Ambient Lighting write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive seen this come up a few times and wanted to share a quick write up for the group.
My 2005 LC has indentions in the overhead light area which I understand some later model LCs/lexus have ambient lights in. I ordered two LEDs and a remote RF control from sueprbrightleds and installed these over the weekend. This took about an hour start to finish.

I bought a pair of white and red LEDs and ultimately installed the whites (one of the reds didnt work upon delivery) FYI: if you dont know, red has less impact on night vision so would make for a better choice for ambient lighting

I also bought this RF remote mainly to control the brightness of the lights. it has all these other trick options (strobe etc) but what I like most is, once you set the brightness you like, the rf module keeps that as the setting so you dont have to mess with them again.

So, on to the install:
1. unscrew the screw inside the glasses case facing the roof
2. pull straight down (4 clips hold the overhead console to the roof)
3. unplug everything
4. unscrew the homelink box (the location for the LEDs is under this)
5. drill holes in the indentions
6. snap in included led ring
7. slip in LED light from back, hot glue in place
8. wire inline with map lights (this allows them to turn off automatically when you lock the car)
9. reinstall

Final thoughts:
1. white looks silly. red would be much better
2. you really only need one LED. I have them set to the lowest possible setting and its plenty of light
3. strobe options is great for car parties
4. no more fumbling in the cup holder for objects at night! thumbs up!

link to rf remote:
MCBRF-4A Single Color LED Mini Dimmer with Dynamic Modes - RF Remote | Single Color LED Dimmer Switches | LED Controller & LED Dimmers | LED Strip Lights & LED Bars | Super Bright LEDs

link to leds:
Wired 12V DC LED Pack | Pre Wired LEDs and LED Bolts | LED Accent Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

led install.jpg

led install2.jpg

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

Nice write up. My LX has factory amber colored ambients, the amber is a nice compromise between daylight-white and submarine-commander-red.

Nice. I have to go look to see of my 01 has these indentations. My S4 has red lights in the same position and they're awesome for seeing without wrecking your night vision.

Will it work if you direct wire them without that remote?

8. wire inline with map lights (this allows them to turn off automatically when you lock the car)

Great write up! So quick question, both of these LED are on all the time when the car is on, correct?

Nice. I have to go look to see of my 01 has these indentations. My S4 has red lights in the same position and they're awesome for seeing without wrecking your night vision.

Will it work if you direct wire them without that remote?
sure will. theres also a inline adjuster id probably use if i was doing it again to set the brightness once.
link attached
Wired 12V DC LED Pack | Pre Wired LEDs and LED Bolts | LED Accent Lighting | Super Bright LEDs

Great write up! So quick question, both of these LED are on all the time when the car is on, correct?
yes. they respond to their last command from the remote so if they are left on when you turn the car off, they will turn back on when you turn the car on and stay on. during the day theyre not noticeable at all.

DF8BC15A-0309-4E38-B093-1C13AF555096.jpeg

Bringing back an old thread: Using these photos/instructions, and parts I've added much needed ambient lights to my '02 LC. Thx @d5c5b for the write-up.

For those with older trucks, without the light indentions, you need to drill a few holes and use that LED controller to adjust the lights. For my install I used only an inline controller with out the remote. Wired it up so I can easily pop out the garage door opener panel and access the controller to set the brightness. Then closed everything up afterwards. Since I planned to set and forget the lights, this set up worked out perfect.

LED controller:
Single Color LED Controller with Dynamic Modes | Super Bright LEDs

View attachment 1833965

Bringing back an old thread: Using these photos/instructions, and parts I've added much needed ambient lights to my '02 LC. Thx @d5c5b for the write-up.

For those with older trucks, without the light indentions, you need to drill a few holes and use that LED controller to adjust the lights. For my install I used only an inline controller with out the remote. Wired it up so I can easily pop out the garage door opener panel and access the controller to set the brightness. Then closed everything up afterwards. Since I planned to set and forget the lights, this set up worked out perfect.

LED controller:
Single Color LED Controller with Dynamic Modes | Super Bright LEDs
Looks great clay! And kudos to the OP..!

Ive seen this come up a few times and wanted to share a quick write up for the group.
My 2005 LC has indentions in the overhead light area which I understand some later model LCs/lexus have ambient lights in. I ordered two LEDs and a remote RF control from sueprbrightleds and installed these over the weekend. This took about an hour start to finish.

I bought a pair of white and red LEDs and ultimately installed the whites (one of the reds didnt work upon delivery) FYI: if you dont know, red has less impact on night vision so would make for a better choice for ambient lighting

I also bought this RF remote mainly to control the brightness of the lights. it has all these other trick options (strobe etc) but what I like most is, once you set the brightness you like, the rf module keeps that as the setting so you dont have to mess with them again.

So, on to the install:
1. unscrew the screw inside the glasses case facing the roof
2. pull straight down (4 clips hold the overhead console to the roof)
3. unplug everything
4. unscrew the homelink box (the location for the LEDs is under this)
5. drill holes in the indentions
6. snap in included led ring
7. slip in LED light from back, hot glue in place
9. reinstall

Final thoughts:
1. white looks silly. red would be much better
2. you really only need one LED. I have them set to the lowest possible setting and its plenty of light
3. strobe options is great for car parties
4. no more fumbling in the cup holder for objects at night! thumbs up!

link to rf remote:
MCBRF-4A Single Color LED Mini Dimmer with Dynamic Modes - RF Remote | Single Color LED Dimmer Switches | LED Controller & LED Dimmers | LED Strip Lights & LED Bars | Super Bright LEDs

link to leds:

View attachment 1197424

View attachment 1197425

View attachment 1197427

View attachment 1197428
How exactly did you wire it up. I can’t see in the pics where you have all wires going.

How exactly did you wire it up. I can’t see in the pics where you have all wires going.

The OP's images at the top show the power is spliced from one of the dome light's black and green wires. I did the same with mine.

If you'd like more info, I can pop mine open and take a few detailed photos.

The OP's images at the top show the power is spliced from one of the dome light's black and green wires. I did the same with mine.

If you'd like more info, I can pop mine open and take a few detailed photos.
Yes. Pics would be helpful. I’m still confused. Thanks again.

Yes. Pics would be helpful. I’m still confused. Thanks again.

Here yah go, this should help. I teased out the wires so you can more easily see the routing, splices, and components.

IMG_1161.jpeg

I'm going to attempt this soon. It seems like the lights are on as long as the car is on since they're wired into the power for the map lights.

Has anyone tried to tie into the homelink light power? It seems like those only turn on when the lights are on, which would be a better option, I think.

Has anyone tried to reuse the port for the LX ambient lights?

Last edited:
PXL_20210625_170026565.jpg

Overhead Console Box.png

So in that thread by @Haireez , you can see where the LX's normal ambient lights plug into. I think it'd be great to be able to use the factory plug. From what I've gathered, the outside lines are 12v, and the middle is ground.

Any idea what connector I can use there? When I search online mini pin connectors, they don't look like that. @Ayune, do you happen to know?

Or am I making a big deal about the lights being on during the daytime? @ClayPigeon How has it been having those lights on during the daytime since install?

EDIT: Just found this thread but its not answer the question of tapping into that port. Overhead console ambient lighting... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/overhead-console-ambient-lighting.904312/

Last edited:
@Red Beard Those connectors are at the PCB level, meaning they’re soldered on to a circuit board and not Toyota connectors that you’d find in their connector listings. They’re likely 1.25mm or 2mm pitch “wire-to-board” connectors made by companies like Molex, JST, JAE, and others. The pitch can be measured with a caliper, and the brand is usually molded in to the housing somewhere, either an initial (“M”), or the full company name if it’s short. They’re usually not compatible between brands.

For example, Molex’s PicoBlade is their 1.25mm pitch system, and here’s a 3-pin wire harness you can buy that just may work with our console. For $0.95 it’s worth a try:

Can you see a few letters molded in to the connector? You’ll probably need a magnifying glass.

Last edited:
@Red Beard Those connectors are at the PCB level, meaning they’re soldered on to a circuit board and not Toyota connectors that you’d find in their connector listings. They’re likely 1.25mm or 2mm pitch “wire-to-board” connectors made by companies like Molex, JST, JAE, and others. The pitch can be measured with a caliper, and the brand is usually molded in to the housing somewhere, either an initial (“M”), or the full company name if it’s short. They’re usually not compatible between brands.

For example, Molex’s PicoBlade is their 1.25mm pitch system, and here’s a 3-pin wire harness you can buy that just may work with our console. For $0.95 it’s worth a try:

Can you see a few letters molded in to the connector? You’ll probably need a magnifying glass.
I can’t get access to the connector without tearing apart the black plastic part that holds the chip board. Do you have a best guess on which plug it would be? I don’t see any letters on the male ends that I can see.

Here’s another connector from that area:

20F85C96-40A2-4ED7-8C80-6DA3606BFDD9.jpeg

I can’t get access to the connector without tearing apart the black plastic part that holds the chip board. Do you have a best guess on which plug it would be? I don’t see any letters on the male ends that I can see.

Here’s another connector from that area:

View attachment 2925331
The connector you have in your hand should have some characters molded into it, on the flat face that the wires go into. Prolly wicked hahd to see, as they’d say in Boston.

The connector you have in your hand should have some characters molded into it, on the flat face that the wires go into. Prolly wicked hahd to see, as they’d say in Boston.
I think it says MXJ 1. The others connectors look like "msh53" and "mxj35"

I just picked up a LX console from a local junkyard and that 3 pin connector seems to have “MXJ 1” and 1 on the other side of it. A quick google looks like that may be Molex, like you suspected.

I ordered the Molex PicoBlade connector you linked, for 95 cents plus shipping I can give it ago. I did notice that our console's connectors look slightly different than the molex connector. Our console connector has an angled edge and no notches on the side. Where the molex one has square edge and protrusions on the side. I'm assuming I can dremel those bits to fit.

656D11FC-E75D-4E09-8677-52AA662C430B.jpeg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5093.jpg

Here is a better photo of the Molex connector:
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.26.24 AM.png

Last edited:
I think it says MXJ 1. The others connectors look like "msh53" and "mxj35"

I just picked up a LX console from a local junkyard and that 3 pin connector seems to have “MXJ 1” and 1 on the other side of it. A quick google looks like that may be Molex, like you suspected.

I ordered the Molex PicoBlade connector you linked, for 95 cents plus shipping I can give it ago. I did notice that our console's connectors look slightly different than the molex connector. Our console connector has an angled edge and no notches on the side. Where the molex one has square edge and protrusions on the side. I'm assuming I can dremel those bits to fit.

View attachment 2925555

View attachment 2925615
View attachment 2925616

Here is a better photo of the Molex connector:
View attachment 2925617
Noice. Yup, MX means Molex and “1” is the Pin 1 location. Did you manage to measure the distance between the pins?

Noice. Yup, MX means Molex and “1” is the Pin 1 location. Did you manage to measure the distance between the pins?
Thanks for all the help, by the way. :beer:

Yeah, I used an old school caliper, it looked closest to 1.25mm. Definitely not 2mm.

I reached out to Molex to see if they've seen that connector before and if they still make something that will fit. I'm debating just cutting the one I have to finish this project but I am interested if there's something we can reproduce for LC owners who want a plug n play solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom