Builds AK HJ-75 (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to see if the Ute will fit under the garage door, so I installed the 255/85/16 tires I have. It is about 1/4in too tall. I guess I can add a 1/4in block between the spring and axle and lower the body enough hopefully. This is with 35psi in the tires.

View attachment 2973568
I had my wife stand on a ladder next to my truck as I eased into my garage. My instructions to her was to shout if it looked like it was going to hit. After I heard a distinctive scraping sound, she said I think it‘s hitting. 😁

Last edited:
it's a pity too high .
you can either deflate the tires or leave the truck outside if you use it on a daily basis .

Remembered there was a 2mi road kind of off the beaten path near home that is paved and suffering pretty badly from frost heaves. So we jumped in the Ute and drove this road, speed limit of 45mph. I think it definitely rides better, but might bottom out easier than with conventional springs. My wife describes the ride as being much less head bouncing around, not bouncing around like the head of a bobble head doll. So, I think it is a significant improvement, maybe not on par with a coil rig but definitely better than before.

Was going to go for a drive to the “valley” but soon after getting on the highway, speed 65mph, I remembered that the Ute still had the surging issue. So I went back home to look for something else that I might be able to work on trying to figure this out. I did advance the timing just a tad, didn’t notice any real difference, maybe just a little smoother.
So I got home and looked at the turbo, thinking maybe there is a air delivery issue. I noticed that the line off the turbo to the adjustable boost compensator was a smaller diameter than the line from the boost compensator to the waste gate. So was wondering if the smaller line was creating some kind of fluctuating to the waste gate under a certain conditions. I installed same size hoses and just for fun removed the boost controller. It only boosted to about 8psi and at hwy speed the egt ran about 100F higher, which probably makes sense since I didn’t play with the fuel. Seems like the surging was barely noticeable.
Came home and installed the adjustable boost compensator and went out again. Boost and egt’s were back to normal, but the surging was more noticeable again, maybe not as pronounced as before.
So still have the same issue. Don’t know if it’s a fuel issue or not. I can watch the boost move about 2psi when it happens but don’t notice anything different with the afr when this happens, so air issue or a fuel issue?🤷‍♂️

FC6ED9B7-9DB4-4692-957C-6B40F1CF6A9B.jpeg

FE9592D7-6F9A-4A8A-8FBC-25D0A9EE264C.jpeg

80824315-D705-418A-B842-1556C91F463E.jpeg

648B1113-9265-4EE6-9972-9C92597CF72E.jpeg

Did you dismantle the Turbosmart controller?

Michael Faraday once said "Nothing is too wonderful to be true."
In my mind I replace the word wonderful with the words f___ed up.

I guess there could be some sort of oscillating pneumatic pressure wave in the setup.
Does your engine have any electronic controls or sensors?
A computer could misinterpret the pressure and do crazy things.
Otherwise it seems to me any fluctuations in pressure in those little rubber hoses would equilibrate rapidly.
If there is a range of engine conditions that makes a steady fluctuation, subbing in longer hoses might reveal new information.
What if you put a 3 ft coil of the small diameter hose in line there?
Can you make some sort of adapter so you can try all hoses of same diameter?

Maybe something useful here? boost compensator. Torn diaphragm that only acts up with higher boost?
Maybe a weak or damaged spring in there?
I read your posts from last year about the compensator.

I used that rattle can high temp ceramic paint on my turbo and its heat shields. Did all the careful baking/curing the instructions called for in a school kiln. Wasted effort. Maybe you will have better luck.
This stuff. paint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom