Automatic headlight adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

So apparently you can adjust the sensitivity to your auto light function just by turning the sensor itself like a knob?!

I was given a old repair manual from toyota by my work. I was sifting through it and saw the auto-light re-calibration chapter. Its a bit tough turning the senor, because it's recessed in. My sensitivity was set very low, and that's why I thought my Auto-light feature didn't work anymore, and now it works!

Idk I thought that was interesting and thought I'd share

6E99DAE2-DC18-4153-B78C-42B7BDAE6FA6.jpeg

Have you successfully done this on a 100 series? That picture looks a little different than our sensor, and the manual refers to an adjustment knob on the sensor versus rotating the sensor itself.

Have you successfully done this on a 100 series? That picture looks a little different than our sensor, and the manual refers to an adjustment knob on the sensor versus rotating the sensor itself.
I successfully did it on my 100 series, I have a 2001. Wasn't working before and now it works fine.

I turned mine fully counter-clockwise

Picture I got from my Toyota SnaponEPC, no visible knob, so yes I believe it means turn the sensor itself to adjust sensitivity
image.jpg

image.jpg

Just went out to the garage and the one in my '04 definitely does NOT turn.

Just went out to the garage and the one in my '04 definitely does NOT turn.
As mentioned earlier, part # (89121-30010) is different on a 2004. Part looks different too (post #8) on the 2004

Post #5 is what the part (89120-33030) looks like on a 2001

So unfortunately this only works for a 98-03. Part # remains the same on a '03 (89120-33030)

Ahh, found out why

Part number (89121-30010) and part itself is different than a ‘01

View attachment 3296537
I think the part you pulled up for the 2004 is a light sensor for the HVAC system. I have that sensor on the left side of the dash and the auto headlight sensor is on the right.

You can turn the top of the auto light sensor, it’s essentially a filter that is darker on one side. It’s very hard without popping the sensor out the dash. I’ve tried to adjust mine, and even got another sensor from a junkyard, but it didn’t change anything noticeably for me.

Just did this on my 01 lx. I had to take the little panel off in order to turn the sensor but it worked like a charm. I've always though it took way too long for the auto lights to come on. I turned it counter clockwise a couple of notches. We'll see how this works when it starts to get dark. Thanks for the post!

Just did this on my 01 lx. I had to take the little panel off in order to turn the sensor but it worked like a charm. I've always though it took way too long for the auto lights to come on. I turned it counter clockwise a couple of notches. We'll see how this works when it starts to get dark. Thanks for the post!
Heyoo! Hell yeah bro np

Test it out by covering the sensor with your hand. That’s what I was doing.

When you pop the little panel off the sensor comes with it. You can unplug the sensor and then separate the cover from the sensor. Turn the sensor a couple of notches and reassemble. The whole process took less than five minutes.

I think the part you pulled up for the 2004 is a light sensor for the HVAC system. I have that sensor on the left side of the dash and the auto headlight sensor is on the right.

You can turn the top of the auto light sensor, it’s essentially a filter that is darker on one side. It’s very hard without popping the sensor out the dash. I’ve tried to adjust mine, and even got another sensor from a junkyard, but it didn’t change anything noticeably for me.
No, I’m almost certain that is the headlight sensor. Not to sound like a braggart but I work for Toyota parts dept. I have immediate resources to look these parts up without having to scour online.

I do see what you mean though, because on the parts diagram it shows the sensor on the driver side when we all know it’s on the passenger side. Story of my life with these parts diagram when I’m helping a tech.

When you pop the little panel off the sensor comes with it. You can unplug the sensor and then separate the cover from the sensor. Turn the sensor a couple of notches and reassemble. The whole process took less than five minutes.
Good to know!

I felt mine turn with the lens on. I tested before and after, and was more sensitive to light after fully turning counter-clockwise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom