All-Cab shadow awning on a 2017 LC ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 2017+ LCs have a significant air spoiler which limits the ability to raise the hatch under 270 awnings. I have a Front Runner Slim II rack and a BNIB All- Cab 270. OK4WD believes the standard brackets will not allow for a full opening...maybe only 30%? They are allowing me to return if BNIB. ( My ignorance for not predicting this problem). Has anyone completed a similar install??

Observations:
Alu-Cab videos show a cross beam which projects at a 45 degree angle off the back. The smaller support beam which parallels the spoiler does not appear to be a problem. I believe the large air spoiler would hit the cross beam.

The Bush CO. videos of the new XT awning shows a rear beam projecting straight off the rear (parallel to the vehicle side). Rex Guardione, owner of Wrecks & Effects, is the distributor for the Bush XT awning. He has been very helpful offering to demonstrate (via WhatsApp) , how the brackets allow for a high and low position. This feature coupled with the angle of the rear support would allow for a 100% opening of the 2017 hatch.

My dilemma: If I return the Alu-Cab (pay transport costs, of course), the delivery for the Bush is June. As a Rocky Mountain retiree, I typically spend much of March - early May in Utah and AZ. A 270 awning set up is a high priority for me (no poles or strings). Obviously, it is not a big deal to partially close the canopy each time you need access to the upper rear hatch. I simply wanted more input before opening the All-Cab.
Thanks

Here's an alternative - it's a new kid on the block so I can't comment on quality (though I did get to see it in person - seemed OK but due to the light aluminium construction I do have concerns about how it will hold up over time, or one big wind gust you weren't prepared for how much damage it would do) - RLD DESIGN GhostAwn 360 Awning

Quite the dilemma, immediate gratification or sub-optimal setup. I'd probably wait and go w/ the Bush Co. but that's just me. Keeping the Alu and selling it when the bush comes in might net a loss equal to paying for shipping it back?

The 2017+ LCs have a significant air spoiler which limits the ability to raise the hatch under 270 awnings. I have a Front Runner Slim II rack and a BNIB All- Cab 270. OK4WD believes the standard brackets will not allow for a full opening...maybe only 30%? They are allowing me to return if BNIB. ( My ignorance for not predicting this problem). Has anyone completed a similar install??

Observations:
Alu-Cab videos show a cross beam which projects at a 45 degree angle off the back. The smaller support beam which parallels the spoiler does not appear to be a problem. I believe the large air spoiler would hit the cross beam.

The Bush CO. videos of the new XT awning shows a rear beam projecting straight off the rear (parallel to the vehicle side). Rex Guardione, owner of Wrecks & Effects, is the distributor for the Bush XT awning. He has been very helpful offering to demonstrate (via WhatsApp) , how the brackets allow for a high and low position. This feature coupled with the angle of the rear support would allow for a 100% opening of the 2017 hatch.

My dilemma: If I return the Alu-Cab (pay transport costs, of course), the delivery for the Bush is June. As a Rocky Mountain retiree, I typically spend much of March - early May in Utah and AZ. A 270 awning set up is a high priority for me (no poles or strings). Obviously, it is not a big deal to partially close the canopy each time you need access to the upper rear hatch. I simply wanted more input before opening the All-Cab.
Thanks

Alu-Cab Shadow Awn owner here....I have a 2010 LC With a Prinsu rack, Alu-cab RTT and the Alu-cab Shadown Awning. I have the awning mounted directly to the side of the RTT with the factory Alu-cab mounts. This raises the awning up probably 4 or 5 inches higher off the roof than I imagine yours would be with it mounted to the side of the Front Runner rack. On mine, if I have the awning set up, and I go to open the rear hatch, the spoiler does in fact hit one of the cross braces on the awning. (Sorry, but I can't remember for sure if its the 45 degree brace or the straight across one, but I believe it is the 45 degree one.) Since my awning sits up several inches higher off the roof because it is mounted directly to the RTT, my spoiler just barely hits the cross bar on the awning. I can carefully push the cross bar ever so slightly up and get the rear hatch all the way open. The cross brace rests on the spoiler when I do this and I put a rag on it so it dosen't get scratched up. Honestly, with the awning mounted any lower at all, I can't see getting the hatch to open if the awning is deployed. And if the awning is mounted several inches lower, as I suspect it would be with yours, I'd say OK4WD's estimate of only getting it open 30% is probably accurate. I can't imagine you would be able to open it far enough to be able to get anything in or out of the back without at least partially closing the awning. The good news is, as you mentioned, it is super simple to close the awning partially to get the hatch open. Just loosen and remove the elastic strap that holds the awning tightly open, and just push the awning to the side. Takes prob 10 seconds. This is actually what I did for a while after I first installed mine, before I realized I could just barely get it open if I push the cross bar up. But yeah, after paying the kind of money one of these cost, it was a bummer to see the spoiler was in the way. The spoiler causes double trouble for me, as it makes it impossible to use the ladder for the RTT at the rear of the vehicle. Besides the issue with the spoiler though, I absolutely love the awning itself. It is super easy and very quick to set up and take down, and not having to use any sort of tie downs or poles 95% of the time is awesome. I had an ARB awning previously, and it was hard to justify the huge price difference before I bought the Shadow Awning. But now that I have it, I dont think I could go back. If you have any specific questions, just let me know. I can probably take some pics too if you need them, if it warms up some.

Observations:

Thanks
How about this as an option?: Peregrine 270 Right hand mount(US Passenger Side) Awning with LST - 23ZERO USA
They advise no interference with the rear spoiler.

Here is my old 2008 with a gamiviti rack and the shadow awning. The hatch opened about 95% before touching the awning arm. I attached a thin felt pad to the arm that made contact with the hatch and all seemed well.

Incidentally, the current owner of my old truck has a Alucab tent and awning, and he removed the rear spoiler because of the issue @Higgin mentioned above.

Thanks for the responses. My preference is for a smaller strong freestanding 270 canopy to best survive strong winds. I have been camping for 50 years...seen it all. Small family...wife, dog..no kids. No need for a large shade area.

Mogwai summed it up nicely.. immediate gratification for sub-optimal setup. However the situation has changed. The Bush Co. Jan shipment will have some additional XT awnings. The new problem is a bracket for my Front Runner rack. I do not believe the L shaped bracket offered by Bush will work. The Alu-Cab bracket is custom made for the Slim II. The Bush XT would be perfect with their RTT side mount. But, I love the flexibility of my quick set up Gazelle ground tent.
( Senior citizens don't do well climbing up ladders in the dark)

I am leaning toward the lighter weight 5052 marine grade aluminum Alu-Cab. It will provide an easy mounting, lower cost option due to my Black Friday sale. The Bush XT adds 8 lbs due to the 316 marine grade stainless steel and a potential mounting problem. I travel lite...no second row seats.

I will accept the "sub optimal setup" regarding the air spoiler. I would strongly recommend any potential 270 or RTT buyers look into the Bush Co. products. In the meantime, I will sleep on it for a few days before slicing open the BNIB.

Thanks for the responses. My preference is for a smaller strong freestanding 270 canopy to best survive strong winds. I have been camping for 50 years...seen it all. Small family...wife, dog..no kids. No need for a large shade area.

Mogwai summed it up nicely.. immediate gratification for sub-optimal setup. However the situation has changed. The Bush Co. Jan shipment will have some additional XT awnings. The new problem is a bracket for my Front Runner rack. I do not believe the L shaped bracket offered by Bush will work. The Alu-Cab bracket is custom made for the Slim II. The Bush XT would be perfect with their RTT side mount. But, I love the flexibility of my quick set up Gazelle ground tent.
( Senior citizens don't do well climbing up ladders in the dark)

I am leaning toward the lighter weight 5052 marine grade aluminum Alu-Cab. It will provide an easy mounting, lower cost option due to my Black Friday sale. The Bush XT adds 8 lbs due to the 316 marine grade stainless steel and a potential mounting problem. I travel lite...no second row seats.

I will accept the "sub optimal setup" regarding the air spoiler. I would strongly recommend any potential 270 or RTT buyers look into the Bush Co. products. In the meantime, I will sleep on it for a few days before slicing open the BNIB.
This bracket may be a solution:

The Awning-Lock 2.0 is a good option for raising the mounting position. However, it appears there are only two bolts connecting the bracket to the cross rail inserts. The Alu-Cab pivot corner bracket (8.25" long) has five bolts connecting to the main frame side rails. The Awn-Lock 2.0 offers four bolts to the aluminum canopy frame while the Alu-Cab has four at the pivot and two at the end cap. See pic
I feel the All-Cab bracket is a stronger setup, custom built for the Front Runner rack. I have obviously opened the box, decided to keep the 270 awning with the trade off being limited access to the rear.
Thanks again for your suggestion.

Alu-Cab bracket.jpeg

I originally had my Shadow Awn mounted to my Alu Cab Tent, and everything cleared fine. I have since moved the tent to my trailer, but I've kept the awning on the 200, mounted to my Front Runner Rack using the Front Runner Mount shown above.

The awning now sits lower, but the spoiler still cleans. It does not contact any of the swings arms on the awning, but with the rear door fully open, the rear wiper does. I don't think it's a big deal, but your mileage may vary.

MOIYVDhS-ukMdtkDtNVgzTznqP9X7TVgMvzRXUeaBcK7Z7dY9yv-lFGkVkPL4RAc0f42rm0DVgaly1XvH9S6stB9GJE9zg2ZzQaCinKiAEYxnxaLn2FegCv-u8_JqMr6jXDXu0P5aRCZ5wBK9L3ANqpXlxzFPbK_vHGiV4VLTQaeRS5COvFaquaKdXK22gH1CbwHfHDmJm_vpUzdPVvC0vHoTC6roWdIViEIBaO21WcqBG-UbJj0Uk_ZY6aDLYJ_MgEWKShGJ3VY8A2YpaPwBqIFS_5hHSH00XEyYC3wsFq9upRGEelZNmyMkNxUznGgp3BAxOuunTHM1_NO91LBZnt5c9rWZ9KAkp7ZZhk1JEq3rDvIMpoxCIagp4O5fyBi6tnrrW9lXU5MrWt2ipI9P7XJ5kg3yYgVr8Y8eUhksEWjtopxjnKJB1HidKiG-SNs4v0DALrdnTQT75sr239vU3KmRd5A2kpUy1q75bZnUy4KspzDAAQ5CyWzNxy5ZZBBQnoqE1001ALi5b96nc26w2zuWQ4IRmcEj2H37PeDiQTbb6_HIUlzXlVPsLhJvfBT8ZkLSSKj4eQAdxYhk4lxY3CJh_zukubgSILR_kdWZp7MfBomxcqbg_IemzeEFx1ZwcEvaboQJc59NfhJG51L8_av7cmnxWuTyxhdWuBchKEojX3bRpDhsczk=w1666-h937-no

9ZJU14Z7VmLkQmWpGKPWwYvns8rbUSws2qlnKCBJ5jmDrTUehPa4SCNJnFxFUR2Z0zWwgqbJzl4Vi9YMOASrFnINaj1J0nTg_IicB36n_C2Va8ZLvpSvDiEzu18B24jC7fvCgb6RNmg26nT_XWfPNUS9OwMYiNWyfEVe-eBzFfRzv2SWuf4AhPn1C_REUGG6lc_dkfcz5nmh-xBUsFKyrEZSuSei_6ogJBcML4_l28Ty8ppsb2dpeKgxiG835dBHvtkB96d4GxhMezOqVlAjVzTgxNN58yhC74H7p0mZLpl2lFqXQK_D8Co63lvvhX5A47lnFUVRoTGC9HLG0P6wf3tBS2fn3vpxmZTPRGeoEAAt-JTLUIPBNZvA6nR8P8ro8BWmUhQcDPmR026-QzzQwS55huvOwRoMdidFW59BD1IyzSC_pGd3BJXdibRLWeHwx8R4qVrqFJfEjaVI_8nwNNbjecCf66Z_y7O8zkIz1D6hZ9exz1fw6Ch9PbxD56gyDIEQtaKXA91cEELuUOcHXaqUviPB4IEZOTJnttSgGt7V0Q-IkrSF7lWoRdzkIWcZqPpAYVkZvCulXlR4G4eOuSiAoysG3n9Q5QEV9hEKsVRU0hxM8UklKzAmPEnXhgQaMW-fxj4_17K8pPlfKmqw1O_d7-8sSpnK2VddUWM6xnqurozRRodhJKbg=w1666-h937-no

8OSMxESq2xD4A4J6Krf2otYxkBL2vvZYxKJnwZbAWtfojwvQVm_pQdwgJJ7_WX-Fsadyw6eIBow7zicfavAYb5LX7-BLKoD1lv1zSRlGIsEd-TCjFWfuwNWqC7YnHtvBMAkbcMZryfwieSriUUlVRbBHRBlniQy_8Dp0zC_IJxPDXGyF_zJm4Wr-3jNHQCdEzdboM3280IT9d7cGpLHkXWQO0mL4xTYkT3eFViK-p4X0JaJuz-RlqZjOXZsSgE6LZhcb0d6dpbZYIGkI3TNR87d51IRjCDL28Md0W5zvxapI0TN4C1m_MzGMoXO2-GrNWHDNdVhAp2tMK5AoHXPGeWM4ItlqLUYoGm-6klsD_WNzQAOJeK0TTZjqZEWeE6RfkNVfwnuXed_28f3JOZco7uhT0rrcyccFMhYyY0-IxLKqShWxvtjy73co1z-qtm9aYUcjOxKh_yKC5pJfqGci8VvT9j9r-RGy8XwflEvEx4RGyMXSiW4yeEYykqd47yFLyFDHKcPNrw4BTsjld6l-dlK0UjPEzZLZnLCZuSNQGoMmgNkKenE-fHe7NsiQzTYmjtHZlCPGpI2YNR_KKhkLQwRdO9MvgexmNlrVFOJSTJmfYSOr6KMfscAw7yqe9fupVlzHDqAnxFwydGByhS7w37CXDBj6STvOj8ovDyCme4Aq34hcbaKW_Uxm=w1666-h937-no

Great pics, hopefully it will clear. I must wait out our usual 300+ inches of snowfall before the install in late March. I will post the result.

Great pics, hopefully it will clear. I must wait out our usual 300+ inches of snowfall before the install in late March. I will post the result.

You decided to stick with the Alu-Cab I take it

Comparing that the the 23Zero pedigreene and also reached out to Rex on the Alpha Awning. The 23Zero looks pretty good and is less $$.

I also have an Alu-Cab RTT, but likely wouldnt run that all season so could mount to the alu-cab or the rack.

For those with the Alu-Cab RTT on the 200, did you have to modify the RTT or just use the provided slots. There was a person on Expo who said they had to modify their RTT to add the awning and they didnt want to take it off and have open holes?? I thought they mounted right into the RTT Grooves.

EDIT: I found the answer,, you do have to drill holes in the RTT Alu-Cab Awning Mount Kit For Expedition III Roof Top Tent

How hard is it to take the Awning off and on

Last edited:
How hard is it to take the Awning off and on

2 bolts in the front and 4 at the rear pivot. It's not hard, but it's long and weights 53lbs, so having an extra pair of hands certainly helps.

Romer....check my bracket pics above. You will see the six holes referenced by TRD. It is 8.5 feet long and heavy. Definitely need two people. I will mount mine in late March...after snow melts⛷

I thoroughly considered the Alu-Cab awning, but decided to go with the Rhino Rack Fox Wing because the Alu-cab awning is very large. Its a great piece of kit but when I saw one on a 200 I did not like the mounting options and the overall aesthetic. As was mentioned before, Gamiviti has brackets for the Alu-Cab rack.

Thanks - That reason is making me lean towards the 23Zero or Rhino as its lighter and I could use brackets that dont have to be bolted on

I have been in discussion with Gamiviti on their brackets :)

FWIW I had an arb awning on my 100 for years that we very rarely used. After having the Alu cab on the 200 I can say it has been used a ton more. The quick and easy one person operation and no need to set poles/spikes, along with the larger coverage area, has made it much more useful and more frequently deployed.

I mounted mine to my roof rack using two sets of L-brackets I bought from Paul at Equipt. I don't see them on their website but they may still have them. With two sets, my ALU-Cab awning is very secure and is just above my spoiler when deployed.

I was looking for a bracket mount I could mount to my Gamiviti rack and would allow me to take the RTT on and off and still use the awning in either configuration.

I think the Alu-Cab is very robust as well as the new Bush XT awnings

I can remove my tent and still use the awning, in theory. I've done it but with my RTT mounted how I have it now, it's a semi-permanent installation. It's just too difficult to get to all the parts, no fault of the awning.

I was finally able to install my Aluminum-Cab Shadow awning to my Front Runner Slimline II roof rack. It allows clearance of the rear air spoiler on my 2017. Felt stripping is provided to protect the wiper blade.

My apologies for doubting TRD Burglar 's install post and pics above.

The product quality is exceptional despite the need to trim the rear steel bracket in order to attach one of the bolts to the rack. It should also be noted, the Alu-Cab fitment instructions are inaccurate. All-Cab now delivers the cover and awning strap pre-riveted to the aluminum frame. Lastly, one needs to coat the bare steel brackets.

The design of a one pole set up will be very useful. Aluminum-Cab does have pre-riveted straps on all of the other poles for tie downs. Can't wait for my annual spring trip to Moab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom