Alder Canyon Feb 4th - 6th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We were house of cron week before last. Hope it's goes over easy. We didn't get very sick at all but still had to do all that quarantine stuff.

Frank
Exact same boat so far. I’m quarantining myself to the garage to work on the 40. The list of projects has gotten long

Nice! The cron helped my get my 80 running!

Frank

Looks like I can join you guys on this trip, I had it planned to go to KOH with couple of the other guys, but I am not able to get the time off work. Is anyone meeting up on the way out friday evening?

Tim is leading a wave departing the I15/76 park and ride at 3:15PM Friday. I am heading up passed there but will be an hour or so behind.

Frank

great run!

I have a few pics to upload. I didn't get as many as I'd have liked, too much attention on driving I guess.

Friday for me was nuts. Not sure how many have followed my thread on the issues I had with my truck over the last 4-5 months but it was back to running horribly Thursday, without warning. I replaced the fuel pump, no help. Then Friday the PS pump, which has maybe 500 miles on it, blew and pumped a bunch of ATF into the crank case. 1 shop and one reman so I bought it, swapped it while I did my calls/meetings, loaded up, and took off to the get the kids.

So we left at various times Friday afternoon. Tim was awesome and lead nearly all of the group to the air down area. I straggled behind having picked my kids up in Mission Hills around 3:30. I aired down and we got rolling. We had a great turnout with 6 rigs. Being that it was late and Alder Canyon camping areas are on the small side we decided to camp at Bailey's cabin and visit Alder the next day. The trail down is probably the hardest of the 5-6 times I have been there. It keeps the Subi's out for sure. Helga (Frank's sweet 60), took a little rock rash on the way down but we should be able to roll out the dent line and buff it out.

We had some variety on the run as far as rigs. We had the Actodus (FJ Cruiser), some 80's, and 60, and an 81 Blazer that was stock except for better tires. All the rigs did really well especially on the climb out which can flex you up in spots meaning a little bumping was required to get through some of the obstacles.

Friday night was a cold one. We got up and made amazing breakfast Saturday because, you know, that's how we roll. We went to Alder and explored up there. There is is a site that has been labeled Owl's Hollow, with these "nooks" tucked into trees for camping, that would be perfect for say 4ish rigs. There is another site that's flat and open and could take another 4-5, but the group wouldn't be together.
1644249234970.jpeg

1644249257687.jpeg

The kids found the running creek. Turns out our intended camp spot by the creek had no creek so it must be heading underground farther upstream.

1644249310010.jpeg

1644249327905.jpeg

1644249338863.jpeg

We got back, had lunch, hung out, did some more exploring, and had an amazing dinner. It was again another cold night but I think most of us were more prepared.

We took our time on Sunday as the group departed in stages. It was interesting to see the road during the day. It was legit 4 low pick your line wheeling in multiple spots.

Summing it up, it was so nice to camp again. My truck miraculously just started running fine somewhere in Pala on the way out. The coughing/hesitating disappeared. No CELs.. However, power is on the low side and I smelled rotten eggs wheeling around Saturday so I am guessing my cat is plugged up. Maybe it melted enough to allow the truck to run properly, who knows, at 255k miles might as well get it changed.

Frank

We came back to camp Saturday to find out the bees had moved in. Ultimately we turned blue container upwards, it all dried out, and they moved on.

1644249395362.jpeg

Therapy Truck got some use. This was my cruiser while Rathtar was under the knife all these past months.
1644249429978.jpeg

Good times by the camp fire on Saturday.

1644249465304.jpeg

On they way out...

1644249501284.jpeg

Good times for sure, first time for me to that area, really liked it. Nice to have spots like that close to home for a quick camp trip. Also, always fun camping with new people and getting the camp fire vibes going, especially once the lime pacifico's start kicking in.

Frank, you forgot to mention the boy scout troop that invaded our campsite at midnight, scaring everybody that was awake to witness it. They were hiking through on their way to anza borrego using the track that is no longer open to vehicles. Sounds like it a pretty easy hike, might be something to plan for in the future and switch it up a bit.

See you all tonight

Oh yeah, the scout troop! They were troopers for sure. That had to be one dark, cold, long hike for them. So when we were packing we had someone pass us on a mountaing bike which got me thinking this could be a fun bike packing trip too. One could get dropped off in Anza and picked up down south on the other end. I'd e up for hike or bike adventure to change things up.

Oh yeah, the scout troop! They were troopers for sure. That had to be one dark, cold, long hike for them. So when we were packing we had someone pass us on a mountaing bike which got me thinking this could be a fun bike packing trip too. One could get dropped off in Anza and picked up down south on the other end. I'd e up for hike or bike adventure to change things up.

I'm up for a mountain biking trip out there.

Maybe we could do a shuttle type run, get dropped off at Anza, meet people at sheeps creeek for camp.

It looks like a good day ride from Anza on down. That could work. We'd need to probably have a few of us prerun it to make sure we can get through middle willows. One report from years back showed it overgrown but with the lack of rain and clear traffic through the area I supsect that won't be an issue.

Frank

I've done that on horseback. Trailer up to Anza and rode down to Horse Camp in Borrego. Back then there were wild horses in that canyon.

how long did it typically take?

Four to 5 hours depending on lunch and potty breaks for the ladies. Oh yeah and for the wanna be's riding English ( there was always one trying to prove something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom