Aussie Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got the Aussie in the stock front diff of my 84 BJ-42 (lockrite in the rear). I've still got the birfs and have not had any trouble yet--but I don't power into things. I try to finesse when possible.

Does anyone here have highway experience with these? my cruiser is my daily driver and I have been looking at these. whenever I go wheeling I drive there so I just curious what people thing of them on the highway.

- Rico.

Personally I wouldn't do one of these on a daily driver. I'll let you know what I think of Highway manners when I get it on the highway.

I kinda hate driving the cruiser on the highway anyway cause I have to forcefully floor it just to maintain highway speeds of around 70 or so.

i've had a lockright in a daily driver for years no issues here . don't even notice it there . front and rear locked .drive it year round on highway ,city driving . everywhere . summer winter . rain or snow .do have to lock the front to go anywhere in the snow .still drives and steers fine . just like any locking differentail . drive carefully and pay attention . until you are comfortable .with how your truck handles all types of situations . no problem here .

My FJ40 has been my DD for much of the past 6 years, and with a Lockright in the rear. I've put at least 80k miles on it as a DD. Seldom notice the LR on the road, generally just in slow tight turns, or pulling away from a stop that involves a turn. It's no problem at highway speeds. If tire wear has been increased it's been a minimum. Benefits outweigh the drawbacks, especially once you're off the pavement.

Just put about 100 miles on the cruiser with much of it on the freeway. Couldn't tell anything was different on the freeway. Driving around town I did notice it sorta shimmies around in the back when I accelerate and change gears. Very minor.

The clicking noise is also unnoticeable unless you are in a parking lot or something.

I guess it would be ok in a daily driver. I still wouldn't do it. But I would never have an FJ40 for a daily driver either. I much prefer my Tacoma for running around town and what not.

That is GREAT info Gary!!

Someone should contact this guy and see if we can have this in out tech links....

This should answer ANY questions that people would have about installing one of these in any Toyota diff.

:beer:

Anyplace other then offroadlockers that I can buy these? I called them today and said I was interested in getting these, she said what kind of car, I said FJ40 and she said "what is that", shocked I was like "Okay, now I'm scared, Landcruiser" she says "who is that made by?".... So I tell her Toyota and she sends me off to somebody else, thinking all was okay as I'd reached the cleaning lady or something the next gal to get on the phone did the same thing!

I really don't wanna deal with a company like that so what are my other options on $250 lockers? Also, any way we can get a group buy going?

What you reached was the answering service when we are out of the office. We apologize as all they should do is to take your phone number and then contact someone by cell phone. We are often out testing products so we depend on our 24/7 answering service to provide our customers with a high level of service, which they did not do this time. We apologize and we will speak to them. I am sending you my personal cell phone number and ask that you call me for any questions you may have. Bill Cole, President of Torq-Masters Technology.

sonoranfun said:
Anyplace other then offroadlockers that I can buy these?

I really don't wanna deal with a company like that so what are my other options on $250 lockers? Also, any way we can get a group buy going?
Please give them another try. Call or email Bill. You won't be disappointed. They are a class outfit.

Side note - I wheeled my 4runner in the Cascades this weekend with a new Aussie in the rear. It was a Jamboree with about 300 Jeeps and I made them take notice. Amazing traction even with highway tires. Ran the Naches and Divide trails with almost no issues. Had no business doing as well as I did. Thanks Bill!

And just a note on highway manners. I noticed a definite change in handling at high speed, but it's predictable. On the freeway, on any curve, at any speed, there is a noticeable tendancy to understeer with hard acceleration and to oversteer with sudden deceleration. This is expected and easy to accomodate by making gradual throttle changes instead of abrupt ones.

The understeer is due to the locker trying to make the inner tire run faster to "catch up to" the outer tire. The result is to try and straighten the vehicle. The oversteer is the counter effect. I was able to make my 4runner jump pretty good if I tried hard. Could probably minimize this effect by replacing some tie rod ends. Also, I was packed to the brim with tools and parts and camping gear, so plenty of extra weight to toss around.

Thanks for the QUICK responce Bill.... I did get a chance to speak live with somebody who knew what an FJ40 was:) Bill was very nice to talk to and I jumped the gun in thinking he hired 1st graders for his sales department... I'm going to end up getting 3-4 sets and I look forward to doing business with you guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom