Australian-style Off-Road Radio Antennas (GMRS & CB & Ham) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Noob question 🙋🏼‍♂️

Can this antenna be hooked up to a CB? I need to choose a decent setup for my future travels?

So people who have these antennas in 2m, how do you like them? Getting an arb bumper on my 2018 land cruiser next week and looking to get rid of the mag mount antenna. I guess 1 question I should ask is, so the coax is permanently attached to the antenna? As in it wouldn't be easy to take the antenna down to say, go through the auto car wash?

1 question I should ask is, so the coax is permanently attached to the antenna? As in it wouldn't be easy to take the antenna down to say, go through the auto car wash?

The coax affixes permanently to the base. The top section of the antenna is threaded to the base so can be removed for car washes et cetera.

The coax affixes permanently to the base. The top section of the antenna is threaded to the base so can be removed for car washes et cetera.
Is there a weather cap that comes with the antenna or can one be ordered? Could you maybe show some pictures? Thanks.

Is there a weather cap that comes with the antenna or can one be ordered? Could you maybe show some pictures? Thanks.
I can! I will actually make a removal video for y'all. As per cap, we were having some 3D printed (and maybe still will), but rubber chair leg protectors are working wonders. Seems a bit amateur but but they've proven to be perfect.

I can! I will actually make a removal video for y'all. As per cap, we were having some 3D printed (and maybe still will), but rubber chair leg protectors are working wonders. Seems a bit amateur but but they've proven to be perfect.
So the base that needs to be covered isn't a standard base? Like an NMO base, because I've seen weather caps for NMO bases. A video would be great, thanks.

So the base that needs to be covered isn't a standard base? Like an NMO base, because I've seen weather caps for NMO bases. A video would be great, thanks.

Sorry it took a bit, a crazy week. Alas, here is a quick video showing how the antenna and base mate. It is not a standard base, other than mounting at the bottom of the spring base by a 14mm stud. It is also not NMO. NMO and its associated bases don't have spring and can't handle the dynamic moment generated by driving these, and you want to maintain the least impedance mismatch at the base of the inductor/coil/element not at the spring.

Hopefully this helps. I swear the background sound didn't sound as ominous when I added it at first, LOL.

It'd be awesome if you could offer one base with multiple "ham sticks" for different bands, and/or sell the sticks separately to help with the cost.

We are just now getting to some volume sales where this makes some business sense. Please reach out to us mailto:antennas@alamosa.mobi if you are interested in multiple band antenna options on a single base.

Sorry it took a bit, a crazy week. Alas, here is a quick video showing how the antenna and base mate. It is not a standard base, other than mounting at the bottom of the spring base by a 14mm stud. It is also not NMO. NMO and its associated bases don't have spring and can't handle the dynamic moment generated by driving these, and you want to maintain the least impedance mismatch at the base of the inductor/coil/element not at the spring.

Hopefully this helps. I swear the background sound didn't sound as ominous when I added it at first, LOL.

I saw your post on Instagram. This was my deciding factor, i ordered one immediately. Thanks!

I was just on the website and noticed that a cap for the springs can now be ordered. This is amazing! They are however currently out of stock. When do you think more will be available?

I was just on the website and noticed that a cap for the springs can now be ordered. This is amazing! They are however currently out of stock. When do you think more will be available?

We have a great contact in the broader off-road community who is manufacturing them for us. We have an order in for the next batch and I believe they are presently waiting on materials. We did a much bigger order this time. I hope within the coming weeks!

We have a great contact in the broader off-road community who is manufacturing them for us. We have an order in for the next batch and I believe they are presently waiting on materials. We did a much bigger order this time. I hope within the coming weeks!
I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks again for making these!

Anybody here have one of these antennas on a 2016 or newer land cruiser mind posting a picture of where you ran the cable through the firewall

We've had the opportunity to be running this tall, open-range, high-gain antenna for a while now, having tested it since about April 2023. I need to take some video, but it sways and oscillates LESS than the smaller antennas. Pretty remarkable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom