Anybody use M105 trailers? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coastal-aquariums.com
After the Surf N Turf cruiser event last weekend, I have been thinking about building a trailer up for camping use. I found a M105 that looks decent, but they seem to be a bit wider and longer that something like M100. Anybody out there using a 105 for off road use? Should I pass and look for something else? I was going to buy it Monday. I would be towing with an FZJ80 or a chevy 1/2 ton. I am thinking it is too heavy and big? Price is right, but maybe I should be patient...

Last edited:
hmm. So I am going to look at it tomorrow. If its a 101 I will probably get it. 105, probably not.

Thanks

The minimum vehicle for pulling an M105 should be an F350 pickup. They're just too big and heavy for anything smaller.

A friend has one with a plastic 400 gallon water tank and a gasoline powered pump for fire standby when they're doing work in the woods. He has hauled it empty behind a 1-ton RAM, but it's easier to tow behind his dump truck.

The M101 (US) is easier to tow, but it is still on the large size for jeep size vehicles. Full size pickups, even the F150 size, do OK with it.

went and checked it out. He wanted $200 but it was way rusted out. It was a 104? WTF is that?

You guys kill me. I have both a M105A2 and a M416 (small). I pull the M105A2 out of my pasture with my FJ40, fully loaded with firewood. I wouldn't take it out on the highway unless it was behind my Dodge Ram, though. The M416 is a small trailer and is perfect behind an FJ40, but not wide enough for my bigger ATVs to fit inside. Either will hold more weight than you probably want.

I'm going to build racks for my Dodge and M105 for fetching firewood. Calculations show 6' deep in my Dodge and 5' deep in the M105 = 4 cords total. There's places I can get that much wood in a day, but it's a long drive, so I'm planning for an overnighter. :D

To the OP, I believe the M105 would be fine behind either of your tow rigs if it was lightly loaded (i.e. just camping gear), however the issue you'll have right off the bat is the height of the lunette and actual height of the trailer with the stock tires on it. I'd pass and wait for a M416 or M101 to show up.

went and checked it out. He wanted $200 but it was way rusted out. It was a 104? WTF is that?

The M105 has a tailgate in the rear only. The M104 has a tailgate at the front of the bed as well. Otherwise they're basically the same trailer.

You guys kill me. I have both a M105A2 and a M416 (small). I pull the M105A2 out of my pasture with my FJ40, fully loaded with firewood. I wouldn't take it out on the highway unless it was behind my Dodge Ram, though. The M416 is a small trailer and is perfect behind an FJ40, but not wide enough for my bigger ATVs to fit inside. Either will hold more weight than you probably want.

I'm going to build racks for my Dodge and M105 for fetching firewood. Calculations show 6' deep in my Dodge and 5' deep in the M105 = 4 cords total. There's places I can get that much wood in a day, but it's a long drive, so I'm planning for an overnighter. :D

To the OP, I believe the M105 would be fine behind either of your tow rigs if it was lightly loaded (i.e. just camping gear), however the issue you'll have right off the bat is the height of the lunette and actual height of the trailer with the stock tires on it. I'd pass and wait for a M416 or M101 to show up.

Weights of these trailers:

M104 = 2,400 lbs empty, 7,900 lbs gross

M104A1 = 2,730 lbs empty, 7,230 lbs gross

M105A1 = 2,650 lbs empty, 7,150 lbs gross

M101 = 1,340 lbs empty, 3, 590 lbs gross

The M104 can be loaded up to just shy of 4 tons, and it weighs almost 1-1/4 tons empty. It's sheer size makes it a poor choice for most trail rigs, unless you consider a Duece and a half to be a trail rig.

The M101 (US) weighs just under 3/4 ton empty, and can maxes out at 1-3/4 tons or so. This is more than ample for most people needing a trailer. Indeed, the M101 can carry a half ton of cargo before it weighs the same as an M104 trailer.

The M105 is simply too large and impractical for most people, especially those without large pickups. That's why these trailers are typically half or even a quarter of the price of an M101. They just aren't in demand.

Oh, and another thing. Some states have a weight cutoff point for title and registration. In Oregon, if you keep the gross weight under 1800 lbs, you don't need to title or register the trailer. While this only gives the M101 a quarter ton payload, people can fudge this and get away with it. Happens all the time. The M105 on the other hand exceeds this weigh limit empty, and is large enough to attract the attention of the cops.

i've been reading the many trailer threads and would prefer a M101 3/4 ton for light offroad and tent trailer camping, but good luck finding one.

for everyone that said the 105 is too heavy for a landcruiser, can you think of any reasonable mods to a 200 series that would change your mind?

thanks for you input.

Going to revive this thread because I just purchased a very clean an M105 for $400. I towed it 100 miles back home behind my Land Rover Discovery on 35s and honestly had no trouble with it. I don't plan on loading it down with more than 1,000lbs ever, but my old 200hp V8 handled the empty trailer easy. Even braking with it was fine.

Even braking with it was fine

Honestly, you didn't have any problems stopping it empty and no panic stops, but with a payload and no brakes ( they are air assisted on the trailer ) I believe you might have some problems from being pushed. The M105 was made for a deuce and a half truck with the air assisted brakes, I have both and the trailer works great behind the deuce. Are you planning on losing the extra weight and adding electric brakes?

Here's two of mine and that's my old one ton truck. 105s are huge and then there's the spare tire problem, more weight. I can't pick up a wheel and tire for a 105 and those old military tires are old, cracked and not safe at speed. I'd hate to see a Land Cruiser try to control a 105 with a blow out. Watch out for that front landing leg, it will smash fingers real quick. That said, they are neat trailers. Good luck with it.

IMG_0839.JPG

I might try to drop as much weight as I can. Remove the air brake components, the landing gear (and replace with a 5000lb rated bulldog jack), the rear support rod, the tailgate. Also I'll get new wheels and tires for it, 35s or 37s. I found some wheels on ebay that claim to fit it. With all of this I hope to get it under 2500lbs.As far as the brakes I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to spend too much extra money on it....

Honestly I might try to pick up a M1101 trailer and try to swap the beds... Tell me if either of these plans are foolish

I don't want to spend too much extra money on it....

There's the rub, to get the trailer down in weight and size, you'll spend quite a lot. The 1101/1102s are nice and light, but wide and expensive. If you want a military trailer to use and not spend too much, I'd buy a M101A2 or A3. I've got five of them and think they're great. My Son pulls one set up for camping with his Xterra and loves it, pulls easy.

Foolish, not at all, you bought a good trailer, but not so good for the average guy to use. In my opinion, I'll sell it and look for a M101. You'll be money a head and happier in the end.

Just chiming in here. I shied away from most of the 3/4 Military trailers mentioned above. I found a Bantam T3-C. the civilian model of the WW2 Jeep trailer. Weighs just shy of 500 lbs. and can carry about a 1,000 lbs payload. Light enough for my FJ60 to drag around the woods and ready to be modified into the new family camping trailer. Roof top tent is going on the 60, so I’ve got 1,000 lbs to play with as I outfit the T3C.

IMG_5902_zpspsinftpf.jpg

There are always M101 CDN trailers for sale on kijiji. Basically the perfect camping/offroad trailer for someone who just wants to buy something military.

Nice trailer, but they are way over inflated in price. That size trailer was designed for a WWII Jeep and the M101 was for a 3/4 ton truck, so you have to pick over or under the Landcruiser's capability. For the money, I'd go with the M101 and not over load it. If you look, the M101 can be bought for $300 at auction. They are all good trailers, just depends what you want to spend to make it work for you.

what are some good auction places to buy an M1101 or an M101 type trailer? Im on IronPlanet, I missed a few good ones because they went over $600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom