Arm that holds Rear Shock on 1996 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had shocks put on recently and the mechanic said the arm that hold the shock on is rotted (Right Rear). It needs to be replaced. Anybody have an idea of the name of the part or is it something that has to be repaired, etc.

Thanks
Gman

I am guessing he means the female threaded post that the lower shock eyelet slides onto. I think you could just weld on a new post or even kind of reverse it and weld a high quality stud there and use the washer and a nut to hold the shock in place. Kinda depends on the condition of the base material, if you can grind down to solid metal or not.

pics might help a bit....

the bottom shock mount bolt is notorious for being rusted out - (plenty of posts)

pray that that is what he is referring to -

not that fabricating a new actual mount is impossible (as stated above) - will need more toolz / skillz than your avg. home mudder...

BF

I'm not versed in the way rust attacks vehicles, but the rear shock is that bolt on the axle end (you can see it if you go prone from behind the rear axle) & a plate (hexagonal / octagonal shape) the shock mounts to, then has 2 bolts to the upper/body side.

Either end shouldn't be alot of money unless you're buying the labor & a rear lower bolt is snapped & needs drilling.

If it's the upper shock plate I'd buy a used one, it's just a formed steel plate, no bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom