Anyone running 235/85 16 BFG M/T's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi trying to decide on whether running the stock 16 x 5.5 split rims with a 235/85 M/T or having them widened to run a 255/85 tyre. Pictures please!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this will help you...235/85 R 16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac installed on a stock 70 series rim (16 X 5.5 inch). These tires are pretty much exactly the same as the BFG's as far as the dimensions and sidewall, only difference is the tread (we run a few of the BFG M/T's, but the treads tend to chunk out pretty bad on the gravel/rock roads here). I really like this tire size and style, and will be using this exact tire on my 40 series, mounted on a 16x7 alloy rim with a 2.5" OME lift. No pictures of that, unfortunately not built yet.

Tire_1.jpg

Tire_2.jpg

Tire_3.jpg
Tire_1.jpg
Tire_2.jpg
Tire_3.jpg

Unfortunately in Australia the tyre fitters will not fit them, however possibly i'll just fit them myself, do you have any photos of your tyres and rims?

thanks Johnny C. looks like a great fit, think i'll order them tomorrow

235 85 16's on BFG Mud KM2's. In case anyone is searching for this in the future....
IMG-20111007-00196.jpg

235/85 R16 on a BJ40 with original springs and no lift:

Tyre.jpg

Cruiser3.jpg

And I had to bend my pitman arm slightly inwards (towards the chassis) to stop my RH-front tyre from hitting my drag-link (relay rod) on full-RH-lock on uneven ground. (This a RH-drive vehicle but I'd expect a similar problem on the other side for a LH-drive vehicle that has no lift.)

:beer:
Tyre.jpg
Cruiser3.jpg

Your rig looks good. Is it lifted?

2 1/2" OME lift. I put that kit in to replace my sagging stock springs. Funny you should ask; when I had my stock 29's on there, the lift was pretty obvious! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately in Australia the tyre fitters will not fit them, however possibly i'll just fit them myself, do you have any photos of your tyres and rims?

I have two sets of tires and wheels for my lwb 45, one with the 235s, and one with the 255s. Both use a 7" wide aftermarket wheel, and I have no complaints about the look or the function of either.

Best

Mark A.

AJAEbj42 said:
235 85 16's on BFG Mud KM2's. In case anyone is searching for this in the future....

That is good to know. That was my next update after the new suspension. Love the KM2s.

That is good to know. That was my next update after the new suspension. Love the KM2s.

My photos in this thread are of my old all-terrains.

But my present tyres are actually KM2s. (I must take some photos of them next time I'm somewhere photogenic ... provided they're not too muddy of course :lol:.)

Another advantage (besides looks) is that (without power-steering) KM2s make the steering considerably lighter than when running all-terrains.

By the way, another reason for me choosing mud-terrains was that all-terrains wear too slowly ... meaning .... they suffer perishing-damage well before they're worn out.

And KM2s are just as quiet on the tarmac as all-terrains.

:cheers:

PS. The biggest reason for choosing KM2 mud-terrains (over all-terrains) is mud-traction of course.

Do these ATs 235 85 R16 come out of the rear fenders or are they nicely inside the fenders. Talking about a stock 40/42.

Im also willing to buy these but im afraid they will rub my rear fenders.

Thanks!

Not a scenic location (just my driveway) but here's a photo of BFG KM2 235/85 R16 mud-terrains taken from the rear:

TyreRearKM2.jpg

As you can see, there are no clearance issues at the back with stock springs and stock split-rims.

TyreRearKM2.jpg

Not a scenic location (just my driveway) but here's a photo of BFG KM2 235/85 R16 mud-terrains taken from the rear:

View attachment 567681

As you can see, there are no clearance issues at the back with stock springs and stock split-rims.

I found a place to fit tires on the factory split rims locally. So just to be clear, the 235/85 R16 will fit on the factory 7.5" x 16" splits?

I found a place to fit tires on the factory split rims locally. So just to be clear, the 235/85 R16 will fit on the factory 7.5" x 16" splits?

Well my stock/factory splitrims are even narrower than that being 5 1/2" wide between tyre-bead outside edges. And they fit fine without any on-road handling issues (bearing in mind that a short-wheelbase 40-series always behaves skittishly if your silly enough to go into a corner too fast).

As I recall, 5 1/2 inches is below the minimum-width recommended by BFG though.

But look at my photo ..... IMO it shows that the tyre is clearly not bulging out far enough beyond the rim to become unstable when cornering.

And besides, 235/85 R16 is the closest-dimensioned metric-equivalent radial tyre to the 7.50 x 16 crossply tyres that were commonplace on these vehicles prior to the introduction of the slower-wearing radial tyres.

BTW - Are you sure your splits are 7.5 inches wide and not 5.5?

PS. There is some argument in some quarters about whether tubeless tyres like these should ever be run with tubesl... for fear that the ribbing-pattern on the inner-wall will scuff the tubes. But I'm happy to run them.
Just make sure there's nothing abrasive/sharp like cracks (or even stickers) there that will come into contact with your tubes. And be warned .... I've been sold a brand-new BFG tyre with a puncture-causing crack in the inner surface of the sidewall that was not apparent when viewed from the outside!

And I fit my tyres myself so during fitment I'm always on the lookout for things that could cause punctures. (Rust flakes/shards in contact with the tubes are an obvious one to look for.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom