ARB Springs same BUT OEM springs different. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
TD springs and TourFlex (like OME) springs are made by King in Australia. As said above the taller spring goes to the gas tank side. TD and my TourFlex are 10-30mm longer on the tank side. I'm close to level to 1/4" off (pending customer loads) on all my spring installs. I think this would be the same for OME and Dobinson. These companies have 1000s of these spring sets out in the field. Sounds like a possible install issue with swapping springs or KDSS relief/operation during install.

Jason
I would agree; sounds like a KDSS issue.

I would agree; sounds like a KDSS issue.

It's not a KDSS issue, but thanks for that suggestion.

10mm is the difference on the 2724 ARB spings. .. HOWEVER --> Approx. 1.25" is the difference on the Toyota OEM springs.

Simple Math & ARB Marketing.

Last edited:
I respect your work .. but 10mm is not 1.25". That is a fact not an install issue. ... Just saying.:cool:

No s*** really....

You said " The factory Toyota driver side spring is shorter than the passenger side spring. The driver side is approx. 16.5" and the passenger side is 17-3/4".

When the ARB springs are installed they are the same height so they then lift the driver side more than the passenger side.

This 1-1/4" difference now makes my driver side 1-1/4" higher because of the springs."

The 2724 spring specs are:

Just for the record... I was answering @Sac Cerevisiae post.... I'm speaking of the differential between the spring free heights TD and I offer to the actual install height with weight on them and the final numbers we've achieved.

What were the lengths of the ARB 2724 prior to install. Posted above would be the correct answer here (unless you got the wrong coils in your box.... ) SO 10mm difference in coils... DS to PS... TALLER COIL to the PS and proper KDSS execution plays a HUGE part for a proper install.

JUST SAYING!

@Trail Tailer

I got it now thanks,

No I didn't measure the springs prior to install. Since they did not come with instructions I though they were the same.

Last edited:
I think TT might have been suggesting that the springs sent to you were the same length or did not have the length differences they should have. 10mm stated differences between A and B springs would not account for the stock spring length differences you measured, however there is probably a reasonable explanation. Those springs have been installed in many trucks and I would be surprised if the actual solution was spacers.

Thanks ...

I'll be triple checking things Monday for sure !

Thanks ...

I'll be triple checking things Monday for sure !

Your passenger side is low, right?

Your Driver's side is high, right?

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that you did indeed receive in spec ARB springs which are 10mm different in length.

IF, and it is just an IF until you check it, since you stated you did not see any difference in length in the ARB springs, just think about what might happen if you accidentally installed the 10mm shorter spring on the Passenger side (supposed to go on the Driver's side) and the 10mm longer spring on the Driver's side (supposed to go on the Passenger side).

The result would be a passenger side that is 10mm lower than it is supposed to be and the driver's side would be 10mm higher than it is supposed to be. Or, the driver's side would be 20mm higher than the passenger side (or, the passenger side would be 20mm lower than the driver's side).

To me, just IMHO, 20mm is almost an inch and you observed approximately 1.25 inches difference, right? I think the springs are most probably installed on the wrong sides. Switch them and check again. If still not level (or within the magically missing 0.25 inches) put your rig on a level surface, check that all tires are at exactly the same psi, open both KDSS valves 3 turns and let the rig settle for awhile.

My guess is your problem will go away.

Just my $0.02.

HTH

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that you did indeed receive in spec ARB springs which are 10mm different in length.

IF, and it is just an IF until you check it, since you stated you did not see any difference in length in the ARB springs, just think about what might happen if you accidentally installed the 10mm shorter spring on the Passenger side (supposed to go on the Driver's side) and the 10mm longer spring on the Driver's side (supposed to go on the Passenger side).

The result would be a passenger side that is 10mm lower than it is supposed to be and the driver's side would be 10mm higher than it is supposed to be. Or, the driver's side would be 20mm higher than the passenger side (or, the passenger side would be 20mm lower than the driver's side).

To me, just IMHO, 20mm is almost an inch and you observed approximately 1.25 inches difference, right? I think the springs are most probably installed on the wrong sides. Switch them and check again. If still not level (or within the magically missing 0.25 inches) put your rig on a level surface, check that all tires are at exactly the same psi, open both KDSS valves 3 turns and let the rig settle for awhile.

Just my $0.02.

HTH

I follow you ... but I do not think so and this is why.

If the springs were installed backwards.. it would be first the 1.25" Toyota difference plus 10 mm which would be about 1.75" lean ADD the 10mm diff.

It would "loose" the OEM difference 1.25" plus the 10 mm difference. So about 1.75" lean.

I did talk with ARB and the ARB springs are built 10 mm difference. They are aware of the issue. I'm not the first one like this, common issue.

Just my $0.02.

HTH

Add to this that 1/4-1/2 inch difference is very normal anyway...and you could definitely get there being 20mm off of the tendency not to match happened to add to the reversal.

What I’m still confused by, though, is the response from ARB. Never heard of anyone refer to such a big change...especially weird in a truck that is only changed voila interior, transmission, and cosmetics.

What changed on 16+ rigs as compared to earlier, to need spacers for a given spring?

Also OP, it isn’t as simple as spring neutral length. Wire diameter, coil number, coil diameter, and probably some stuff I’m not thinking of all impact how much a spring will compress with a given load on it. Plus, don’t forget about the front axle. It can have a big impact on side to side attitude of the truck.

I’m bored so I’ll dig around in the parts programs to see whether the axle housing is different. I seriously doubt toyota changed the upper spring perches compared to earlier trucks, so other than a huge amount of weight being in a different spot, the perch on the axle must be very different for 16+ rigs to need 20mm of spacer to match install on an earlier truck.

Thanks ...

I'll take it apart this weekend and see what is going on.

There's any easy fix for this - send the ARB springs back and get ToughDog. Problem solved. :D

They both source springs from King Springworks. Dobinson makes their own and Trail Tailor has some too.

They may source from the same place, but they aren't the same.

Not to :deadhorse:, but I would be surprised if there were mechanical / physical differences related to suspension on 2016+ models. I’ll check the FSM for part number differences to see if that may be the case.
Ran the part numbers for a 2008, a 2013, and a 2016 and the OEM Toyota spring parts are the same.
4813160D40 SPRING, FRONT COIL, RH
4813160D21 SPRING, FRONT COIL, LH

Ran the part numbers for a 2008, a 2013, and a 2016 and the OEM Toyota spring parts are the same.

I thought we were talking about the REAR springs o_O

The Part #'s I found (Toyota Rear Suspension Parts):

2016 Spring, Coil, Rear Left 4823160B11
2016 Spring, Coil Rear Right 4823160A20

2013 Spring, Coil, Rear Left 4823160E21
2013 Spring, Coil Rear Right 4823160F31

2008 Spring, Coil, Rear Left 4823160E21
2008 Spring, Coil Rear Right 4823160F31

2008LC and 2013LC share the same springs, but 2016 definitely has different springs for left and right.

HTH

The Part #'s I found (Toyota Rear Suspension Parts):

2016 Spring, Coil, Rear Left 4823160B11
2016 Spring, Coil Rear Right 4823160A20

2013 Spring, Coil, Rear Left 4823160E21
2013 Spring, Coil Rear Right 4823160F31

2008 Spring, Coil, Rear Left 4823160E21
2008 Spring, Coil Rear Right 4823160F31

2008LC and 2013LC share the same springs, but 2016 definitely has different springs for left and right.

HTH
Interesting. I used PartSouq. I clearly defer to Gaijin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom