AM/FM antenna thoughts on classic car (not drilling body holes)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an old Audi that is somewhat rare. It has an antiquated dual antenna system and I just put a new audio system in it only to find the antenna system uses a front and rear amplified antenna in the windows, and at the factory head unit there are two coax cables. Naturally, the new head unit has one coax antenna input like every other one on the planet. So, I'm bypassing the factory antennas and want to mount either a rubber whip externally without drilling any body hole, or get one of those inside mounted antennas.

Anybody have experience with these? The rubber whip may be out simply because I'd have to clamp it to the edge of the hood or trunk and this often mars the paint badly over time. So I guess I'm most interested in the interior mounted antennas.

Thanks in advance,

DougM

Mount an ARB on it and bolt the antenna to that.

and yeah, what's radio - some kind of pink noise?

j/k
cheers,
george.

Last edited:
People still listen to the radio?

What's "radio"?

Is that some new feature on Pandora?

:D

Actually you may not even need the FM antenna, just connect the AM antenna and see how that goes. Your FM reception may be fine.

So, just to end this thread, I found a work around. Turns out these are not just antennas but powered antennas. I groped around a bit and found a way to power the rear antenna, then got an adapter for the weird Audi antenna fitting and plugged it into the rear antenna for am/fm. It's working at least in the garage - will see how it is on the road when i get the interior all together. Serious recommendations for Pioneer's D series speakers. Phenomenal musical reproduction to the point you can put in 5 CDs in quick succession and play a few minutes of each and easily pick out the ones that were mastered cheaply/poorly.

DougM

People still listen to CDs?

Heh. It should probably be a separate thread, but I hear a marked improvement in sound quality when I listen to a CD vs the commonly used music files on people's phones. Particularly the iPhone/iTunes junk (which I also use).

DougM

C'mon dude, do it right. Tube amps, turntable, with LPs.

;)

I can see it now, a fully gimbaled turn-table sitting on linkage and RC car coil-over shocks....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom