Alternator suggestions for SBC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have gone through two summit racing 140amp alternators now. Both times the internal regulators have failed after minimal usage. I was using the sum-810344 alternator as I need the extra amps for winching, stereo, and the Derale dual electric fan. Any suggestions on an alternator (3 wire) that will last. Looking for a high output alternator.

When I bought my alts and starters for my 40's, I looked up where the national a/p chain stores were located and picked the chain that was most common in the areas where I go wheeling. Their alts and starters have lifetime warranties, so if I have an issue with one, I could easily swap it for a new one. I upgraded my alts with 100+ amp outputs. I use the winch quite often. I havent had to replace one for a long long time.

What do you have for battery(ies)? Maybe a beefier battery or 2 and less amp/more common alternator would work. Do you know what amps your fans pull? Are they both always on or kick on at certain temp, etc? Ever thought about switching to a clutch fan to relieve some needed juice?

and pricey, but I don't want to have to carry a spare all the time.

They are pricey, but they are really good alternators, and have really high output if that is what you are looking for.

What do you have for battery(ies)? Maybe a beefier battery or 2 and less amp/more common alternator would work. Do you know what amps your fans pull? Are they both always on or kick on at certain temp, etc? Ever thought about switching to a clutch fan to relieve some needed juice?
I will be replacing the battery. I currently have a good battery that is older in there. But will be upgrading to a AGM battery. The fan pulls 17.4/23.5 amps and is set at temps through my handheld MSD controller for the Atomic, which pulls 14-18 (max 30) amps. Then there is the ARB twin compressor that will pull 28/50 amps depending on load. Then there are two amps for the stereo system. Then there is the Winch, electric fuel pump, phone charger, etc. So I definitely need to upgrade the battery and think I need somewhere in the range of 140 amp alternator.

Anyone know if running a 10 gauge wire from the alternator (140amp) to the battery (less than 1 foot) could burn out the internal regulator in the alternator? That is the only part of my wiring that could have caused the two alternators to fail so fast. Upgrading that wire once I get my 4 gauge wire.

Been running a 120 amp alternator out of an ‘89 Caprice Classic cop car. Paid $45 for it at the auto wreckers. The front bearing was shot... 25 years later it’s still going strong. Every 5-10 years it needs new bearings, but I’ve not been able to kill them.

Alternatively, I’d mount one of these...
954DB3A6-14D1-4183-A3EA-4A5BA19744FB.jpeg

Stock Ford alternator... 215 amp Mitsubishi Alternator. With dual rectifiers it’ll put out 215 amps all day long.

Although you’d need to beef up the front suspension for the 32 lb beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom