Another Petronix Coil Wiring Question ('74 f.5) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, i know... this has been covered a million times, but i'm having trouble getting spark to the coil and not sure what's going on.

1974 Fj40 with a new Petronix Igniter Ii and the Flamethrower II coil with a new gear reduction starter.

On the starter end of things I have the B/Y wire connected to the starter along with the power from the battery of course. The black wire and black/white wire not connected (picture)

On the coil end, I am not using the ballast resistor, so i have the red wire and black wire form the distributor connected to the + and - respectively on coil. There are 3 wires next to the coil, B/Y, B/W and Black. i just need to know which wire is supposed to supply the power to the coil? I have looked at the wiring diagram and it says the B/Y, but I have read that the diagram is incorrect on one or two of the years.

The starter is turning over fine, but neither B/W or B/Y wire seem to be supplying power when connected to the + side of the coil.

20170802_135206.jpg

20170802_135249.jpg

Keep looking. There are TWO B/Y wires. Chances are you need the OTHER one.

Got it.... it was the B\Y wire next to the coil. The problem was old wiring. Traces the wires back and once I got the blower motor working, suddely i had power to the B\Y wire next to the coil. The B\Y wire runs aling with the blower switch.

You need a ground on that starter, the large black one. Bolt it to the frame.

Already one there.... outside of the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom