Another water leak.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i sealed the windshield with the roof flashing sealant according to one thread on here i think it was firetruck? worked freaking amazing..no water pooling in either side of the windshield. now i have a bit of rust which i sealed over on driver side about 4inch up on the edge of the windshield. i am now having water come in all the way in the corner of the dash through the headliner/bottom corner the most impossible spot to reach. even in light/moderate rain it will come through the fabric hit the window defog vent then drip and hit the dash speaker landing in my little bucket :hillbilly:... just looking perhaps it is coming from the windshield wiper area the hood vents? just looking for some ideas before i go and pull the hood and the vents. If that's the best place to start how many :banana: job is this? the last resort is to have an interior shop pull the headliner as it is a 1993.

ran weedwhacker wire through the sunroof drains and ran water through them as well did not see a leak/not clogged

To see in the cowl area pull the cowl cover and not the engine bay hood, or bonnet.
Always wanted to use bonnet!

To pull the cowl cover

1 Open the hood and remove about 5 screws holding it on the forward edge. I use that little right angle screw driver thing. You know the one..

2. Then pull/slide the cover towards the front and out.

3 Then the cowl screens come out.

You can then see in there where the wiper linkage lives.

Last edited:
Another "cheap" check is the sunroof gaskets. I clean them well and use silicone grease (gummy phledge) on them to revitalize and keep pliable.

Get some 2" vinyl tape (easy/clean to remove) and seal up the sunroof then check whether the water still gets in when it is raining.

Even with clear sunroof drains if the gasket is bad too much water can get in for the flow to get funneled to the right spots to drain effectively.

Mine stays taped over permanently now, with the sunroof switch unhooked so I don't accidentally break the mechanism/motor.

I am having the EXACT same issue as OP in my 94. I tried weedeater string and pouring test. Slow pour drains okay, although I was surprised to see water drain to rear of car. Wondering if that is a modification. Should I be able to thread weedeater string all the way through the drain? Right now it gets stuck about 8 feet in from top and bottom.

When I pour a lot of water quickly the drain is overwhelmed and it drips through headliner just below driver side ceiling handle. The floorboard is soaked after big rain. Has anyone settled this issue by replacing the sunroof gasket?

What are my options?

Another "cheap" check is the sunroof gaskets. I clean them well and use silicone grease (gummy phledge) on them to revitalize and keep pliable.
Are you suggesting they can be reconditioned and not replaced? Tell me more please.

Ugggh, I cleaned out my sunroof drains 2 weeks a go since I was up there filling holes for the "factory" roof rack. It went pretty smoothly and water flowed through it just fine afterwards. Now I have a puddle on my ds floor. It's always something :mad:. Hopefully I actually get to drive my cruiser some day instead of constantly fixing it :(

i pulled the cowl and found the seal not properly sealed..it must have been replaced prior to my ownership..so far everything is holding well i used the recommended PL roof flashing from homedepot. its going to be rust most likely.. the sunroof cannot hold gallons of water there are only little drains and small gutters. i think the seal can be replaced and the sunroof is very easily removed

Nobody mentions unclogging the A pillar roof gutters, but that is what finally fixed my wet floor problems.

Ugggh, I cleaned out my sunroof drains 2 weeks a go since I was up there filling holes for the "factory" roof rack. It went pretty smoothly and water flowed through it just fine afterwards. Now I have a puddle on my ds floor. It's always something :mad:. Hopefully I actually get to drive my cruiser some day instead of constantly fixing it :(
Something was blocking the hole to the sunroof drain so I ran the line down it again. Whatever it was got instantly sucked into the drain. It's working like it should now until whatever that was gets lodged in there further down the line :(

Well my machine just made it through two very heavy rains with no leak. I guess the weedeater wire was all it took, but I did get the gummy stuff which will come in handy for the winter because it prevents the seal from freezing

Thebus, can you tell me the procedure you originally did to seal the windshield? I just fixed my sunroof drains to get into a heavy rain and actually watch the water drip inside the bottom corner of the windshield. Hoping for a fix that does not involve removing the windshield.

Any pics of areas that need attention? Will be in PNW next week. Never really paid attention being from LA.

Many thanks.

Sealed my windscreen with regular old silicone I had lying about. Working out well till I get new glass.
Small opening tip and sqozed it in the space betwixt the seal and body.
Always wanted to use 'windscreen' too!
Nailed it with a bonus betwixt

Basically what I assumed. Thanks. I need to look up the tool you are talking about. I thought about opening the gap with something dull and running the silicone bead underneath as far as I can get. I was looking at using Lexel. It has worked we’ll sealing all kinds of stuff for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom