Anyone blown a cylinder or 2 on your 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What does the shop think it is? Head gasket? Broken valve springs? You can replace those, but you'd still have a 200k+ mileage motor of unknown reliability.

To deduce they'll likely need to do a leak down test and a borescope.

Maybe Murf will chime in. I don't think there is a conclusive thought about what they think the real problem is but rather it "could be" a number of possibilties including those mentioned or piston rings or ... several other possibilities. The 5&6 simulataneously going bad (even on low oil) is a bit of a head scratcher.

Their thought is chasing the problem down (even when found) has a low probability of finding and implementing a cost effective solution. Rather their thought is it's better to put all money into a known solution (replacement motor) rather than chasing this or that and finding out the cylinders are scored and needs a new block alone for $4500, or some other tear down and replace parts method that could go any number or ways and not necessarily end up with a good "sum of the parts" cost effectively. I am going off a bad memory from conversations but hopefully I am getting most of the gist of summary right.

I'll ask shop tomorrow, but just curious anybody know what a ballpark dealer cost is on a leak down test? Never had one done.

Not sure what I will do yet with the truck. As a side, what is a clean 2008 Land Cruiser with 225K and this motor condition worth?

Not sure what I will do yet with the truck. As a side, what is a clean 2008 Land Cruiser with 225K and this motor condition worth?

Average market, if it was running, would be $17k-$19k. Subtract the estimate repair price, minus an arbitrary price just for the fact that it's a not running vehicle. I'd start there.

Like I said, let me know. If the price is right, I'll drive down and get it. I could use a camping rig while the Troopy gets built.

Maybe Murf will

$10-12k.

Junkyard Tundra engine donor is my vote.

She's an unusually clean 2008 so I don't want to go lowball her off because of some freak motor mishap. Still a head scratcher how she went down and I'm not going to speculate about what caused it for a bit.

Wife will have to drive my 80 for a bit, oh the torture. Beautiful Spring in AZ, have a great day everyone!

Turns out #5 had a broken valve spring. On testing several other valves leaking pressure as well. I searched and found several threads about occurrences of broken valve springs on 5.7 on tundratalk forum, but not too many here. You guys seen many/any broken valve springs?

There are probably dozens of tundra for every 200 on the road.. no wonder you’d see more about this from that platform.

On the research you’ve done, any word on oil level contributing? Sounds like a stretch to say low oil would break a valve spring. But multiples of them being weak.. not good.

That's allot better than replacing the engine.

Maybe.. if that valve hit the piston he still may need one.

Sounds like the engine may have lived an extended period bouncing against the rev limiter...

Sounds like the engine may have lived an extended period bouncing against the rev limiter...

How do you conclude that?

There are probably dozens of tundra for every 200 on the road.. no wonder you’d see more about this from that platform.

On the research you’ve done, any word on oil level contributing? Sounds like a stretch to say low oil would break a valve spring. But multiples of them being weak.. not good.

Maybe.. if that valve hit the piston he still may need one.

Appears to be no collateral damage. Nobody I've talk to thinks the low oil contributed to it, but nobody can definitely rule it out either :)

How do you conclude that?

In my experience with other engines, overrevving the engine can easily result in broken valve springs - just the way it works. The rev limiter in our 5.7 engines goes a long way to alleviate the damage, but can't eliminate it when an engine is stressed above design rev limits. I'm not saying you did this, but you did buy it used, right?

HTH

In my experience with other engines, overrevving the engine can easily result in broken valve springs - just the way it works. The rev limiter in our 5.7 engines goes a long way to alleviate the damage, but can't eliminate it when an engine is stressed above design rev limits. I'm not saying you did this, but you did buy it used, right?

HTH

Thanks. Yes, bought used. Thus far 40K trouble free miles...well until a week ago :( I didn't get the sense the prior owner ragged it. Actually seemed really well taken care of but who knows how he drove it. Perhaps just mechanical failure.

But where did the oil go?

If you do end up replacing the motor, make sure it doesn't have the cam tower leak.

Where'd you get that grill?

Turns out #5 had a broken valve spring. On testing several other valves leaking pressure as well. I searched and found several threads about occurrences of broken valve springs on 5.7 on tundratalk forum, but not too many here. You guys seen many/any broken valve springs?
I couldn't find any reference to broken valve springs on the 200 forum. Some of the parts gurus on here may know of some? I'm guessing there was some sort of abuse in its history.

I can't believe it was running well with several valves leaking pressure (at least until a spring broke). Once you get the valve (heads?) done, watch out; you'll have a bunch more HP!

And, replace the starter and radiator while they are in there.

Roughly 10 years back, Lexus recalled a largish number of LS460 autos.... for, VALVE SPRINGS! Different part number for the springs, but same V8 Series. Recent Toyota engines have moved to beehive style springs and tiny retainers... hot rod parts are now on everyday engines to increase efficiency and improve durability.

Roughly 10 years back, Lexus recalled a largish number of LS460 autos.... for, VALVE SPRINGS! Different part number for the springs, but same V8 Series. Recent Toyota engines have moved to beehive style springs and tiny retainers... hot rod parts are now on everyday engines to increase efficiency and improve durability.

Very interesting.

I am happy to report the 200 is back on the road and running better than ever.

Thankfully I didn't have to scrap her or sell her in her broken stage for peanuts and glad I didn't go for full engine replacement ;) She had a broken valve spring and and several other valves not holding proper seal. A complete valve job later (I replaced all the springs too, just because) and she's running good as ever. Got a new radiator as well as somehow the existing got a puncture wound during her surgery.

Glad you are back on the road and the repair wasn’t too bad. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom