the Air Bag as I am not qualified to open up this and risk damage. The rest is easy. Has anybody opened up the side post?

Auxbeam1.jpg

Auxbeam2.jpg

Auxbeam3.jpg

Auxbeam4.jpg

Auxbeam5.jpg

I have started the install of the Auxbeam 8 switch panel by removing and modifying the Glasses case Insert and using this space to hide the unit when not needed. I still need to route the cable down the headliner and down the front left door post and then into the engine compartment. Now I need to go to Lexus Collision or any collision center and pay for them to route the cable down past the Air Bag as I am not qualified to open up this and risk damage. The rest is easy. Has anybody opened up the side post?

View attachment 3535399

View attachment 3535400

View attachment 3535401

View attachment 3535410

View attachment 3535412
Check out this thread.

I don't think there is anything about running the wire down the A pillar in that thread, but search around. It's not as big a deal as you are making it out to be. That cover comes off easily and the airbag is underneath it. And you can run cables around it where they will not impede the airbag in an emergency.

This thread has some good info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom