Anyone knows a good Mechanic in the west suburbs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They put a crappy yellow coolant (it had yellow before anyway).
I'll replace it on the summer with a good one.

If you have a rear heater core, they can be difficult to get trapped air out of. The reason I mentioned a head gasket after the work is because of running it low on coolant with the leak. But the motors are pretty resilient to overheating.

It never ran low on coolant, for some reason i had a bad feeling about it and checked as soon as i got home, it never got to the min mark on the reservoir and the radiator was always full.
I'm very paranoid with mechanics. I really don't know if i have a rear heater, it does have vents and a separate controller in the back.

BTW, thanks to everyone for chiming in.

If the 100 series rear core is similar to the 80's, it can take a bit to get all of the air out. If you were burning that much through a bad HG over 5 miles, I bet you would smell it in the exhaust.

My bet is on air in the system.

I love the Toyota red.

I have at least 1 glass a day!

Fyi carquest sells toyota red for like half what the dealer does.

So i never burped the tacomas system post radiator change/it leaking all out of the block for 6months while i built a frame/axle swap between spanking it sessions, did i miss a step or something? Does it not self burp via the overflow tank?

I drove it really far and long in july with ac cranked and it didnt overheat, assume im good?

Honestly, this thread is a perfect example of why we work on our own stuff.

UPDATE...
Got the TB replaced at Midas for $595.
Took it home and was leaking coolant all over.
Took it back to the shop, the clamp on the lower radiator hose was loose, can't believe they didn't see it, it was pouring coolant.
Now i don't see any other leaks, nor the characteristic odor of coolant, however the level in the reservoir goes down about 3/4 of an inch every day.

Any thoughts? I'm about to embark on a 900 miles road trip to dallas this weekend.

PS: won't put a foot on that Midas anymore.

The experience you had at the mechanic is not unique. They are not rocket scientists, they are just trying to do the best they can while working on increasingly complex and backward vehicles... And they have to work on the biggest POS's. And all they get in return is sh!t from customers who lack the ability to perform these simple tasks, yet excel at sh!tting on the people who do the work.

You wanted a $595 TB job... You got it. Yes, I have paid $600 for a TB job before... at the dealer (the only job I hate enough to pay someone to do), but I feel comfortable to deal with a loose hose clamp.

Did you have them replace the WP while they where already in there?

To be honest, you say "how could they miss a loose rad hose connection, it was a huge leak..." There was likely no leak in the shop because the air in the system only allowed low pressure to build in the coolant. As the system bled, it pressurized and found the leak. Has happened to me a million times....

The decreasing coolant level is also not likely cause for concern. The system is still bleeding.

So the only mistake made was likely a loose hose clamp. For that they get publicly berated and sworn off. You spent more on the 100 series than you would have on a Durango.... Why does the "get what you pay for" logic stop at the purchase of the vehicle?

The radiator is full all the way up to the neck.
I don;t like the idea of using the stop leak either, but i guess that being stranded in the middle of Oklahoma with the wife yelling at me is any more pleasant.

Your wife would yell at you if your car broke down.... Sounds like you may be a serial bad decision maker....

It appears that this thread was actually helpful for this young man with out going too far off in left field and at the same time only occasionally being mildly insulting.
I think (but not positive) I am proud to call you friends!

hi all
i know you all gonna laugh at me and make jokes about it, but after all that, I'll still need a good mechanic, hopefully in the Naperville area.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, this thread is a perfect example of why we work on our own stuff.

Your wife would yell at you if your car broke down.... Sounds like you may be a serial bad decision maker....

All three pages can be summed up quite neatly right there.

again, thanks everyone for the advice and occasional insults.
upon my return from my trip i'll let you know if more coolant was needed or not.

I drove 1800 miles to Dallas and back. I didn't need to add one single drop of coolant.
So my paranoia will slowly disappear (on this topic only)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom