Andy's Taco build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you need a bed cap i have one for you. Leer of my 99 taco

Smart move on the cooling system and sticking with Toyota Red, I still have to do that for my newerish 4Runner.

A tip to help you out with the smoke smell, blast the a/c but keep it on fresh air not re-circulation and spray a can of Lysol into the vent outside where the fresh air goes in, this helps clean out your vents, also, Toyota has a kit too that also has a cleaner you shoot up the a/c drain hose to clean the evaporator, something to consider to help with the smell.

Thanks!

Growing impatient waiting for my RockAuto parts. The past 6 months or so it seems like everything takes a lot longer to get here!

Received my radiator in 1 day from Performance. I bought the shorter 2wd one that does not stick below the frame rails.

Performance 1778

Looking for a wheel backset recommendation for 285/75 R16 tires from those previous Tacoma owners. From what I can tell, should go with a 4".

Last edited:
Good idea with the rad.
That size tire with a 8" wide and 4" bs will rub the frame at full lock.

It will however still fit under stock 01-04 flares.

I should also add rear axle location is important and some button head sheet metal screws may be needed to secure the flare. I have axle relocation plates I used with my OME rear springs. I still have them and no longer need them. ;)

I was also thinking a little more that if you had a 3.5bs on a 8" wheel it would probably clear the frame. But you would probably need the bushwacker cut out style flares or fiberglass.

It will probably be necessary to trim some inner plastic at the fire wall and hammer the pinch weld seam over flat.

For a some perspective I am running stock 80 series wheels on my 4Runner and I don't have any rubbing issues if any minimal full lock full stuff with the body weight really into it.
The 4Runner and Tacoma front ends are identical, heck my upper and lower control arms, sway bar and spindles are off a Tacoma.
I just don't know what the factory back spacing is, maybe someone else can chime in?

I def recommend an 8" wide wheels, I never had luck with tires wearing normally on the 7" wheels.

Going to mount my LX450 wheels and tires (285/75R16) once the lift is on to see what I think!

Installed a stereo last night as well as the front springs! Also removed the chrome around the wheel wells.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Last edited:
One reason for less is that the uca's can rub the tires when aired down. Uni ball uca's allow more room. But are expensive.

One reason for less is that the uca's can rub the tires when aired down. Uni ball uca's allow more room. But are expensive.

Ah I forgot about that, to use to having the uniball upper arms, however I thought that was the nice part about the 80 series wheels, I haven't heard of guys that run them saying about having any issues on stock arms, I have the uniball arms so I haven't really noticed....

Interesting. They were over 1/2" away from the control arm. I cycled the steering lock to lock and it didn't look like it would be into the frame too hard - if at all. I do think these 285/75R16s run a little smaller than the BFG tires though.

Those tires look familiar...
Yes indeed! Been working out good on the Lexus.

Glad to hear it! Love the new Taco, enjoy.

Not wasting any time! You thinking about a solid front axle swap at some point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom