Ambulance door fit issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me what's going on with these doors? I picked up this 40 up over the weekend and can't figure out whats going on. Needless to say the bottom of the doors don't latch. The top looks fine, has a 1/4 gap between door and roof.
Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4244.JPG IMG_4243.JPG

What City Racer said.

If the striker is there, then know that you can loosen all the JIS screws on the top and tub sides of the hinges, and there are sliding captured-nut plates behind them that slide up and down an inch or so that will give you room to move the doors up if needed.

The striker is there, the left door doesn't come close to latching at bottom. Its about 1/2" away... I will take a picture tomorrow. The top gap looks pretty good but I will try and move the doors up tomorrow anyway, Thanks guys.

was the sill replaced with the wrong one? is there an indent or is it a 90* edge? is this a recently restored truck?

^^ this
and more info please - year of mfg...
-edit- bottom of doors may have been reskinned and 'grown' taller?

From my '77 FJ40, photos of the rear sill at my amby doors and an exterior shot. It's not a perfect sill replacement, but was done well.

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

I'm thinking whoever repaired the doors didn't know what they were doing? Look at the difference in length:
IMG_4257-1.JPG
IMG_4259.JPG

Sorry, a little background on the truck might be helpful...1978 all original with the exception of the body work..
The guy I bought it off said the metal behind the seats on back was all new. The paint job is terrible but the frame was sound so I took a chance.

The good news is that it is easier to make the doors shorter than it would be to stretch them....;)

It is odd that the doors are not the same length??? Looking at your pics, my thought was that they replaced the rear quarters and let the top rails sag a little creating a smaller door opening. I don't see how you could push the door up enough to clear at the bottom.

Be happy to measure door lengths for you tonight if someone doesn't do it first...

I have one at 40 5/16 and one at 40 1/16....God only knows what they have done? I plan on painting the truck another color next year so might revisit this with the body shop then.
Thanks again for the help.

I think I smell Bondo (lots?) on those doors. I've done work to my doors/sill but I think they remain close to stock (1978) dimensions. Both doors outside are 40 3/8" tall (door - not the rubber). The opening looks like it's around 40 3/4 inches - dark in the garage right now. They seem to fit/work/latch fine with new OEM rubber.

Here are the dimensions off of my 1978 40:

Doors overall opening

H 40 -11/16" x W 41- 5/8" bottom W 40 -7/8" top

Doors

Left door ~ W 20 -1/2" x H 40 -3/8" ------|
---------------------------------------------------- | Door Height Same
Right door ~ W 20 - 5/8" x 40 -3/8" ------|

I hope this helps your door dilemma.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom