Another Home-Brew Drawer System Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love it! I have been trying to figure out some ideas very similar to this. Question though, the removeable top, Is it secured when installed? What keeps it from poping out when you hit bumps, etc.

I also assume you dont use the 2nd drawer when offroad? I mean you have the fridge in so it doesnt need to be secured. [STRIKE]Any pics with the fridge installed?[/STRIKE]

looks like I caught you mid posting...

Love it! I have been trying to figure out some ideas very similar to this. Question though, the removeable top, Is it secured when installed? What keeps it from poping out when you hit bumps, etc.

I also assume you dont use the 2nd drawer when offroad? I mean you have the fridge in so it doesnt need to be secured. [STRIKE]Any pics with the fridge installed?[/STRIKE]

looks like I caught you mid posting...

I have holes drilled for screws, but i doubt i will ever need to screw it down...the fit is SNUG.

I'll only have the fridge in on longer trips. Yes, pics on page 4.

I'm learning that the advantage of the drawers isn't the ability to carry more stuff. In fact it's probably the opposite as the structure robs quite a bit of space. Bur rather the benefits are twofold: a) you stay organized. You can have bags of food, clothes, tents, water, etc and still access your critical gear without rummaging through everything. You don't end up unpacking/shuffling through stuff trying to find item xyz. b) flat sleeping surface.

I think in the end they really add usable space because you are able to stack stuff. You have 2 levels of cargo space which really allows you to pack in 3 dimensions much easier.

dude, that is awesome.

Thx!

I think in the end they really add usable space because you are able to stack stuff. You have 2 levels of cargo space which really allows you to pack in 3 dimensions much easier.

This x2...I definitely picked up more useable space, even though my total available space theoritically went down. Organizing all the clutter is the true benefit of the drawers.

Inevitably those pair of gloves, tools, whatever will be at the bottom of the stack necessitating an unpack/repack to get to. Or worse, you throw everything around in your truck looking for it because everyone is waiting for you and you have this huge mess for the rest of the trip.

Nice job. I really like your idea of the removable drawer/fridge slide adaptation. I wish I had thought of that when I made mine last year!

Ok Dude, that is simply awesome.

I wanted to say thank you for your great thread it really helped me out when building my drawers. They almost look like yours but I did the handles upright.

Thanks again:cheers:
drawers.jpg

Last edited:
Some of these are pre carpet but shows rear compartments, side compartments and drawers extended. I decided to go with piano hinges because of cost, I will be riging a spring system to keep the flip open lids sucked down to stop them from rattling. All in all a fun project I took from you and RobRed, im not sure if im going to attempt the cooler slide yet.

I used your same dimensions, and a single drawer. I supported the top with square tubing.
Pics
ForumRunner_20120624_082043.jpg

ForumRunner_20120624_082134.jpg
ForumRunner_20120624_082043.jpg
ForumRunner_20120624_082134.jpg

I wanted to update my drawer build.....

I would no longer recommend covering it with speaker carpet. The hot temperatures in the car cause allot of the glue to come off and the carpet to bubble. I have since removed all carpet and had it linex'd. Now its bomber.... I love how the storage has worked out but would not do the compartments behind the rear seats, instead I would do full length drawers. They do hold allot but are hard to access when gear is on top of the drawers.

I would no longer recommend covering it with speaker carpet. The hot temperatures in the car cause allot of the glue to come off and the carpet to bubble. I have since removed all carpet and had it linex'd. Now its bomber.... I love how the storage has worked out but would not do the compartments behind the rear seats, instead I would do full length drawers. They do hold allot but are hard to access when gear is on top of the drawers.

thanks for the update. I think i may just spend the money and buy the ARB drawers since i cant find anyone to help me build or build these drawers for me.

I don't disagree with you on the longer drawers...if I did mine over again I would definitely do that.

BUT, i have had zero issues with the speaker carpet. Your glue must have been defective in some way. Mine still looks as good as the day I put it on, and it gets way over 110 degrees in my truck when it's hot here.

Saint.... I think your probably right, the audio shop I used to have the carpet installed definitely used bad glue. Long story short they blamed me for coating the box in a semi gloss paint, saying that's what effected proper adhesion. I got my money back and used it for the LineX.......

In making the drawers full length the only problem I see is that the drawer slides go up a good bit in price.

I just put them to a full test two weeks on the road camping and I couldn't be happier. All of my stuff is in its place and easy to access. Kinda hard to imagine how I camped before without them. I have found mini felt circles key to keeping lids from making noises while on ruff roads cost 2.50 and works great.
DSCN1451.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom