Any 100 series pro's out there in the NW side, Got check engine I can't clear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I been trying to get my 2004 LC to work right. It runs but I keep getting a check engine and after changing all 4 sensors on a P0051 code. Any advice would be great. A FSM and a code reader would be awesome. I still trying to see which OBD 2 reader would be the best for me to purchase in the long run. Might just settle for a Harbor Freight brand. Thanks for looking!

Hey Archie, I think they have some readers that would be a cheaper alternative for you. The work off your phone and Bluetooth and are only about $20. I haven't used one but they are gaining in popularity. Might be worth a look. It should at least clear the codes.

I love my Bluetooth dongle and torque app. Saves me a ton by just running codes on the fly.

Cool thanks for steering me in the right direction. I have no experience in OBD 2. Still used to using the paperclip on OBD 1.

Joez, Does the mini-CD come with an adapter to player on my standard CD reader? What don't you like about it?

It goes in any tray style CD player, but honestly with the torque app, it is so simple to use I never needed it. Plug it in, download the app, sync, and you are in business.

There's really not much to that circuit. The EFI fuse and relay provides the power, and you would see other problems if that was bad, specifically, none of the o2 heaters would work.
The ground side is controlled by the PCM. Hopefully, that's not the problem. Wiring and connections is about all that's left.
P0051 is B2S1 heater control circuit low. You should have 12V at the relay, both fuses and both the power and ground side of the heater circuit at the O2 sensor and the HT1A pin (pin 33) on the PCM with the PCM disconnected.

upload_2017-5-24_8-36-8.gif

upload_2017-5-24_8-40-15.gif

Thanks for the informative post! I am ordering a code reader and I will see if it is the same code. I drove around in the truck after changing the sensors and it didn't come on after multiple stops of over 40 minutes. I hope it does not have anything to do with the PCM. Could be a grounding problem. Will check all connectors and keep you updated. Thanks!

Hmmmm, nothing but serious tech and informative posts.

Lemme see if I can fix that.

I love my dongle and torquing ass. Saves me from getting spunk on my fly.

I love to fondle your dongle as well.

Now if Hoff will chime in about dick beaters and gizz catchers, all will be right in the world.

Yes Tony this was very disappointing, I figured I would get a few laughs out of this post, but nothing but tech.

We have a reputation to uphold here people, let's try a little harder.

been busy with the holidays, so I got a P0430. Guess I need a new converter on bank 2 . Anybody have any luck on cleaning a converter and which aftermarket brand is best for the 100 series? RockAuto has one for about $166. Davico was the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Torque has some drawbacks. 0-60 runs can be addicting. 1/4 mile is a lot longer than you might think and repeated tries are generally frowned upon by the local constabulary.
LOL! just thinking of all the ways to use this cool App. This plug in OBD !! with Torque rocks!

Saw this post on another thread about a P0430 code and wondered if anybody had any similar experiences. Seems like a cat. converter still might not be the problem.

I was curious about your posts because I JUST bought a 2003 land cruiser with 190,000 miles in excellent condition and got it home this week (Feb 2017) and the first thing the check engine light came on ( P0420 & P0430 ) with the VSC TRAC & VSC OFF as well. Previous owner more than likely reset the codes and sold it to me without telling me.
However it has been well maintained otherwise at Oxmoor Toyota dealership in Louisville with a ton of service records all its life and is in incredibly good condition otherwise. So I am starting my journey on this. And I have read the entire thread along with several other related threads as well.
These codes seem incredibly hard to diagnose. I have absolutely a incredibly smooth Idle and no loss of power, no hesitation etc.
My cats have been replaced with aftermarket ones at some point. One of the last dealership service records from November 2016 (just 2 months ago at this writing) noted this aftermarket cat replacement in the service report along with the P0420 & P0430 codes.

So apparently this vehicle has been throwing these codes for a while and a previous owner replaced the cats and that did not prove to be the problem as many owners who went to the trouble and considerable expense to replace the CATS with no improvement have found out.

So I am going to look upstream at the PCV and spark plugs and good solid ground from the battery terminals, throttle body cleaning, vacuum hose leaks etc.

Please keep this thread alive and update as I will be monitoring this thread and I will do the same if I make any progress.

I have a snap on Solus which should be able to read oxygen sensor efficiency etc. and hopefully give me some further direction on what appears to be a very difficult problem to resolve.

After clearing the code. I drove around and didn't get any codes. I was getting .1 and .2 highlighted red circles on the ACCEL graph on Torque. What does the left side of the graph indicate?

This is a huge problem with many code. Some autozone guy reads the codes for free and diagnoses the problem from the code. You can't do that. There are many that are one common problem 90% of the time, but none that are 100% one problem every time. Computer diagnoses isn't magic. You have to run the manufacturers charts for the code and even then there's the one problem in a thousand that is something really weird.

Cat inefficiency codes can be a cat, the O2, or a lot of things causing a poor reading of the downstream gasses.

It's also a two trip logic code, so you need to meet very specific criteria twice to set the code. Torque may show it as a pending code after one trip.

Someone that has a very expensive snap on solus should be able to be able tell pretty quickly if the cat is working or not.

I private messaged the guy who put the post up having the Snap On Solus ( on post 16) . He told me today that he has not resolved his issue and did not change the cat converter, but codes are less often . I guess I have to start checking other engine components like PCV, plugs , etc before changing the converter. 2004 LC with 92k.

The p0051 that you have- It has nothing to do with your cat, pcv, or anything. It only pertains to the heater circuit within your A/f sensor and any circuit associated with it (wiring, pcm, fuse?)

Try these steps in the picture before throwing any parts at it. And if it isn't already, put an oem sensor on it. The only posted fixes are for the sensors themselves and there are plenty of them. One person mentions a production change and having to look it up by vin. Good Luck.
p0051.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom