August Official Club Run to Blue Lake (Aug 12th) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This weekend is our monthly Club run. We are going to run Independence Pass to Blue Lake (just south of Big Timber). Intel says the road is OPEN!

Each of our official club runs are designed to be flexible. You can run one long day (Saturday) or come out Friday night and camp and enjoy a leisurely morning on Saturday before airing down. Also, you can choose your own adventure and stay after the official club run up at Blue Lake and explore some more...It's up to you.

Where:
The plan is to meet up at Natural Bridges on Saturday morning, get the group together and air down and leave Natural Bridges at 10 a.m. Google says Natural Bridges is an 1hr 30min from Bozeman. For more scenic, take Swingley Road from Livingston to cutoff to McLeod. There should be cell reception at Natural Bridges, but don't count on it.

This is a LONG out and back with about endless miles of washboard roads to get to the trail head. Once on the trail it is scenic and easy with a few technical spots. From Natural Bridge, the road is 30 miles, one way, to the top.

We suggest running this overnight and camp at the top. It can be done in a day but it would be a LONG day. Previous years we left Bozeman about 8am and got to the lake by around 3:30/4pm. This was with a stop at Natural Bridges to poke around and lunch as well.

Camping:
The end of the trail is at the Wilderness Boundary at around 9,500 feet elevation. Camping and views are epic. The Mine has some fun things to explore. Fishing is possible in the lake.
I'm headed up Friday for camping in the canyon at lower elevation, somewhere between Natural Bridges and Hicks Park. Will not camp at Blue Lake Sat night. So those of you staying Saturday night up top, please post up your plans so folks can join in.

Trail/Vehicle Requirements:
This has historically been a mild trail with a few technical spots. But with last year's washout, there may be a technical spot or two. Bushes are tight in spots so expect some pin stripping like most trails here in Montana.

Other Details:
Coms: GMRS/FRS Channel 15 (edited) and HAM 146.460
This is big bear country so everyone needs to be prepared to camp accordingly.
Bring your own food, water, supplies for camping etc.
We are a family friendly club so bring the fam along.
Well behaved dogs are welcome.
This is a driving trip, but there should be places for short hikes and photos. Bring your camera.
Remember you live in MT... plan for cold evenings and hot days and possible rain/snow/hail/blizzard/wind/blazing heat/fires at any moment. :)

Closest gas is in Big Timber/Livingston . We had plenty on stock tanks last year with no need for extra gas. You can take a shortcut on Swingley Road (the dirt road out of Livingston) and it takes just as long.

The plan right now (depending on who's in) is to meet up at Natural Bridges before 10, air down and head out.

So...

Who is in!?
@90WT
@geo5
@EthanR
@Saul Abel
@mccracken
@Tanaman
@406Camper
@Taz

Most likely in:
@cuwallace2

Last edited:
Watching this for pics/ trail info. Wish I could run it with you guys!

200 with rear locker on 35s should be fine?
rear locker and 35s can do everything in MT

With the right mindset this is accurate!

Anywhere I need to go anyway LOL
no seriously im trying to find the rocks big enough to give my 35s a problem, i did everything on 33s and rear locker.

This one has potential for big bears too so plan your food storage accordingly.

We are in, camping Friday somewhere TBD and Saturday camping at the lake. Looking forward to it!

Based upon the Tourons of Yellowstone vids I keep seeing lately, most people think they are at a petting zoo.

1691697325660.jpeg

Suddenly had Friday open up. Matt- any good spots or larger spots near Natural Bridge for a Friday night camp? Anyone open to communal camping?!

Suddenly had Friday open up. Matt- any good spots or larger spots near Natural Bridge for a Friday night camp? Anyone open to communal camping?!
We’re down for group camp if you’re cool with children running around crazy

I'm up for camping together. There are lots of campgrounds and pull-outs throughout that corridor. My only hiccup is my trailer needs to fit.

Here are two spots that could work:
camping spot 1
camping spot 2

I'm not sure how full/busy it is over there this weekend. The only trick would be to figure out who is in the area first, and find them. (I guess radios are good for that). I realistically won't be leaving Bozeman before 6 so I doubt I'll be the first one over there.

I'm up for camping together. There are lots of campgrounds and pull-outs throughout that corridor. My only hiccup is my trailer needs to fit.

Here are two spots that could work:
camping spot 1
camping spot 2

I'm not sure how full/busy it is over there this weekend. The only trick would be to figure out who is in the area first, and find them. (I guess radios are good for that). I realistically won't be leaving Bozeman before 6 so I doubt I'll be the first one over there.

Are You towing a trailer to blue lake? This is my
Plan if It’s so able

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom