Are the Total Chaos UCA worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a back spacing issue with your factory rims, all the aftermarket UCAs have a suggested 4.5" back spacing on the rim for proper clearance which can be done by using a 1/2" wheel spacer.

Where can one source a 1/2" wheel spacer?

LT,
Thank you for your reply but can you explain how camber adjust would be different from the stock UCA? I've read through the installation instructions of the Total Chaos arms, these appear just as fixed in lenght as the original ones? If this is the case, camber adjustment will be limited by the factory adjusters on the LCA. These are at their outer limit as it stands today on my car.
I don't see how a different top unibearing will change this unless the position is different from the stock pivot point. Its the overall geometry of the two arms and wheel carrier that is changed by the increased suspension height.
Regards,
Nan

Is there anybody who can shed some light on this discussion please? I'm hesitant to fork out $700 for something may or may not fix my camber problems...

I would call Metal Tech. Click on LT's link and find the number.

That is a back spacing issue with your factory rims, all the aftermarket UCAs have a suggested 4.5" back spacing on the rim for proper clearance which can be done by using a 1/2" wheel spacer.

The UCA's will still work with the factory rims, however, correct???

The 1-22-11 "Fox shox on a LC200" thread guy has same OME coils as I have. His "comfy" comments I guess now are directed at the FS coilovers and not the UCA's. After installation of my OME struts, coils, shocks and lift part of installation is to have front end re-aligned. It is common upon acceleration for the front to pull to the right. I guess it has something to do with the amount of up travel. As I understand it, and it may be a misunderstanding, with UCA's this issue will not occur. What I didn't know is if it would impact the ride. By the way TS21, I drive my 73 Chev. Vega wagon with a Thrush muffler and 230M miles on the aluminum block to Park Meadows. This is interesting.

I have had the Fox 2.5 CO and Total Chaos upper control arms on for a few months now, after several alignments with different shops the LC is still pulling to the right on medium to hard acceleration. Any other ideas what can be causing this? Someone mentioned tires, I did replace stock tires at same time to Michelin LTX A/T2. Thanks.

Bump, someone has to know why I'm pulling to the right now on hard acceleration. Jumping has been fun though!

image-2364950126.jpg

Lol it's probably the photoshop filter you used causing the pulling. :)

But in case you are being serious: How hard is it pulling to the right and how much of does the pull increase heavier or lighter acceleration?

As you probably know many front wheel drive cars pull hard in one direction under heavy acceleration, maybe you are getting some of the offset axel effect?

Last edited:
The alignment is off, or the lower bushings are bad and allowing the alignment to change. Do you have the alignment specs? Jumping a vehicle is hard on the components, and can easily knock things out of spec. Inspect the rear lower bushings for excessive movement.

if that is real, i would sell my rig and buy a Ford Raptor or build Tundra to Baja specs. these things are rock crawling and off roading rigs, not flying machines. Three tons isn't meant fly.

or have someone video this and down load on You Tube. everyone loves to watch someone else trash their toy.

Totally agree, Brian. I just didn't know if the jumper had done some appropriate mods to make it durable for repeated landings. Most of my off-roading in my LC was more in line with Baja than rock climbing but stock, it did awesome. But I wasn't catching air.

And off topic, I'm getting my new Sequoia next month, but since it is a Platinum, I don't know what I might be doing with the suspension yet (your obvious area of expertise in this platform). Wish you had some pics on your website with your projects.

That was yesterday and I'll post it in you tube, these things are designed to jump, with the appropriate suspension upgrades :). Landing was like butter and I must of did it 4 times...

The pulling started after the coil overs and rear springs were put on and I've had it aligned 3 times. I also did the upper A arms, total chaos.

The pulling is slight under moderate acceleration but becomes more severe with WOT.

2011 CA Cruiser with Fox 2.5 CO front, OME springs and Fox shocks Rear

Again, the pulling started a few months ago when i had the suspension put on. It never pulled before. Maybe the new tires might be a factor? Here is the link to the youtube video. If you can't jump an 80K suv then not sure why you are buy one to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjw8cUM4a_o&feature=youtu.be

enjoy

The pulling started after the coil overs and rear springs were put on and I've had it aligned 3 times. I also did the upper A arms, total chaos.

The pulling is slight under moderate acceleration but becomes more severe with WOT.

The pulling you are experiencing sounds like the typical torque steer exhibited by front wheel drive vehicles that put a lot of power to the ground through halfshafts that are running some big angles ... thus it makes some sense that you are feeling it after the lift given the power the 5.7 puts down and the full time 4wd. The 100 series cruisers can exhibit the same thing when you get the front end a bit too high.

My $0.02 applied to an $80K vehicle :grinpimp:

Bump, someone has to know why I'm pulling to the right now on hard acceleration. Jumping has been fun though!

Had the same issue. The only solution is to install Total Chaos upper control arms on the front. Trust me, I tried everything else! Just get them and then take back to dealer or any shop and the alignment will pull in..

This is after I installed the OME lift, so if stock and pulling, that is another issue.

Had the same issue. The only solution is to install Total Chaos upper control arms on the front. Trust me, I tried everything else! Just get them and then take back to dealer or any shop and the alignment will pull in..

This is after I installed the OME lift, so if stock and pulling, that is another issue.

I have the TC A Arms though already ;(

The pulling you are experiencing sounds like the typical torque steer exhibited by front wheel drive vehicles that put a lot of power to the ground through halfshafts that are running some big angles ... thus it makes some sense that you are feeling it after the lift given the power the 5.7 puts down and the full time 4wd. The 100 series cruisers can exhibit the same thing when you get the front end a bit too high.

My $0.02 applied to an $80K vehicle :grinpimp:

Yes, I understand that, the angles are dang near stock though as I dropped the dif at the same time. My 03 100 series (still have) with OME 2.5 inch torsion bar lift and no dif drop has no pull at all under acceleration. Neither did my 04 runner which had essentially the same set up as the 11 cruiser, except reservoirs with the fox coil overs....maybe TAG can figure it out, thx and happy riding...

Looking good doanlaw

Do you have your post alignment report data? If so post it up here. If you have had it done more than once they should have supplied you with the data in hard copy. I'm betting you have incorrect castor settings with that torque steer going on.

Mind you, with the low flying, take-off and landing regime you have going on there I'd expect you would need a regular check and reset of your plan's undercarriage alignment anyway.

Perhaps you should see how it performs if you reduce the coilover preload by 10mm or so (assuming they are not at their lowest preload setting already). That would lower total ride height by maybe half an inch or more and might make all the difference.

As a matter of interest what size coilovers and spring rates do you have. Looks to be landing real nicely.

Last edited:
For a butter smooth landing like that I could live with a little bit of torque steer.

It would still be helpful though to know if the torque steer you are seeing is so bad you have to fight it or only noticeable if you punch it with your hands off the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom