Auto trans and softer ride for my mini. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2.28:1 or 4.7:1 or 10.72 is about as perfect as it can get! You will not be left wanting.

Sweet. Was contemplating staying with 35s but it doesn't make sense if I'm buying new tires anyway.

So with John's springs, lower gears, and softer tires and beadlocks, I just may be able to stand it without swaping the trans...

Well s***...
I'll come get the springs for my suspension mod.
I'm hoping to get the 4.7 crawler gears for Christmas.
The pitbulls are just too expensive for me at this point. I have a plan in place to purchase them, but just can't justify the cost. Sorry Rome, I think I'm gonna keep my 35s. Don't hate me.
The beadlocks are still a possibility, but I'm not sure.
I know, I'm weak.
I built this entire rig with cash and don't wanna put 3+ grand on a credit card for upgrades.
I'm so confused!

Why not look at the nittos or those new pro comp tires that are supposed to be badass, most likely cheaper than rockers as well.

The Nitto's are pretty sweet. I have no regrets going to them, I only wished they made them in a 42 :D

Nitto and the pro comp are basically the same price as the pitbulls and both only offer the 37 in a 17" wheel....when you go up to bigger sizes there is more of a savings with them but in 37 they are all bout 399 each. I had a moment where I thought spending a chunk of $$ was a good idea, but I just ain't the hi roller I used to be.
Maybe after I pay off the tires I put on the Tundra I'll feel differently about it. I have time till I'll go wheeling again anyway.

Makes sense. You could always get some tried and true bias ply tsls, those are fairly inexpensive and can be shot with a missle in the sidewall and be fine.

May defeat the purpose of getting them for a better ride though

Appreciate the inut Hoff.
Per standard project planning protocol, I may change back to the original plan or switch it all up completely. So keep the ideas coming.
For once I'm not just buying s*** on a whim and hoping it works. This pre-planning thing may well have some benefits.

Just do beadlocks now and tires later...

That may be the way I go.
The wife is gonna buy me the 4.7 crawler gears for Christmas.

Beadlocks are incredible. Airing WAY down makes any tire better. Sounds like a decent option.

Or just ride with who ever offers the most comfortable ride.

Tony some feedback having a stupid low geared manual truck:

If working the clutch fxxxs up your back, i would also budget for an automatic in the future. I still work the clutch a lot, am i bumping stuff still yea but the stupid low gears do help with the actual speed driving through the rocks. An auto would probibly smooth out the jerkyness. Feedback from my wife with a fxxxed up back is that with the larger tires the general trail riding is smoother, however that was kind of offset by trying harder trails with bigger tires now.

Some food for thought, i would still do the stupid low gears no matter what the trans.

Yes, stupid low gears first.
Softer spring packs (hybrid home made with John's donors)
And I'm back to leaning heavily towards the beadlocks and the taller tires. I figured the pitbulls were crazy expensive, but I'm finding most 37s are in the same price range.
I may as well just do it cause I opened the new card with the 18 months no interest just for the purpose of getting this stuff.
I may have to go to Ohio to pick them up, cause they'll only deliver to curb side and I gotta be home when they deliver . Not sure I can make that work.
I'll have to pay tax and gas $$ but I think that's what I'll have to do.

I'm running 4" all pro springs with bilstien 5150's on 35" tsl's. Truck is a manual with dual cases and stock gears in them. The ride in it is very good I feel like for a leaf sprung rig.

Tony, if having them shipped to my office would be easier, feel free to use it. We'll have several opportunities to meet up.

If it's cheaper to ship to a business with a dock you can have them shipped to my office too

If it's cheaper to ship to a business with a dock you can have them shipped to my office too

Ditto
Pick what works bestest and let us know.
Reliable PMW
301 W. Ohio St
KENDALLVILLE in 46755

Put my name on it....Not Gappy though but maybe Walter.

I ordered the beadlocks today and am waiting on the tires. But thank you all for the offers to ship to your businesses.
When I get ready to do tires I will take you up on that.
I'll try the springs & beadlocks first and see how it is.
Wife is giving me my Christmas $$ in 2 weeks and I'll order my gears, marlin should have a black Friday sale so I may wait for that.
I definitely feel comfortable with the decision to wait on the tires and that's important to me.
I can pay that off pretty quickly and then I'll be willing to get something else. I may decide I want other things besides tires by that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom