all these dog threads - I wanna Lab! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would pay $3-400 - I wanna good retriever to hunt birds and play frisbee every morning!

I lost out on this guy from Desert Labs in Phoenix...

The other dog I bought for $500. Pure breed and she ships around the country and her dogs win awards all the time. http://www.bbflabradors.com/. If you wanted to go that route.

pit bulls are banned from quite a few areas in Australia. Local councils have banned them from several areas in Queensland alone.This is because of the reoccuring unprovoked attacks on people including children.Often kids are shown in hospital with extensive stitching to faces,arms and legs.Of course they are not the only dog to attack but seem to be the most damaging when its done.I realise not all fit this profile, its been proved as a fact.
As for Labs being dumb, they seem smart enough to train as guide dogs and hearing dogs for deaf people.Also for sniffing out mines and booby traps with the Oz army don't know what you guys use.
Me I will just stick to my old pig dog, not the smartest,plenty game,loyal as, bloody great mate.

Picture281.jpg

Touch my truck, ya loose ya arm....Why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road?

try www. petfinder.com --

-- enter "labrador retriever" for breed, and go from there!

you'll find local lab rescues --

e

erics_bruisers said:
try www. petfinder.com --

-- enter "labrador retriever" for breed, and go from there!

you'll find local lab rescues --

e

Why go to rescues?

kill those off and get a pup. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

PabloCruise said:
I vote for the German Shepherd!

Best dogs ever...

That dog would get bonus points if it were killing that cat....

Teach a lab what?

erics_bruisers said:
this boy could teach a lab a thing or two --

-- they're very smart, pit bulls --

:D

Eric, that dog is sitting in the middle of the road! (smart)?

And looking a little goofy doing it. (man thats what I want in a lab).

Just kidding, I love what you are doing for your dogs!

But a "block head" chocolate Lab is best (for me).

PHBeerman said:
Do y'all know what the genetic difference is between a Black, Yellow, and Choc?

Color determines intelligence? What a bunch of fawking morons....

Yes, as a breed. Believe it or not, breeders have been breeding and training black labs specifically for field trials and hunting, while exempting yellows and chocolates from the breeding. Common genetics theory will show that continued breeding in this manner, while removing the yellow and chocolate labs, will ultimately result in a predominately black breeding stock. Enough of these dogs are bred across the U.S. that a large sample of genetic variance can be had for diversity while still maintaining the bloodlines and black coat. It's not the color that determines the intelligence, it's the particular breed that has been produced, which just happens to have the black coat favored by breeders. The dogs may be gentically similar, but the continued selection of the smartest, best hunting, most receptive dogs, will lead to a more intelligent bloodline. These dogs have been bred for hunting and retrieving for hundreds of years and although short term genetic drift will not cause significant intelligence variables, selective breeding over the last few hundred years has.

My long-haired lab.
DSCN1190ab.JPG

freightdog said:
All these dog pictures -

I wanna Lab - yellow / black / chocolate -

Anyone have any pups?

Yep, two weeks ago our yellow lab had pups. She has a great temperment and execellent hips!

Sure are alot of opinions on labs here. Remeber opinions are like anything else, you get what you pay for.

The arguments for the various colors of labs are mute if you do your home work. Right now I have one of each color sitting at my feet and I would hunt over any of them any day, even the yellow puppy.

I work with alot of labs in training for hunting. With the proper breeding any color is a good color. My black male is from FT lines ind is the most natural hunter in the bunch. My chocolate female is the smartest and will out hunt 95% of the "hunting" dogs out there. The little Yellow pup is 9 weeks old and is already retrieving whole goose wings and small ducks ($1,200 pup). It all boils down to propper breeding, am I repeating myself?

Here are some observations, if you want a lab get a lab. Blacks are predominant on the market. Chocolates are harder to find a dog that will hunt. There are alot of back yard (and pro) breeders breeding only for color. This does nothing for the desirable traits of retrieving. I will breed my CLF with a chocolate factored male. I may get 1 or 2 chocolates and the rest will be black. The blacks will sell for $600 and the chocolates will sell for $1,000. Like I said a chocolate that can hunt is a premium dog.

Other points, the hair from yellows shows everywhere in the house and on cloths. The black is not as bad and the chocolate is hardly noticable. As stated above an out of control dog is a reflection of its owner, not the dog. Unless you get a puppy with known lunacy (beware Cosmo) you will be fine. Find a good trainer and work with them to train your dog, it is very rewarding.

Check out www.workingretrievers.com for puppy's. Get health guarentees and look at as many pedagrees as you can. If you want a good chocolate google Cabin Creek Kennels. My CLF is out of their stock and is an outstanding dog.

Just my $.025

Fly Rod

youngdogs said:
Yep, two weeks ago our yellow lab had pups. She has a great temperment and execellent hips!

Where you located ?

Will you trade for Cruiser parts?

pictures?

Fly Rod said:
Sure are alot of opinions on labs here. Remeber opinions are like anything else, you get what you pay for.

The arguments for the various colors of labs are mute if you do your home work. Right now I have one of each color sitting at my feet and I would hunt over any of them any day, even the yellow puppy.

I work with alot of labs in training for hunting. With the proper breeding any color is a good color. My black male is from FT lines ind is the most natural hunter in the bunch. My chocolate female is the smartest and will out hunt 95% of the "hunting" dogs out there. The little Yellow pup is 9 weeks old and is already retrieving whole goose wings and small ducks ($1,200 pup). It all boils down to propper breeding, am I repeating myself?

Here are some observations, if you want a lab get a lab. Blacks are predominant on the market. Chocolates are harder to find a dog that will hunt. There are alot of back yard (and pro) breeders breeding only for color. This does nothing for the desirable traits of retrieving. I will breed my CLF with a chocolate factored male. I may get 1 or 2 chocolates and the rest will be black. The blacks will sell for $600 and the chocolates will sell for $1,000. Like I said a chocolate that can hunt is a premium dog.

Just my $.025

Fly Rod

Yep - my Coulee was $1500 and perfect!

freightdog said:
Where you located ?

Will you trade for Cruiser parts?

pictures?

I'm east of Sacramento on 80. I can send you pics this weekend (I don't have any with me at work). Both bitch & stud are great FT hunting lines. The pups go for $900. I don't know about the trade, what do you have in mind?

youngdogs said:
I'm east of Sacramento on 80. I can send you pics this weekend (I don't have any with me at work). Both bitch & stud are great FT hunting lines. The pups go for $900. I don't know about the trade, what do you have in mind?

s*** - I just don't have $900 right now - but thanks - the majority of my cash is going into my 40 - with the rest into the rear end of the 60!

White Shark said:
Yes, as a breed. Believe it or not, breeders have been breeding and training black labs specifically for field trials and hunting, while exempting yellows and chocolates from the breeding. Common genetics theory will show that continued breeding in this manner, while removing the yellow and chocolate labs, will ultimately result in a predominately black breeding stock. Enough of these dogs are bred across the U.S. that a large sample of genetic variance can be had for diversity while still maintaining the bloodlines and black coat. It's not the color that determines the intelligence, it's the particular breed that has been produced, which just happens to have the black coat favored by breeders. The dogs may be gentically similar, but the continued selection of the smartest, best hunting, most receptive dogs, will lead to a more intelligent bloodline. These dogs have been bred for hunting and retrieving for hundreds of years and although short term genetic drift will not cause significant intelligence variables, selective breeding over the last few hundred years has.

White shark, sorry for the strong point earlier, as you may guess this is a sore point with me. I used to be very active in Field Trials and this was the newbie question of choice (Read:Hey Woody Why isn't my post count rising?) You are getting closer, but still a bit off. It is not that breeders are breeding blacks exclusively, as much as it is that there are people breeding for the more sought after and more expensive Chocolates and Yellows. This back yard breeding (See Erics Pit Bulls :D) is causing the lab breed to lose some of the genetic depth that is needed.

This is the best site I have ever found to explain the genetics of lab coloring.

http://www.labrador-resources.com/color.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom