All Brake Fluid Leaked Out from Rear Bleeder Screw. Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UGN

Threads
I had an emergency last night and lost almost all brake fluid while taking my Lexus for a short test drive after bleeding brake fluid (The right brake bleeder screw in the rear leaked out the fluid). It leaked in the garage and everywhere on the road.

I do not know if there is any damage to the braking system yet. What do I need to do in this case? The brake reservoir was completely empty but there are no warning lights in the dash panel except for the parking brake light. There are some brake fluid in the reservoir now (I guess it returned from the brake booster overnight).

I used a Motive power bleeder to bleed brakes. If I replace the brake caliper with a new one and bleed all lines again will it be enough?

Last edited:
Do the cheap thing first. Refill the reservoir and keep a good eye on it as you re-bleed everything according to the FSM sequence. Then keep an eye on it to make sure there are no further problems.

And you should be able to just replace the bleeder screw in the caliper, unless it's rusted out or otherwise boogered. $5-10 at any parts store.

Do the cheap thing first. Refill the reservoir and keep a good eye on it as you re-bleed everything according to the FSM sequence. Then keep an eye on it to make sure there are no further problems.

And you should be able to just replace the bleeder screw in the caliper, unless it's rusted out or otherwise boogered. $5-10 at any parts store.
Thank you @saucebox, the old bleeder screws were in terrible condition, both were missing caps and rusted from inside and outside, I replaced them with OEM ones but it did not help on the right side and it was leaking from the center even it was torqued to the specs. Is there anyway to repair the seating where the screw whole touches surface? The new OEM caliper costs over $300 CAD here.

I had an emergency last night and lost almost all brake fluid while taking my Lexus for a short test drive after bleeding brake fluid (The right brake bleeder screw in the rear leaked out the fluid). It leaked in the garage and everywhere on the road.

I do not know if there is any damage to the braking system yet. What do I need to do in this case? The brake reservoir was completely empty but there are no warning lights in the dash panel except for the parking brake light. There are some brake fluid in the reservoir now (I guess it returned from the brake booster overnight).

I used a Motive power bleeder to bleed brakes. If I replace the brake caliper with a new one and bleed all lines again will it be enough?

Did you replace all the bleeders when you did your brake service? That might be a good idea to just replace them all right now. Any auto parts store should have suitable bleeder replacements.

Thank you @saucebox, the old bleeder screws were in terrible condition, both were missing caps and rusted from inside and outside, I replaced them with OEM ones but it did not help on the right side and it was leaking from the center even it was torqued to the specs. Is there anyway to repair the seating where the screw whole touches surface? The new OEM caliper costs over $300 CAD here.

Dang, I don't know. If the rust is bad enough that even the inside of the caliper is rusted....I'd probably just bit the bullet and order the new caliper. And of course new caps for all of them. And @AK Wes is right—go ahead and replace all the bleeder screws.

If it's not a daily, consider something like partsouq.com or one of the other vendors online here. Slower shipping sometimes, but way cheaper than the dealerships.

Did you replace all the bleeders when you did your brake service? That might be a good idea to just replace them all right now. Any auto parts store should have suitable bleeder replacements.
Yes, I replaced both rear bleeder screws with OEM parts. The front ones are still in good shape, have caps and did not leak.

This is exactly why I replace bleeder cap and keep good ones on at all times.

After bleeding, I even blow out the bleeders with HP AIR, WD40 and than more HP AIR and let open air dry before capping.

With OEM calipers, I always use OEM bleeders.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom