April ROTM Official - April 25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ah man, i wish i went on this run and wasnt lazy, the scenery and the weather looks awesome (im a fan of storms and clouds, etc)

Thank you to everyone who made the run yesterday, I had a lot of fun and the weather really made the trip a lot more enjoyable than the pre-run. I'm a huge fan of overcast days and th weather didn't disappoint. The complete lack of dust is something I could get used to. :) Thank you for all the great pictures and that time lapse video is very cool! I'll post up my pics tomorrow.

04262014 361.JPG
04262014 375.JPG
04262014 358.JPG

great pictures - did you get heavy rain late Saturday and into the night while camping?

Here's my quick trip report; 11 trucks (Tacoma, Forerunner, and a bunch of 80's), 170mi total drive time, about 50/50 between freeway to get there and back and dirt. The rain made for a really great day with just enough wet to keep the dust down, but not so much as to make mud. Brought Millie The Adventure Dog along on this trip, and she had some company at each of the stops. Some spirited driving from Old Fain Rd. to Mingus Mt, and once we got on the trail, it quickly closed in with trees and light rain throughout the run;
25s8sqq.jpg

We had a few stops along the way to get out and look around, and knowing this would be a fairly short run (not an all day), we never felt rushed or the need to push to make the end. Great trail pick by Dissent and family. About 75% of the way through the run, a hill climb came available and most of us went up to have a look around. Here's the group on the main road with one 80 headed to the obstacle - only about 4 trucks would fit and maneuver at the top, but definitely fun to drive:
soonr8.jpg

Here's the view of the hill climb, and as usual - pictures never convey the same experience as when you're looking over your hood at nothing but sky;
2hx0sns.jpg

Some more close tree canopy and a few rocky sections to get out (*which may not have been 100% stocker friendly...) and nobody had any issues for the day. I was monitoring CB(25), HAM (145.50?), and FRS - and our trail organizer was nice enough to point out side roads he'd checked out, some water plumbing that jutted out of the mountain complete with hose bib, and also the risk of mosquitos breeding in standing water along the way. A great tour, but not a lot of radio chatter on this run unless I accidently locked out the HAM frequency everyone was conversing on.

A play ground off to the South side of the road closer in to Cottonwood showed us a make-shift desert shooting range (fairly clean) along with plenty of hills for climbing, albeit somewhat unsuccessfully for some as the rain really kicked up a notch while we were there, making the softer dirt pretty squishy. Following that road out takes you right to the Cottonwood airport which has grown considerably since I used to fly in there on student cross-country trips. Here's Adventure Dog sticking her tongue out at the camera shot;
20tf11f.jpg

It was cool to see where that road went up to Mingus Mtn from Cottonwood airport. I used to fly there quite a bit as it's just outside the 30nm range which allows students to log cross-country flying time from PHX airports. There's never been a restaurant or services here back then, but looks like they have a fuel truck and an FBO. Still uncontrolled, and I'd always wondered where the road went up into the mountains. Now I know!

Thanks to everyone for making this a fun experience and a great day out in what may be one of the last cool weekends in Phoenix for awhile. Hope to see you guys on the trail again,

Nice trail with big views.

Water spigot on the trail:meh:

IMG_1877.JPG

Fun to had on the play hills
IMG_1878.JPG

The 1st trail after ROTM FR136 is one of the best family/beginner trails around IMO and just off I-17 (more on this trail later)

IMG_1785.JPG

The 2nd trail after the official ROTM proved to be .....interesting to say the least. Only to find out at 6:45PM with dark clouds above it was a motorcycle trail:eek: that seemed to dead end.

IMG_1888.JPG

Located a camp spot in the dark and the fire fairy worked his magic. Although the rain forced use to relocate under my ARB/LCP awning (that leaked:(). Along with a late night coal relocation project we were able to stay dry and warm. Rain all night :bang:

IMG_1905.JPG

Another great turn out for ROTM:clap:

Last edited:
It was a good turn out and fun wheeling with some people for the first time!
Great choice for a run on an overcast day. Many of us have never been on that trail so it was something new.

The wildflowers were in abundance ~ it made for a very scenic ride!

0425150954.jpg
0425151629.jpg
0425151124.jpg
0425151212.jpg

Here's some pics my wife grabbed during the run.

upload_2015-4-27_12-41-16.jpeg

upload_2015-4-27_12-41-55.jpeg

upload_2015-4-27_12-42-20.jpeg

upload_2015-4-27_12-42-47.jpeg

upload_2015-4-27_12-43-16.jpeg

As predicted, we missed a good time running with the group.Our new plan came together and we arrived at the trailhead sunday morning. Rained on and off all the way up to cottonwood. Sun came out and aired down to 15 at beginning of trail. The truck was happy to be off pavement with the new shoes. Side note to murf - on the highway, caster was king:). I'm not going to waste time telling how beautiful the trail was, I'm just going to say what a difference a day makes.Trail got pretty muddy towards the end. You know that not too deep but super slippery bullsnotty variety, which touching the brakes or trying to steer will surely put you in the ditch. Just put your tires in the ruts and aim straight. Fun for the driver, not so much for the :princess:. There was some snow on the west side of Mingus, nice surprise. Got to 89A and aired up with the puma, now hard wired:clap:.While airing up encountered small hail shower. Rain, sun, snow and hail and great scenery. Home safe with the only casualty being our little pooch got car sick. He recovered as fast as he...:eek:, nuff said. Picked up a hitch hiker (big mistake). Now we can't get rid of him.
20150426_113241.jpg
20150426_115225.jpg
View attachment 1068355 View attachment 1068355 View attachment 1068355
20150427_125310.jpg

Boy, glad to hear we missed the hail and snow. We had originally planned to camp on the West side of the mountain. Glad you had a great trip. You'll need to pull that Puma out and stick your 3rd row back in for your hitchhiker. :)

We scooted out while some were airing up, and others were playing on the big hills. We rolled through Camp Verde, and hung a left on FR 618 towards the Bullpen. My plan was to scope another alternate route up to the top of the rim from the Verde Valley. The mission was a success! Off of FR 618, we turned right onto 214 and began the very reasonable climb out of the VV. The road eventually dissolved to a very rocky double track, after twin buttes tank, and we eventually made our way out to Apache Maid Mtn with intentions to climb the fire tower.

This was about the time that the heavens unleashed and we boogied towards pavement at the safest possible speed. It got really slick and I longed for mud terrains instead of my AT's. But, we eventually made it out to Lake Mary Rd and aired up in a heavy rain after about 40 mi of dirt road since we pulled off of hwy 260. 40 miles of pavement to home was a pleasant treat after about 60 on dirt Saturday.

Pics below are of New Tank along our route (big enough to be a lake by AZ standards!)
image.jpg
image.jpg

I was in that area a few years back on a javelin hunt. Nice excess to West Clear Creek shortly after leaving 260. There was also a area further up that was a Christmas Tree cutting area many years ago. Never been past that from the lower end. This might make a good July or Aug run after the monsoons starts and fire restrictions would be lifted. Morning start off 260 and get up the rim before it gets too hot. Camp on top and explore along FS road 300 the next day. Nothing overly challenging but much cooler than the valley.:hmm::meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom