Are People Using SOR Soft Top ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
marcstpierrephotography.com
Haven't at all seen very many of SOR's OEM-type
soft tops on rigs, nor have I heard much being
said or written about them. Actually, not at all.

Am I right ? And if so, is there a reason for that ?

exq.jpg

~Skydog

Well, I think it's a good bit funny that in something like eight or ten or so years now, the image below is pretty much the ONLY image I've crossed of what seems to be an SOR sponsored soft top - that I've seen. And yet, on their website, SOR has shown the exact same four or five images of the black soft top strapped to the early 70's Capri Blue vehicle for that long or longer.

... Have they NOT done ANY other vehicles, that they wish to show - by whomever it is that makes the tops they still seem to sell ??

As much as many of us here seek an OEM styled soft top; and other than Marshall, who's delegated the responsibility to Julie, I just can't figure it with how literally non-existent it's been with the SOR soft top (shown as a 'forever' frozen-in-time set of four or five images upon their website) ... I mean, really, we hear more about a shady Ethan, over in Pakistan, than about soft tops from the "reputable" SOR, in SoCal.

qqr.jpg

~Skydog

Last edited:
FWIW I bought an SOR top that was in their "closeout" section as it had some minor damage from manufacturing. It is white vinyl and came with some material to redo the factory soft doors to match. Does it fit? I have no idea as I don't have an FJ40 that is ready for a soft top. My guess is that Kayline made it for them given the timeframe of my purchase (at least 10 years ago now). A couple friends had Kayline replacement tops and the construction looked similar. The Kayline tops fit very well IIRC so I expect this top to fit fine. No idea where SOR is getting them made now.

Nick

FWIW I bought an SOR top that was in their "closeout" section as it had some minor damage from manufacturing. It is white vinyl and came with some material to redo the factory soft doors to match. Does it fit? I have no idea as I don't have an FJ40 that is ready for a soft top. My guess is that Kayline made it for them given the timeframe of my purchase (at least 10 years ago now). A couple friends had Kayline replacement tops and the construction looked similar. The Kayline tops fit very well IIRC so I expect this top to fit fine. No idea where SOR is getting them made now.

Nick

Did the top have the small narrow window in the front. I have three Kayline tops. My guess the newest being from 94 when bought that new. Pretty sure it was from Man-A-Fre. Thought Kayline was gone ten years ago and Specialty Tops made the Design for a while but that ended too. The SOR top pictured in this thread does not look like a Kayline top. Front window looks a little wide.

Sor’s top is a copy of the Kayline... I however like the window shapes better with the old Kayline then the new sor tops ... just too squared IMHO

@zebrabeefj40 if it was 10 years ago it was a Kayline or ST top ... the sor tops were only from maybe 5 years ago they started making them

A couple of my Kayline tops. Not the best pictures but the I could find on my computer. Last picture I posted believe was from when SOR first starting offering replacement top again. It looked closer to the old Kayline. Could be wrong but believe that what it is. Maybe someone else remembers.

001029.jpg
001011.jpg
soft top and bows 009.jpg
softtopBanner_17-big.jpg

Wow, just wow. This thread has nothing but misinformation. And I find Skydog's mischaracterization wrong I so many ways that I am completely turned off on helping correct It.

I will say this. Anyone who has been around long enough should remember that I loaned SOR an NOS IN THE TOYOTA BOX FST to get their measurements from before I sold that NOS top on this forum.

Do some research people.

I remember that mark

But... the windows sor made to look like that of the Kayline ... Kayline was a supplier of the replacement tops for several years when toyota stopped importing canvas and went to a local supplier ... it was bought from toyota ... toyota part number: 00021-14260

72-73 and 76-77

Also Husky made a squared off window configuration window top that was also sold thru toyota as a replacement ... but... also USA made/sourced top

I recall you saying that the top you and Marv were looking at was the classic 5 window ... one on the sides and three in back

I remember when you sold that top in the haul of nos posting you made ... was surprised to see what sor made... and disappointed ... a Kayline window placement

Maybe they used the original oe top for measurements... but... failed at a copy of an oem top :meh:

Still surprised by what Sor came out with

@65swb45

Mark :

Not to be unpleasant or rude, but I've given no information, other than my observation of not easily seeing any such soft top as of late from SOR, that resembles the four or five images still sported on their website - which they want $1,400 for. The only one other image that I've ever seen, in how many years I don't really know, was posted by me here, above in this thread. - Simply an observation turned into a curious question, as to which I'm asking here, "Why?"

Mischaracterization ? : I'm neutral & have nothing at all against SOR, nor Marshall's Trollhole products & services. I've already purchased a stock-pile of items from SOR, and anticipate purchasing from Marshall as well. And I'm indeed not approaching this board to point fingers or 'mischaracterize.' - - Again, with the seemingly nice & good quality soft top SOR has been sporting on their website, why are we, here, not experiencing more images of this specific product on the road, around us ? ... If I'm mischaracterizing this topic, then WHY DON'T YOU show us some pictures of the current SOR soft top being happily used out & about ?? - that we know, more assuredly, it's actually being sought buy "us consumers."

And as far as me remembering you loaning your soft top to SOR that they could duplicate its design ? : Although that seems really nice of you, I wasn't there dude.

But the actual design of the SOR soft top, and where it stemmed from, is not overly important to me. I just want to know if theirs is being actively pursued - as I haven't been noticing otherwise.

Me doing research is an understatement. I've done more than you can possibly imagine. Not just this topic, a topic of interest to me I'm just getting started on, which is of one company's OEM styled soft top; but that I research, to an extent, most subjects that cross my pea-sized brain. And this thread, initiated in kind & without aim for offense, is & was directly related to that on-going 'research' of mine.

~Marc

Last edited:
A couple of my Kayline tops. Not the best pictures but the I could find on my computer. Last picture I posted believe was from when SOR first starting offering replacement top again. It looked closer to the old Kayline. Could be wrong but believe that what it is. Maybe someone else remembers.

View attachment 1573165 View attachment 1573166 View attachment 1573168 View attachment 1573173
Tom :

I do like these, these pre-SOR Kaylines that you're showing here. I really like the black one. And I do very much like the curved corners of the individual windows. They're Perfect !! ... And I like the actual design of your early-SOR one as well. I thank you. ~Marc

Tom :

I do like these, these pre-SOR Kaylines that you're showing here. I really like the black one. And I do very much like the curved corners of the individual windows. They're Perfect !! ... And I like the actual design of your early-SOR one as well. I thank you. ~Marc

The last one pictured is of what I remember as the first version of top SOR they started selling, which is not mine. That black one is one I bought off of Mud back in 09. It was sale for a few days and had no interest. It was $200 for the top and bows. I couldn't pass it up at that price. Cost me that much again to get it shipped and had to make all the arrangements. But I always like the black Kayline tops. Needs a little work.

Last edited:
Did the top have the small narrow window in the front. I have three Kayline tops. My guess the newest being from 94 when bought that new. Pretty sure it was from Man-A-Fre. Thought Kayline was gone ten years ago and Specialty Tops made the Design for a while but that ended too. The SOR top pictured in this thread does not look like a Kayline top. Front window looks a little wide.
Living in the Past - I do not remember the window configuration off the top of my head. I bought it, pulled it out of the box to admire it for a while and then have stored it since. It is currently in my parts stash in IN: I am in MA. When I head home for the Christmas holiday I'll try and pull the top out for a quick photo or two.

Nick

Living in the Past - I do not remember the window configuration off the top of my head. I bought it, pulled it out of the box to admire it for a while and then have stored it since. It is currently in my parts stash in IN: I am in MA. When I head home for the Christmas holiday I'll try and pull the top out for a quick photo or two.

Nick
Nick :

If & when you do photo your unfolded, early SOR white soft top, would you mind to post the pictures here - that we (and particularly myself) can continue to learn ?

I remember vividly SOR having a white soft top on their website, next to the black one, and the white one was a "close out" item. My memory is that the white one had two windows on each side (one more narrow than the other) and one in the rear (just like the black one). I remember a statement being written under the white one that said it was NOT Water Proof (but that their black one, at that time, was) ... Is that what you recall as well ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Wow, just wow. This thread has nothing but misinformation. And I find Skydog's mischaracterization wrong I so many ways that I am completely turned off on helping correct It.

I will say this. Anyone who has been around long enough should remember that I loaned SOR an NOS IN THE TOYOTA BOX FST to get their measurements from before I sold that NOS top on this forum.

Do some research people.

Here are pictures I believe are a soft tops sold sold by SOR prior 2010 and weren't from Kayline/Specialty Top. These pictures I have saved that are files from a old computer that I switched around 9/09. They are in a file with the pictures of the black Kayline top. I remember buying that in the first half of 09.

softtopBanner_04.jpg
softtopBanner_15-big.jpg
softtopBanner_17-big.jpg
softtopBanner_18-big.jpg
softtopBanner_19-big.jpg

If these pictures aren't of the top sold by SOR please correct me. I mentioned being corrected in my earlier post. Believe I copied them from a thread on Mud. In the past I had better luck searching on Mud to find these old threads. My computer skills have a hard time keeping up with technology. But looking at the front bumper and few other things this appears to be the same cruiser as in the original picture in this thread of the top SOR is selling. I remember the NOS top you picked up and even SOR borrowing it but as @JohnnyC said they measured off a original top but didn't copy the design and used the old Kayline top style. Which seems a shame. I picked up some Toyota pricing books from early/mid sixties Toyota dealer. It included pricing for items locally produced sold by Toyota thru their dealers. Items like Ramsey PTO winches, Husky hubs, Eaton heaters and the replacement Husky tops. Even have a brochure for the Husky top. One thing I like about my Kayline soft tops while not original Toyota they are period correct.

I helped a friend install a SOR top and I was impressed with the fit and material. I wish I had taken a few pics. of the installation.

Nick :

If & when you do photo your unfolded, early SOR white soft top, would you mind to post the pictures here - that we (and particularly myself) can continue to learn ?

I remember vividly SOR having a white soft top on their website, next to the black one, and the white one was a "close out" item. My memory is that the white one had two windows on each side (one more narrow than the other) and one in the rear (just like the black one). I remember a statement being written under the white one that said it was NOT Water Proof (but that their black one, at that time, was) ... Is that what you recall as well ?

Thanks.
The plan is to share photos here. As my purchase was many moons ago and I've slept more than a few times since I do not remember all the fine print of the ad when I purchased my top. I only recall surprise that the top lasted for several months in the clearance section at what I thought was a reasonable price (no, I don't recall what I paid either). IIRC it was there for at least 3 months before I said "If it's still there next month when I have some cash I'm buying it..." But now I'll have to dig it out just to satisfy my own curiosity if nothing else.

Nick

Here are pictures I believe are a soft tops sold sold by SOR prior 2010 and weren't from Kayline/Specialty Top. These pictures I have saved that are files from a old computer that I switched around 9/09. They are in a file with the pictures of the black Kayline top. I remember buying that in the first half of 09.

View attachment 1573876 View attachment 1573877 View attachment 1573878 View attachment 1573879 View attachment 1573880

If these pictures aren't of the top sold by SOR please correct me. I mentioned being corrected in my earlier post. Believe I copied them from a thread on Mud. In the past I had better luck searching on Mud to find these old threads. My computer skills have a hard time keeping up with technology. But looking at the front bumper and few other things this appears to be the same cruiser as in the original picture in this thread of the top SOR is selling. I remember the NOS top you picked up and even SOR borrowing it but as @JohnnyC said they measured off a original top but didn't copy the design and used the old Kayline top style. Which seems a shame. I picked up some Toyota pricing books from early/mid sixties Toyota dealer. It included pricing for items locally produced sold by Toyota thru their dealers. Items like Ramsey PTO winches, Husky hubs, Eaton heaters and the replacement Husky tops. Even have a brochure for the Husky top. One thing I like about my Kayline soft tops while not original Toyota they are period correct.
Indeed the pictures I remember once seeing on the SOR website, during the time of the clearance sale of this white soft top. The only other thing I remember, equally vividly, was that they had a statement written under this white soft top, "Not water proof." - But the black one they were selling (pictured at the top of this thread) was being sold as being water proof.

Thanks Tom for the fond memory !! :)
~Marc

The plan is to share photos here. As my purchase was many moons ago and I've slept more than a few times since I do not remember all the fine print of the ad when I purchased my top. I only recall surprise that the top lasted for several months in the clearance section at what I thought was a reasonable price (no, I don't recall what I paid either). IIRC it was there for at least 3 months before I said "If it's still there next month when I have some cash I'm buying it..." But now I'll have to dig it out just to satisfy my own curiosity if nothing else.

Nick
Nick : I'll be shocked if yours does not look just like the one Tom posted for us immediately above :) ~Marc

Well this thread has certainly taken a turn for the better, and on that basis I would like to apologize. Rather than just another vendor bashing, this time for stale photos [something I am very guilty of myself] I see a legitimate discussion on the variations of window size and placement between manufacturers, which is something I have never really paid attention to. It never even occurred to me that SOR's repro top would be different to the NOS one they spec'd from me. Thanks for pointing that out @JohnnyC So I learned something new in the process. I look forward to seeing what @zebrabeefj40 pulls out of mothballs this winter...and maybe learning some more.

So, for my part, I can tell you that the Kayline repro top was already being sold by Toyota back in 1990. I remember very clearly looking through the HARDBOOK at the dealership, at all the TSB coding and finding at the end of six lines of mysterious abbreviations, the Kayline PN for the top.

:cheers:

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread yesterday. Working too hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom