1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody familiar with Vizslas?

Discussion in 'Furred - Finned - Feathered' started by fjdemon, Oct 12, 2017.

1. fjdemon

fjdemon SILVER Star

Looking at getting a pet in the near future and am considering this breed.

I want a dog that is medium sized, athletic, and doesn't shed a lot.

Apparently Vizslas don't really shed and never have odor.

Just curious what current owners think and to get some first hand knowledge.

Thanks -

2. doug720

doug720

Albums:
    We have had a Vizsla for 13 years and he is a great hound!

The good and bad...

Bad:
    As they age, the get lumps, most benign cysts and kind of wart like growths. Not terrible, but our vet said common.
    They have light nose, eye and belly meat, that is sensitive to the sun. Marco loves to sun tan and his nose and eye surrounds have turned dark. He also had pre-cancerous growths removed from his belly.
    Our's has gone deaf from ear problems, but he is a great watcher and he goes camping with us all the time.

In between:
    All dogs can stink
    They still shed, but not too much and it's a short course hair that is easy to clean. After a bath he sheds and they loose a thicker coat in the spring.

Great:
    A good all around dog.
    Loves kids and people, but still has some protector in him
    Easy to train
    Athletic and loves to run, romp and play. Especially camping!
    Good with other dogs
    They have a regal look to them.

Great dog I would recommend.

First 2 pictures age 8, last one age 12. A little gray and bit slower, but still loves to camp!

DSC03997.JPG DSC04026.JPG

P1120620.JPG

splitshot, 4mydogs and fjdemon like this.
  3. abuck99

abuck99

Awesome dogs, I miss mine dearly. They are not for everyone: high energy, need space to run, need attention.

Very sensitive animals and tuned into being a member of your "pack". It's the type of dog that becomes a family member, its not garage dog or a live out doors dog. They are super smart- but training ( you) is key.

It's a "working" dog, they are very high energy and need run, swim etc: need a lot of excercise every day-or they will tend to find things to do or chew. If you get as a pup, expect the high energy behavior for 3-4 years- then they start to chill out .

Breeders can be pretty picky who they offer their Vizslas to. Do your homework and understand the breed ahead of time so you know what you're getting into. They are wonderful dogs, but require a serious comittment.

splitshot and fjdemon like this.
  4. fjdemon

fjdemon SILVER Star

Super good information! @doug720 Great looking dog. Thank you both very much for the advice. You both confirmed exactly what I read while doing my research. I like that they are dogs that want to be part of the family. I read they are nicknamed the "velcro" dogs because they always want to be near people and attached to your hip; I personally like that quality. I want a dog that will be with you and not just napping in the corner 24/7.

My only concern is that I am in the city and have a smaller sized house with a small yard. My neighborhood however is super dog friendly and every evening people are out walking dogs. There is also a park about 500 meters away from my front yard. We are pretty active and if I had a dog I think I'd be more inclined to do trips just to get the dog out.

I've been looking for rescue dogs, but have not seen any Vizslas. I think getting one 3-4 years old would help out a dog in need an allow us to get one a little more mature versus a puppy. I know a puppy is a ton of work, which is okay because we will create a bond with it knowing it it's whole life. I guess either way is good. This is the one I am looking at now.

5. abuck99

abuck99

Rescue Vizslas are pretty rare. We looked for over a year unsuccessfully. Typical practice with Vizsla breeders is that they are obliged to accept them back should at anytime you not be able to care for the dog, and they get placed quickly. Overall the breeder integrity with Vizslas is very high, this keeps the breed standard high as well.

fjdemon likes this.
  6. doug720

doug720

Albums:
    I forgot to add, Marco was a rescue. He was returned two times before we adopted him. Others said he would chase cats and was too hyper. We never had a problem with either situation.

My wife knows of a Viszla rescue here in SoCal, and I will get the contact.

Most of our dogs have been rescues and I think they can make some of the best dogs and companions...I think they know you!

Velcro is true, and they do love their people.

fjdemon likes this.
  7. fjdemon

fjdemon SILVER Star

[​IMG]

This is the little guy we are going to look at Sunday.

splitshot, 4mydogs and abuck99 like this.
  8. fjdemon

fjdemon SILVER Star

The father is 9 years old, around 50-55lbs and the mother is smaller sized (didn't catch her age). Neither have had any health issues to date.

splitshot likes this.
  9. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I grew up with them, all were wonderful. Doug and abuck's comments are spot on. They do make excellent bird dogs and love the gig with passion if you are into it...

fjdemon likes this.