Autohome Columbus owners, advice needed (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello hello! I'm a long time roof top tent camper and now that I'm going from a Tacoma to an 80 series, I'm wanting something more branch resistant than the CVT I've been using for years. I've got a line on a really good deal for a used Columbus, but I had a couple of questions

The large opening doesn't seem to have any kind of weather protection for windows or door. With them all closed, does the tent have any ventilation? I'm concerned about poor weather in summer camping. I've searched around and can't seem to find anyone modding the canvas on the tent to give a rain fly in that area either, which leads me to believe it's either not a problem, or people don't use them when it's rainy and hot.

How does this tent do for all season camping?

Any advice for a newbie to Autohome?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a Columbus, but I've had a Maggiolina Airtop for about six years now. I suspect the fabric portion is the same material. It breaths just fine rain or shine. The Autohome tents are definitely the "Rolls Royce" of RTTs, but you do pay for it.

The Italian site shows an optional rainfly for the Columbus series, and Andrew or Mike could possibly get it in for you if you contact them at the US site.
www.autohomeus.com

Here is the rainfly on the IT site.
Awning - Autohome

awning.jpg

I have the Autohome Maggiolina Airlander, and the material breathes very well.
I never get any condensation in it, and it stays dry inside if it does rain having the two end windows down some.
There is a reason these tents cost a little more than the competition, they are designed very well.

So interior stays cool as well? This sounds great!

So interior stays cool as well? This sounds great!
Mine has, but about the only time I am in it is right before retiring for the night after sitting around a campfire for a few hours enjoying the evening.
Plus during the day I keep the canvas doors open for air circulation, so that probably helps it stay cool, even if it is hot out like it was a few weeks back on my vacation.

I gots the columbus variant...
had it for a lil over 4 years I think.
condensation is an issue only if you dont vent the tent properly... specially in the winter season....
In the summer like ANY other tent... it does get hot under the sun, but those massive door/windows do come handy to help with the heat....
under the rain.. its not that bad, and I only have had to come out on a down pour a few times...but its no big deal.....
I did not know these tents had an awning option.....thanks for the link......

I gots the columbus variant...
had it for a lil over 4 years I think.
I did not know these tents had an awning option.....thanks for the link......
You are welcome.
They even have extendable wings over the two doors for the tents shaped like mine listed on the Italian site.
Wings - Autohome

wings_slide.jpg

I'm curious how that rainfly attaches itself to the Columbus, looks interesting and worthwhile.

My Columbus gets condensation inside when there are two of us with all the windows closed during the colder nights. So, it's safe to say that it's fairly air tight when everything is zipped up. I just open up both doors while I pack up and that usually clears up the condensation but mind you, I'm in NM/UT/CO where the humidity is usually low.

IIRC the Columbus models utilize different fabric than Maggiolinas. Columbus is not as breathable ... the feel, texture, weave & hand is very different between the two I've owned

You are welcome.
They even have extendable wings over the two doors for the tents shaped like mine listed on the Italian site.
Wings - Autohome

Thanks for pointing out the 'wings'. I've had my Extreme for 3 years and never saw these before. Like any tent,
they can be hot when it's hot, but they do have excellent airflow once you open the doors and vents. Another nice thing
about being above the eye line, no one to look in or down so privacy is higher when reducing bedding.

Thanks for pointing out the 'wings'. I've had my Extreme for 3 years and never saw these before. Like any tent,
they can be hot when it's hot, but they do have excellent airflow once you open the doors and vents. Another nice thing
about being above the eye line, no one to look in or down so privacy is higher when reducing bedding.
You are welcome.
I may have to contact Mike or Andrew to see if they can get these in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom