SOLD Arizona: 1977 FJ40 Rock and trail rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Tan
1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, 145k miles on ODO
$25k
Highly modified. Competent rock crawler that is still streetable. If you are a Toyota purist, it’s not for you. If you’re looking for a rock and trail rig this could be for you. Same owner for the past 30 years. This rig has evolved and been reinvented many times over those years. Many of the custom mods and parts are home fab. Many trail miles across the southwest, Arizona, Utah and Colorado and has never let me down. The difficult decision to part with it has been made and it is time to move it on to another FJ40 fan. But this is a highly modified purpose-built vehicle that isn’t for everyone. Rust free AZ truck. Original complete hardtop available. Many spares included.

The good
Engine:
Bored .030 and stroked Chevy 350 making it a low rev 383 (400 crank and rods). Howell TBI fuel injection with a custom off camber reservoir. Comp Cam. Roller tip rockers. Aluminum radiator. Serpentine accessory drive. Optima battery. Stock exhaust manifolds to single performance muffler. (Not emissions legal in Maricopa County without additional equipment. Currently registered as exempt with collector insurance policy)

Drivetrain:
Muncie SM465 4spd. Orion 4:1 twin stick transfer case. Tom Woods drive shafts. Stock Toyota 4:11 gears with Lockrite lockers front and rear. Longfield front axles/Birfields. Aisin hubs with chrome moly gear upgrade.

Suspension/steering:
Spring over axle on stock springs. Extended wheelbase. Bilstein shocks High steer from 4x4 labs. FJ60 knuckles. rear custom traction bar. Saginaw Scout steering box. PS pump from Benchworks. Power steering cooler. 35 x 12.50-15 Pro Comp mud tires on classic “Chrome Nugget” wheels. Rear disc brakes.

Interior:
Stock seats reupholstered with extra bolstering. Rear trunk box storage (many trail spares included). Tuffy console. Alpine stereo head radio/USB no CD. Rockford amp and 6x9s. Tachometer. Stock gauges have been upgraded using Autometer internals for Volts, Oil and Temp and LED cluster lighting using kit from Amauerer at IH8MUD. CB radio. Roll cage front to back. Fire extinguisher.

Accessories:
On board air via engine driven compressor, including small storage tank. Extra rear backup light. Under hood light. Custom bumpers front and rear. Custom rocker protection. Custom hard half doors with soft uppers. Full soft doors. Bikini tops made for the cage. Custom cooler and gas can rack mounted on reversed stock tire carrier. Custom skid plate/trans mount. Auxiliary fuse boxes. Hella headlights.

Notable spares/extras that are negotiable in the price: Complete hard top. New in the box Detroit locker. Toyota tube style spare tire carrier. 2 third members with gears. Transmission core parts. Toyota FSM and Haynes manual. Con Ferr roof rack. Toyota front axle/knuckle alignment tool.

The bad

Some trail scars. Marks its spot in the garage. Throw out bearing is a little squeaky when cold. Brake master is seeping some fluid around a sensor. Hard top had a spotlight mounted by previous owner. The hole is covered with a plate and gasket. Tires are old but have been stored inside and are in good shape and still have good tread. Soft top is old and dated, but no holes. Rear window zippers are tricky.

Some build details: Glucosamine treatment for an old warrior - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/glucosamine-treatment-for-an-old-warrior.452873/

More pics

youtube video link

20231202_133046.jpg
20231202_133143.jpg
20231202_133635.jpg
20231202_133504.jpg
20231202_133401.jpg
20231202_133522.jpg
20231202_133600.jpg
20231202_133216.jpg

20231203_121051.jpg

20231202_133232.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I will forward to a friend that is looking for an off-road FJ. Floors and rear deck original/not repaired? Where are you located?
Phoenix AZ. Rig has been here since new. All sheet metal is original.

It always breaks my heart when I see one go up for sale. Especially if I have done a run with it. Classic Cruize 2019

It always breaks my heart when I see one go up for sale. Especially if I have done a run with it. Classic Cruize 2019
All things must pass as they say. Tough to let it go, but it's time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom